New to muzzleloader and interested to learn

Jeepers87

FNG
Hello,

Not new to hunting but I have never really handled a muzzy or know anything about them. Unfortunately when I go to my LGS I feel like I’m being more pressured to buy what’s on the shelf as opposed to learning the nuisances of what to look for. I would hope to be using this for elk and deer just to add some new challenge to my hunting. Any helpful sites or places for me to research more would be much appreciated. It just seems kind of overwhelming reading some forums with powder mixes, type of ammo, regulations etc. unfortunately none of the folks I know and hunt with have any desire or experience in the smoke pole world either.

Thanks !

JP

ENCORE

WKR
The sky can be the limit these days. Everything from a traditional flint or percussion, to the most modern custom inline rifles made. Much of it depends on what you may think will satisfy you, or makes you really happy.

If you're interested in modern inlines, there's a host of production muzzleloaders to choose from, most all of the rifles made today can be very accurate to 200yds, some even beyond. Then there's the more custom rifles, which certainly cost more, yet are accurate beyond what most believe possible and at long range.
However, most production muzzleloaders, regardless of brand, have some little quirks, many times associated with the breech plugs. Some are easy fixes, others might require a little more engineering.
It might help if you gave an idea about what your expectation might be, your hunting situations, or the ranges you may be hunting. I can understand that it can be a little overwhelming, especially when some guy behind a counter is telling you that "X" rife and "Y" bullet is the best.

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
This would be for mountain hunting elk out west and maybe some local whitetail from a tree stand. Like I said I’m pretty new to this and was assuming that 100 yards was the most ethical leathal range? I have been prowling around to try and find one being shot in the wild at a shooting club but no luck. I would just hate to buy one and then sit there looking at YouTube or the manual trying to not blow my hand off or worse in shooting, loading, etc. if a newer in,one can hit 200 then guess 100-150 range would be good especially for elk and no issues in a tree stand. I tend to move every few years in the military so I want to take advantage of whatever seasons I can as well, especially back out west where I’m from.

JP

robie

WKR
If you are in the military look at Knight. They offer 40% off for military frequently.

I had the same concerns as you the first time at the range but it really is as straight forward as they make it look on youtube, to get the gun to go bang. Powder down the tube, pack the bullet with reasonable pressure, add cap, pull trigger. I didn't pack it tight enough the first time and the bullet went 10 yards out of the barrel. Live and learn.

Here is a thread I put together on my knight and all the parts to get up and running for a Colorado legal setup. Each state is unique on the definition of a muzzleloader but its not to difficult to comply.

My New Knight Ultra-Lite

ENCORE

WKR
This would be for mountain hunting elk out west and maybe some local whitetail from a tree stand. Like I said I’m pretty new to this and was assuming that 100 yards was the most ethical leathal range? I have been prowling around to try and find one being shot in the wild at a shooting club but no luck. I would just hate to buy one and then sit there looking at YouTube or the manual trying to not blow my hand off or worse in shooting, loading, etc. if a newer in,one can hit 200 then guess 100-150 range would be good especially for elk and no issues in a tree stand. I tend to move every few years in the military so I want to take advantage of whatever seasons I can as well, especially back out west where I’m from.

JP

There are a few states which require a bullet be a specific diameter, say a .50cal or larger for some game sizes, other states out west that don't allow scopes. Some states require certain open breeches, while others do not. Other states allow any propellant but smokeless, where other states actually allow smokeless propellant. Some states muzzleloader season is for traditional (side hammer) rifles only, where many others allow the most modern inline rifles.

What I would highly suggest, is you take your time, read some of the different muzzleloader forums and do much more research. My dad, R.I.P., always used to say, "If you don't have the time or money to do it right the first time, where you going to get the money or time to do it over?" Honestly, I wish I'd have taken his advice more seriously.....

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
That was a great write up on your knight. Called them and the customer service folks were amazing and gave me the time of day as well as putting me in touch with a few local vendors that could break this new thing for me down. Thanks for the help y’all !