New to muzzleloaders.... need advice.

Scrubbuck

FNG
I have a Traditions G4 pursuit with stock scope This year I killed a small whitetail buck in NY using powerbelts over pyrodex pellets. I hit the buck high in the spine as the rifle was sighted in @ 200 yards and shot was at 60. It dropped right there. When I recovered the bullet it didn't really expand or anything. If I didn't spine it, I bet it would have ran off making tracking a hard one. I felt like I got lucky.... so did some research and bought some solid copper barnes ammo using sabots to try out. I put a few shots through, and don't think I did my best so can't really complain about the grouping. I will keep playing with the setup this spring.

So the thing is, I started rifle hunting in an area in CO 2 years in a row and found some bulls 2 years in a row. No shot opportunities. I want to give a try at the muzzleloader season for perhaps less hunting pressure. The regulations state I can't use my current setup so I am asking for what type of ammo and powder I should be using. I know so little about the terminology that I am not sure what to even search for. I also have the option of a TC encore that is currently a 20 gauge shotgun. (Live in NJ so no rifles) I think all I need is a barrel and forend. So my thoughts were to keep the G4 and get it dialed in with Saboted bullets, and convert the Encore to CO compliant. Would love some suggestions on open sights to use on the encore and recommendations on a barrel as well as powder and bullets for either.

I'm in UT and I shoot a CVA Accura V2 and when I was finding a load for my gun I shot some federal premium 350gr bore loks and they shot good with 120gr blackhorn 209 with federal 209A primers. Not sure if you have to use copper bullets but I know they have to be .50 cal the 270 gr copper bore loks shot great also and they both load easy. I have heard they like to unseat from the powder but I have not used them in the field may just have to check bullet seat depth periodically. Dunno if this helps but that load shot good for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There are a bunch of threads on CO legal loads. Do a search or just read back a few pages.

The T/C may not shoot full bore projectiles well. There are threads on that too. I would stick with the G4.

Scrubbuck, TC with the factory installed QLA can be somewhat problematic when shooting full bore bullets. You will not really know until you shoot it. It may have a problem being as accurate as you expect.

This picture tries to explain the possible problem.

TC-QLA.jpg

This picture shows the off centering of the QLA

TC-Cut_QLA.jpg

This is not true in al TC QLA's. You will have to shoot to find out for sure.