New (to me) Vanguard spotter - Feedback appreciated

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to the forum and spotter scopes in general. Had the opportunity to pick up a practically new Vanguard Endeavor HD 20-60x82 today with vanguard pelican style case, tripod, and neoprene cover for $300. There seems to be a lot more info on here on the 65, does anyone have first hand experience with the 82?

Moving to CO from MA Feb 1 and planning to use it to get my rifle dialed in. Was wondering if I would be better off just sticking with a good pair of binos come hunting season or if this is worth hanging onto. It definitely has some weight/bulk to it. TIA
accdd024-48e7-4483-9d53-d9fbd2d358ff-jpeg.144335

Attachments

• ACCDD024-48E7-4483-9D53-D9FBD2D358FF.jpeg
    ACCDD024-48E7-4483-9D53-D9FBD2D358FF.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 91

Vids

WKR
I have the same scope but it's older than yours. They ran a special a few years ago for $550 with a tripod included, and there were a bunch of great reviews on here about it so I couldn't pass it up. When I bought it I borrowed my buddy's Swarovski and compared them side by side. Not a true comparison as his is the 65mm but to me the quality was so similar it was a no brainer to keep the Vanguard.

It is heavy, so it's not something I pack in, I have a smaller Nikon scope for that. But it is fantastic for glassing long distances from the truck. I say for $300 you should hang onto it. It will work great for sighting in rifles.

Honestly, in CO there aren't many hunts that I pack in a scope for. High country mule deer, open country antelope or a sheep/goat tag are about it. Binos are enough for other hunts. I don't carry one for elk hunting, the terrain is too thick and I'm usually looking for any legal bull anyways so I don't care about antler inches.

OP
ctfxd3

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same scope but it's older than yours. They ran a special a few years ago for $550 with a tripod included, and there were a bunch of great reviews on here about it so I couldn't pass it up. When I bought it I borrowed my buddy's Swarovski and compared them side by side. Not a true comparison as his is the 65mm but to me the quality was so similar it was a no brainer to keep the Vanguard.

It is heavy, so it's not something I pack in, I have a smaller Nikon scope for that. But it is fantastic for glassing long distances from the truck. I say for $300 you should hang onto it. It will work great for sighting in rifles.

Honestly, in CO there aren't many hunts that I pack in a scope for. High country mule deer, open country antelope or a sheep/goat tag are about it. Binos are enough for other hunts. I don't carry one for elk hunting, the terrain is too thick and I'm usually looking for any legal bull anyways so I don't care about antler inches.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Definitely going to be a bit of a learning curve hunting out West compared to the Northeast whitetail hunting I’m used to.

Vids

WKR
Thank you for the detailed feedback. Definitely going to be a bit of a learning curve hunting out West compared to the Northeast whitetail hunting I’m used to.

There is definitely a learning curve, but it's a fun one and totally worth it. I moved here from MN 16 years ago and only knew whitetail hunting at the time too. The biggest advice I can give is - don't hunt elk like whitetails. That's the mistake I made and I wasted the first 3-4 years hunting like a moron. Totally different animals with totally different behavior patterns. And expect to be skunked your first few years. It took me 8 years to get my first, but that's a little longer than most people. Just embrace and enjoy the challenge, it will make you a better hunter overall.