New to military surplus guns

def90

WKR
Well, I just got back from the gun show. I found a K98, pretty damn good condition, all matching numbers for 400.. thought that was a good price. Also found an old old Benjamin BB gun from an old veteran for 20$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always wanted a K98

See, the issue is that K98's (along with many other WW1-2 surplus rifles) come in many forms with a wide range of prices.. Was it an original German WW2 K98, a Russian refurb, a post war Czech or Yugo build, one of the "Mitchell Mousers" which were assembled from various piles of parts by an importer here in the US, and so on..

I collect post WW2 to current military rifles such as FALs, M14's, AKs, Galils, FN 49's and so on.. I own a few of the CMP M1 Garands and a CMP 1911, the CMP is the best way to get in to a surplus M1. All of the military bolt guns I have ever shot ranging from 1903's, to Mousers, Mosins and a few others have always left me underwhelmed, the Swiss K31's are generally nice shooting rifles and the Brit Enfields aren't too bad. Sure it's a piece of history but most of them have been so messed with by the long line of previous owners that anything historical about them has been lost.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
See, the issue is that K98's (along with many other WW1-2 surplus rifles) come in many forms with a wide range of prices.. Was it an original German WW2 K98, a Russian refurb, a post war Czech or Yugo build, one of the "Mitchell Mousers" which were assembled from various piles of parts by an importer here in the US, and so on..

I collect post WW2 to current military rifles such as FALs, M14's, AKs, Galils, FN 49's and so on.. I own a few of the CMP M1 Garands and a CMP 1911, the CMP is the best way to get in to a surplus M1. All of the military bolt guns I have ever shot ranging from 1903's, to Mousers, Mosins and a few others have always left me underwhelmed, the Swiss K31's are generally nice shooting rifles and the Brit Enfields aren't too bad. Sure it's a piece of history but most of them have been so messed with by the long line of previous owners that anything historical about them has been lost.

I guess that’s why I posted on the pictures to see if anyone could help me determine where mine might have come from. It sounded to me like the seller of the vet friend brought it back himself or someone close to him did and he did the changes. So it didn’t sound like it was tampered with to much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk