new to me mono's

Sled

WKR
I'm planning on dusting off the old mark v 300 wby and want to load some mono's for hunting. i've been leaning toward the hammer hunter but also curious about the cutting edge mth. i'm thinking a 180gr mono should stabilize fine out of 1:10 twist but i haven't heard a lot about terminal performance. anyone here shot both? are they sensitive to freebore like the berger vld is? how do they perform on big game?

Forest

WKR
If you are interested in the hammer hunters I'd look seriously at the absolute hammers. Same performance but gain some speed. I haven't killed anything myself with them but watched a bull and buck get killed with them last season. Excellent penetration and both drt one shot. He claimed they were easier to find an accurate load vs the eld-x he was shooting. 7 saum.
Can't speak to the cutting edge, I bet they are good bullets too tho

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
The 178 Absolute Hunter or the 181 Hammer Hunters would work well. For Absolute Hunters you need to use a much faster powder than you'd generally use for a convention lead bullet. There are a few loads listed over on Long Range Hunting Forum to help guide you. Hammer bullets are "insensitive" to seating depth though Steve suggests 20 thousands jump. Consider getting a Lee Factory Crimp die. There is a ton of info on the Hammer Bullets Forum also.

Northpark

WKR
Just don’t go higher than a 181 hammer in a 10 twist. I use the 199s with my 8twist .300 win mag. They wreck animals. Killed javelina, antelope, Aoudad sheep, feral goats, axis, deer, Oryx, mule deer, elk. All went down within 40-50 yards or less most went down immediately. They do work as advertised in the terminal performance realm. The 4 petals peel back then are shed leaving a blunt shank and four separate smaller projectiles. You usually end up with one big exit wound and 4 small ones from the petals. Super easy to tune as well. Load development has been under 20 shots for me easily.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I sent a message to Steve about the HH vs AH but haven't heard back yet. Other than increased fps is there much difference in the two? I'm sure data is hard to come by in both but I'm expecting a reasonably cautious hand loader that can read pressure signs will be fine with either?