New to long range

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to get into long range shooting/ hunting. I picked up a glass and I'm trying to understand how the reticle works when calculating yardage. I don't have many places i can go shoot at long distances so I'm trying to get an idea and understand each mark on the reticle. This is the reticle on the optic, just looking for some pointers and advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 87587400872_1.jpeg
    87587400872_1.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 46

gelton

WKR
For animals you are going to definitely want a rangefinder that is capable of reaching the ranges you anticipate shooting at, but if you would like to learn about using reticles to range, this is a very good resource:

JRMiller

WKR
Generally, all manufacturers have the reticle subtensions (the MOA/MIL distance between each hash mark) listed on thier site.
You need to know those first to start.
Some could be .25 MOA, some could be 2 MOA, it all depends.
As gelton posted above, T-rex has a great video series that can explain it all as well. And in understandable terms.
Older series, but still one of the best out there.

Ohearchai

FNG
How far do you presume to be shooting, calculating distance using a reticle even on items, the exact size is known can for the beginner be difficult. A good lrf can give you the distance accurately, you can then you use your reticles subextensions to hold over for the shot or for the wind hold. In my case I normally just dial and hold for the wind. If you are a beginner I do advise taking a class, can save you money, gives you an insight to long range shooting.

ChasenH1-8s

Lil-Rokslider
Following the above mentioned don’t forget your ballistic data. Most importantly, make sure to test it out before hunting. Not sure if it was mentioned already but each hash can vary based on what power you have zoomed into.
be mindful of that too.
have fun.