New To Muzzleloader - A to Z

robie

WKR
I'm looking at purchasing my first muzzleloader and have been digging through threads to try and understand what all I need to begin. After many of sabotloaders helpful posts, Robby and Jame's helpful articles, I have some idea of what all I need but would like to make this easier for the next guy. I've built a spreadsheet that you can view/edit below.

Not everyone is looking for the same thing but my goal is a stable system. Someone has used a specific setup and it has been tested and works. If someone looked at this list and bought everything they could be ready to go tomorrow.

If anyone is willing to contribute their knowledge to the list you can add to it below using the link or send me your suggestions and I will add them. It would be nice to have a sticky on the forum with this kind of information.

I've got somethings on this list I don't know if I actually need to buy and I'm sure I've left some things off. Like cleaning supplies I'm not sure if I need something specific or a basic kit will take care of it. I've included a few links I found on cleaning.

Also if there is an all inclusive spreadsheet out there already please let me know.

Muzzleloader Build - Google Sheets

muzzleloader.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ya Robin, if you get a good list going I'd consider making it a sticky on here.
First thing I'd say is even tried and tested loads in one gun are still going to have to be shot in yours. Just like Center fires they've all got a personality. I put all my loads on the blog for that sabot load.
Buy a screw-on funnel lid for your powder cans. It'll save you frustration and mess.
Get a toolbox like about the size of an appliance repairmans and dedicate it to tools for muzz only and take it everywhere you go, even on the hunt. You'll be surprised at all the sockets, screwdrivers, and wrenches you'll need.
Buy little packets of antiseize from auto parts store for your breechplugs. It's stable and lasts for a decade or more.
Buy extra ramrods for the range so you don't have to pull the gun's constantly and for every step (spitpatching and loading).
Buy shooting bags and learn to use them. Muzz bullets are in the barrel longer than center fire and form matters!
Buy cheap bullets when you see them for barrel foulers.
Buy 12-gauge bronze bore brush for the tough cleaning jobs.
Buy your speedloaders now so you can use them while tuning the gun and get used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say you have to be willing to toy with loads. What works for one guy won't work for the next. Guns have a personality. I don't want to sound like an ass but your post sounds like you don't want to do any work, you just want to buy a gun and shoot it as little as possible and have good luck with it. If this is the case muzzleloading may not be for you. Or maybe its just that the thing I like about a muzzleloader is that I get to tinker with it. I have always been an archery guy but have come to love playing with my muzzleloader for its similarity to archery in that it takes time to master. Especially if you hope to hunt in a state that does not allow sabots, you will need to tinker with loads.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
OK I need to edit my post. I more meant the gun and all the parts for it.

This isn't like buying a new rifle and 4 boxes of ammo to see what works. There is a lot more to getting into this game and its a barrier to entry that several guys on here with the expertise can make the learning curve easier.

Like Robby's list and Sabotloaders list of what you need to get started.

If you open the link you will see it is more about the gun, bullets, site's that these guys have tested and proved to work.

I will add to this list as people have ideas then I will make a page with a couple guys builds start to finish to make it easier if someone just wants to buy a gun and supplies and get started.