New to muzzleloaders....what bullet?

Trees91

WKR
I'm planning to pickup a Cva Wolf this weekend if I can find one locally, if not I'll order one.

I have a 1x scope I'll toss on (Sd no magnificaton rule).

I have a blackhorn compatable breech plug in the cart and some blackhorn powder tubes.

Assuming I can find cci 209m and blackhorn powder, what bullet should I look for and what else do I need?

If any one knows a thread already covering this I'd appreciate a link.
Thanks!

I am just getting back into ML myself. Bought 2 CVA MLs this fall. An Accura V2 LR in .45 with the fast twist barrel and an Accura V2 MR in .50 cal.
Took the LR to the range, tried Powerbelts and Arrowhead Rifles XLD 300 gr. Bought a Lee hand press and an adjustable smooth sizer to shoot bullet to bore, no sabots! Quickly found a very accurate load: 73.5 gr by weight of BH209 with the XLD bullets
I could not, still can not find magnum primers. I have Winchester and Federal standard 209 primers from when I used to reload. They worked fine at the range and I hear from many people here and other sites they've worked but when I can find some I am going to get some magnum primers

For the MR I am awaiting a Thor bullet sizing pack so I can try bullet to bore in the .50 cal too I hope to get the MR to the range this week or next

batj

FNG
My choice is NO Excuses Bullets. used them for years works great.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Found some Blackhorn 209 today, only 209 primers I could find are Winchester w209. Is that going to cause issues?

They worked fine for me on the rifle range with BH 209 but when I can get some magnums I am going to buy them.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Same here. My buddy at the gun shop was saying possibly a year till they see cci primers....

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I was looking at some of their stuff. Do you have to do the sizing pack? Sorry...this is totally new to me.

If thinking of going with the Thor bullets yes you need the 4 pack sizing bullets to figure out what size you need for your barrel. One thing to note I tested a brand new knight a few years ago that had never been shot. Could barely get the size .500 down the barrel. But after shooting it 20 or so times the .500 started pushing down super easy. Then the .501 was the perfect size and is what I have shot since. Bullet performed well on a elk my kid shot this year.

OXN939

WKR
I'm planning to pickup a Cva Wolf this weekend if I can find one locally, if not I'll order one.

I have a 1x scope I'll toss on (Sd no magnificaton rule).

I have a blackhorn compatable breech plug in the cart and some blackhorn powder tubes.

Assuming I can find cci 209m and blackhorn powder, what bullet should I look for and what else do I need?

If any one knows a thread already covering this I'd appreciate a link.
Thanks!
SD lets you use sabots, evidently, so I'd highly recommend going with Barnes T-EZs. I have never seen a CVA shoot something more accurate than them. load them over 85 or 90 grains of BH209, use CCI 209 primers, and you'll be set.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Out of luck on cci primers...I'll stop at a couple places this coming weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think I'll order some 300 grain boat tail sabots from no excuses to start with.

OXN939

WKR
Out of luck on cci primers...I'll stop at a couple places this coming weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think I'll order some 300 grain boat tail sabots from no excuses to start with.

CCIs are the only primers I've had zero misfires with when using BH209. Others have had luck with other brands of full strength 209 primers. Just make sure the primers you use are NOT the ones specifically designed for muzzleloaders, as those are weaker than 209 shotgun primers.

nobody

WKR
Anything in the 250-300 grain range out of the CVA's we have always produce great results and superb accuracy. Just don't fall for the fad of the Powerbelts. Piss poor accuracy, low velocities, they're literally the worst...

Anything in the 250-300 grain range out of the CVA's we have always produce great results and superb accuracy. Just don't fall for the fad of the Powerbelts. Piss poor accuracy, low velocities, they're literally the worst...
I'm surprised to hear this. The Powerbelts are shooting impressive 3" groups at 100 yards for me.
Stainless barrel, 1 in 28" twist rate.