New to military surplus guns

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone, like anything I go through spurts of being into different kinds of guns, bows or knifes. My new kick is Military Surplus Guns in general.

I was just curious what everyone thinks about them, are they worth it? Fun to shoot, worth owning and more important is it hard to find ammo for the older models (when things are normal in the ammo world). There is a gun show coming up this weekend and am going to go look at some and was curious what I should be looking at beside price tags?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
I was into them for a good while. They are a ton of fun.

Take time looking at condition. Condition of the bore, chamber and muzzle are all great indications on condition. I liked the Yugoslavia Mausers as a great mix between quality of gun and lower price than the German stuff, but the thing will mil-surps is that your taste may vary.

Don't overlook Bubba hack jobs either. I had several 1903s and even some 1917 Enfields. They were hacked up, but I also shelled out pennies on the dollar for em and they were almost always superb shooters. After years of chasing Mosins the quality of the 1903 and 1917 actions was revolutionary to me. I can't stand the Soviet era garbage anymore, lol. But, to buy those in original unaltered condition is gonna be expensive. If the bubba gunsmith didn't drill it for a scope you can return one to "like" issued condition for usually a gew hundred. Original stocks are the hardest thing to find, but reproductions can be had for almost all of the common mil-surps.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I was into them for a good while. They are a ton of fun.

Take time looking at condition. Condition of the bore, chamber and muzzle are all great indications on condition. I liked the Yugoslavia Mausers as a great mix between quality of gun and lower price than the German stuff, but the thing will mil-surps is that your taste may vary.

Don't overlook Bubba hack jobs either. I had several 1903s and even some 1917 Enfields. They were hacked up, but I also shelled out pennies on the dollar for em and they were almost always superb shooters. After years of chasing Mosins the quality of the 1903 and 1917 actions was revolutionary to me. I can't stand the Soviet era garbage anymore, lol. But, to buy those in original unaltered condition is gonna be expensive. If the bubba gunsmith didn't drill it for a scope you can return one to "like" issued condition for usually a gew hundred. Original stocks are the hardest thing to find, but reproductions can be had for almost all of the common mil-surps.

Thank you, I’ve shot a few different guns over the years that family had and I’ve always loved the idea and thought of something that people used in war or prepared for war with them. It “continues” family heritage I guess is why I’m starting to become so fascinated with them. I come from a heavy Dutch and Italian family so starting with Carcano and looking into the M.95 is about as far as I’ve got. I’m not a huge gun enthusiast. As long as it fires, looks relatively decent and is safe… I’m happy with it.

Is there anything that you would say “please don’t ever buy that”

22lr

WKR
Thank you, I’ve shot a few different guns over the years that family had and I’ve always loved the idea and thought of something that people used in war or prepared for war with them. It “continues” family heritage I guess is why I’m starting to become so fascinated with them. I come from a heavy Dutch and Italian family so starting with Carcano and looking into the M.95 is about as far as I’ve got. I’m not a huge gun enthusiast. As long as it fires, looks relatively decent and is safe… I’m happy with it.

Is there anything that you would say “please don’t ever buy that”

Be extremely careful paying for historical value if your not an expert. People will fake the Nazi or US stamps on everything imaginable, and there are tons of low value guns like the Russian capture stuff than can be repurchased, and faked into a higher value. This isn't always an attempt to defraud, there are companies that sell these stamps for people who want a period "correct" replica down to the roll markings. Your usually fairly safe on anything not US or Nazi but just be very careful on paying for stories or historical value without documentation. Nobody in their right mind would ever fake a capture gun like a Soviet captured K98 or a Yugoslavia K98. So those tend to be the safest in terms of your probably not buying a forgery. But look for the keys, Soviet captured guns are almost always missing capture screws, or sight hoods, or sling mounts. So what's missing can tell you more than what's there.

Biggest thing that I'd say never buy are modifications or rare configuration guns. If there is a rare configuration rifle where they only made a thousand or 2, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole without the documentation. They are magnets for forgeries.

As something I'd steer away from as a specific gun. I hate all things Mosin. The earlier guns are better, but I've had early 1940s guns that I had to smack bolts open with a 2x4 after a few shots and everything started heating up. They are easily the worse built quality rifles out there, and while they are worth a Benjamin to play around with, they literally are not worth anything more than that. They are truly horrible rifles. Don't buy them unless your just trying to fill out a collection. I just can't say enough bad things about them as the platform. The old saying was you could buy 5 Mosin for the price of a K98, but the K98 is genuinely 10x the gun. So ya, I'd say the Mosin as a platform is just awful compared to any other platform, don't buy them unless you just want a Soviet era gun that was built as cheaply as possible.

Also, the older pre-WW1 stuff can also be fun to collect if you dont want to shoot them a whole bunch. Built quality before the major wars jist seems to be across the board better. Wartime production will universally mean a lower build quality, and honestly doesn't add much. If you want a rifle used in combat, look for manufacture dates prior to conflict, and production within the final 1 to 2 years of a war means it had a much lower chance of being used in actual combat vs just captured at the end in a warehouse stockpile. This is fairly universal for all the major surplus guns.

def90

WKR
Collecting them can be a lot of fun but I would say that you are about 15 years late to the game. You used to be able to pick and choose from hundreds or thousands of available directly imported rifles for dirt cheap prices. Now as alluded to above you will be paying some big bucks for an old beat up bolt gun that someone has likely swapped parts on multiple times on top of faked markings and so on.

lamrim79

FNG
They are fun. Usually better for making your wall pretty, but I have owned and shot several. The bore is usually the most messed up so accuracy in my experience was pretty iffy. More important is the fun component in saying hey lets go shoot a Garand 30-06 M2 BALL. World war II is over but lets face it, as gun owners we do enjoy a big bang. And from a gun too. And true as mentioned in another post watch out for any "historical value" upcharge. The guys I have dealt with are just like "hey i have a big crate of old guns, want one?" In my experience people who want to rip you off have foreign accents and try to sell you a stock military issue like it was the rifle that the guy who found hitler was carrying.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Collecting them can be a lot of fun but I would say that you are about 15 years late to the game. You used to be able to pick and choose from hundreds or thousands of available directly imported rifles for dirt cheap prices. Now as alluded to above you will be paying some big bucks for an old beat up bolt gun that someone has likely swapped parts on multiple times on top of faked markings and so on.

Yeah I figured I was far behind, I’m not an “avid” collector that’s going to go out and spend 1000s on a gun. I’m more of the 3-500$ range kinda guy that just wants to get some old rifles to shoot, hunt and eventually give to my kids for them to have.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
They are fun. Usually better for making your wall pretty, but I have owned and shot several. The bore is usually the most messed up so accuracy in my experience was pretty iffy. More so is the fun component in saying hey lets go shoot a Garand 30-06 M2 BALL. World war II is over but lets face it, as gun owners we do enjoy a big bang. And from a gun too!!

That’s more what I want to do with them, have guns from previous wars. It’s like shooting a part of history. It’s a weird concept but even my wife thinks it’s cool when I tell her where this gun was used between what time etc.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Be extremely careful paying for historical value if your not an expert. People will fake the Nazi or US stamps on everything imaginable, and there are tons of low value guns like the Russian capture stuff than can be repurchased, and faked into a higher value. This isn't always an attempt to defraud, there are companies that sell these stamps for people who want a period "correct" replica down to the roll markings. Your usually fairly safe on anything not US or Nazi but just be very careful on paying for stories or historical value without documentation. Nobody in their right mind would ever fake a capture gun like a Soviet captured K98 or a Yugoslavia K98. So those tend to be the safest in terms of your probably not buying a forgery. But look for the keys, Soviet captured guns are almost always missing capture screws, or sight hoods, or sling mounts. So what's missing can tell you more than what's there.

Biggest thing that I'd say never buy are modifications or rare configuration guns. If there is a rare configuration rifle where they only made a thousand or 2, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole without the documentation. They are magnets for forgeries.

As something I'd steer away from as a specific gun. I hate all things Mosin. The earlier guns are better, but I've had early 1940s guns that I had to smack bolts open with a 2x4 after a few shots and everything started heating up. They are easily the worse built quality rifles out there, and while they are worth a Benjamin to play around with, they literally are not worth anything more than that. They are truly horrible rifles. Don't buy them unless your just trying to fill out a collection. I just can't say enough bad things about them as the platform. The old saying was you could buy 5 Mosin for the price of a K98, but the K98 is genuinely 10x the gun. So ya, I'd say the Mosin as a platform is just awful compared to any other platform, don't buy them unless you just want a Soviet era gun that was built as cheaply as possible.

Also, the older pre-WW1 stuff can also be fun to collect if you dont want to shoot them a whole bunch. Built quality before the major wars jist seems to be across the board better. Wartime production will universally mean a lower build quality, and honestly doesn't add much. If you want a rifle used in combat, look for manufacture dates prior to conflict, and production within the final 1 to 2 years of a war means it had a much lower chance of being used in actual combat vs just captured at the end in a warehouse stockpile. This is fairly universal for all the major surplus guns.

I feel like that was a crash course in Military Surplus Guns. Thank you so much for all the info, I was looking at the a couple different mosin but if they aren’t worth even having I’ll stay away from them.

lamrim79

FNG
That’s more what I want to do with them, have guns from previous wars. It’s like shooting a part of history. It’s a weird concept but even my wife thinks it’s cool when I tell her where this gun was used between what time etc.

Its very cool. I'm glad you guys are into it. I am in contact with lots of guys who get these surplus rifles and I'd be happy to give you one. They are not as rare as we might think. And they are beautiful free investments for history lovers.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Its very cool. I'm glad you guys are into it. I am in contact with lots of guys who get these surplus rifles and I'd be happy to give you one. They are not as rare as we might think.

Yeah! I would really appreciate it! As of now I feel like everything I come across is what the gun sells man say are “super rare” and should cost more… I just walk away from that point. I would really appreciate any help in the matter haha

lamrim79

FNG
Yeah! I would really appreciate it! As of now I feel like everything I come across is what the gun sells man say are “super rare” and should cost more… I just walk away from that point. I would really appreciate any help in the matter haha

yeah shoot me a message i'm happy to get you in on it. My buddy just got a 6 crate of Garands and likes to pass out the history. he doesn't charge a transfer fee either so its like literally a free rifle made for world war 2 but maybe not used in world war 2? and if not, better bore for you

Remy

FNG
An M1 Garand is on 24hourcampfire, they are really fun to shoot love the ping when the clip springs out its a sweet shooting platform.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
An M1 Garand is on 24hourcampfire, they are really fun to shoot love the ping when the clip springs out its a sweet shooting platform.

I was watching some videos a couple nights ago and was thinking the same thing! I want one haha

lamrim79

FNG
Its a cool kind of heavy duty feeling rifle. Probably would have been horrible in Vietnam with the humidity affecting the stock. Thats why they changed even from the M14 to M16 to lighten up the caliber and get rid of the wood stocks. Wood stocks were not affected in Korea or anything before vietnam. If you have been there you wouldn't want to pull out any rifle. Its so hot and humid that you feel like you are starting to rust

h2so4

WKR
Here are some of my favorite mil surplus pieces.
Other than the few cmp 1911 releases and war being backs, these are the only pistols that made it out of the military.

Attachments

• 8872C97D-411F-4844-89AC-71A3B0FFE9FD.jpeg
    8872C97D-411F-4844-89AC-71A3B0FFE9FD.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
  • AC3E9947-5780-4C0B-B738-675FE18C3684.jpeg
    AC3E9947-5780-4C0B-B738-675FE18C3684.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6A5EADAF-6440-415D-9077-2A6CC190B99E.jpeg
    6A5EADAF-6440-415D-9077-2A6CC190B99E.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 8
  • BB0A8573-7C77-432B-85B1-AC59FE266D50.jpeg
    BB0A8573-7C77-432B-85B1-AC59FE266D50.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 8
  • BABF109F-B76B-463B-9726-362B7A95DC07.jpeg
    BABF109F-B76B-463B-9726-362B7A95DC07.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 8
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Its a cool kind of heavy duty feeling rifle. Probably would have been horrible in Vietnam with the humidity affecting the stock. Thats why they changed even from the M14 to M16 to lighten up the caliber and get rid of the wood stocks. Wood stocks were not affected in Korea or anything before vietnam. If you have been there you wouldn't want to pull out any rifle. Its so hot and humid that you feel like you are starting to rust

I live in South Carolina so the summer months are Brutal but I’m sure it’s even worse out there. During the summer out here the guns, bows and every outside hobby gets locked up for 3-4 months. Gotta chew the air before you breathe it haha.
I’ve felt the garand before just never had the money to be able to afford any hobbies.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Well, I just got back from the gun show. I found a K98, pretty damn good condition, all matching numbers for 400.. thought that was a good price. Also found an old old Benjamin BB gun from an old veteran for 20$.

Remy

FNG
Well, I just got back from the gun show. I found a K98, pretty damn good condition, all matching numbers for 400.. thought that was a good price. Also found an old old Benjamin BB gun from an old veteran for 20$.

I always wanted a K98