New to Mule Deer and drew a tag to try a combo

So my group drew both elk and mule deer tags in CO. We have never hunted MD, but saw them when elk hunting years ago. Our focus is elk and we assume they will be in the same locale, but if we see MD while out there, we plan to switch gears and take advantage of the game in front of us. What behavior should we expect and what tactics do you guys use?

Last 2 weeks of Sept, archery. 9-12k’.

Been listening to a few podcasts and just trying to learn what we don’t know, but expect the boots on the ground experience to be the best teacher.

Congrats on your draw!

I think you're right to be opportunistic, chase after whatever you find when you arrive.

I enjoy hunting mule deer in the high country, so I start there at the beginning of the season. Once they get pressured and move down lower I usually end up just hunting elk because I'd rather fill the freezer with elk.

OP
PurpleDriver
Thanks! We will have a great time either way. But being able to harvest some thing will be even better.

When you say high country, what altitude are you referring to? Since we’ll be hunting mid 9k to 12k where we plan to hunt I’m assuming we will be in high country the entire time. The tree line seems to be a little above 11k from e-scouting.