New to muzzleloaders....what bullet?

nobody

WKR
I'm surprised to hear this. The Powerbelts are shooting impressive 3" groups at 100 yards for me.
Stainless barrel, 1 in 28" twist rate.
We've tried them in a TC Prohunter, CVA Accura's and Optimas, a Winchester Apex, and a Knight Bighorn. Never had one shoot less than 6" at 100 yards. The Knight was about 8", and the TC wouldn't even touch paper. Groups larger than the target. They also drop like rocks. The "belts" don't seal and engage with the rifling, so you get lots of expanding gasses blowing past the projectile instead of pushing it out the barrel. We average probably about 300 FPS slower with powerbelts than the .45 Cal 250 Grain Hornady SST's over 100 grains of Triple 7 with the same charge weights, and the SST's give us sub 2" groups. Heck the Winchester Apex shoots 3 into an inch at 100 yards!

We've also been very disappointed with the "expansion" of the powerbelts on game. We had a friend that shot them a couple of years, and the bullets never really expanded, they just kindof shredded and tore down the side, almost like there was a perforation down the side of the bullet from the plastic tip down towards the base. He never lost a buck, but they came apart way more violently than we felt they should have, and way too unpredictably. The SST isn't exactly a premium bonded bullet, but they always expand like they should and we end up finding them in the off side under the hide 95% of the time, looking like a textbook expansion.

Too many bad experiences with Powerbelts... they're not allowed in my camp haha.

fasteddie

FNG
I try not to to dig my heels in about things; BUT PowerBelt bullets suck. We have had WAY better results with
Hornady XTP (would be interested to try Barnes but my rifle doesn't like them.

WCB

WKR
Federal BOR Lock copper or lead shot them both...1.5" groups at 100 yards 90grains BH209. I've shot them with 100 and 150 grains of 777...3.5" at best.

Of course this is out of a TC Triumph but they shoot really well and have had pass throughs with big exits from 80-165 yards on deer.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Here's another question for you muzzleloaders.... I found a good deal on a Cva wolf "northwest legal" model. Is the only difference the breech plug? I have to get a new breech plug anyhow to use the bh209 powder.

Man i picked up an accura v2 and am struggling. Running 2 777 magnum pelkets and have tried powerbelts aero lights, hornady sst, barnes (not the tez) I cant get it to shoot 8" groups unless it is a sqeaky clean bore. BH 209 isnt available around here and hasnt been for a while. I have some 777 ffg and fffg so i can load by volume. Not sure whats going on.

ac7473

FNG
I have not had any luck with Powerbelts out of neither of my T/C's. We use Hornady's, and they're way cheaper than the Powerbelts

Lytro

WKR
I‘m hunting the SD muzzleloader season right now.

CVA Optima V2
BH209 (100gr by vol)
Remington PSTS primer
250gr Hornady SST Sabot
1x Vortex Crossfire

I have it sighted in shooting clovers at 50 yards. 100 yards is about my limit due to sight picture. I’ll probably throw a magnified optic on it after the season to see how far I can get it to shoot for a Nebraska tag next year.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I just picked up a used vortex crossfire for dirt cheap...1x isn't a huge advantage but I think it's still better than irons.....

I‘m hunting the SD muzzleloader season right now.

CVA Optima V2
BH209 (100gr by vol)
Remington PSTS primer
250gr Hornady SST Sabot
1x Vortex Crossfire

I have it sighted in shooting clovers at 50 yards. 100 yards is about my limit due to sight picture. I’ll probably throw a magnified optic on it after the season to see how far I can get it to shoot for a Nebraska tag next year.
I’m shooting a very similar setup. Differences are Barnes 290gr TMZ and a Leupold VX-1 2x7. I’ll be in MO hunting deer after Christmas.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Man i picked up an accura v2 and am struggling. Running 2 777 magnum pelkets and have tried powerbelts aero lights, hornady sst, barnes (not the tez) I cant get it to shoot 8" groups unless it is a sqeaky clean bore. BH 209 isnt available around here and hasnt been for a while. I have some 777 ffg and fffg so i can load by volume. Not sure whats going on.
Try that loose 777. Be sure to focus on getting consistent compression of the powder.

fasteddie

FNG
Try 300 grain Hornady XTP with black MMP sabots.
We shoot that combo from 3 different rifles and get 1-1.5" at 100yd; two with BH209, one with 777pellets
(might want XTP-MAG bullet for elk. They're just as accurate as regular XTP)

nphunter

WKR
A lot of your problem may be shot execution. Try focusing on slowly pulling the trigger and staring at your target until the smoke clears. To me shooting a muzzle loader is more like shooting my bow than my rifle as far as shot execution. If I rush a shot or don’t follow through properly I’m way off target. It took me probably close to 50 rounds to figure out a shot sequence that worked for me the first time shooting a muzzle loader. I was able to go from missing the target to a 3” 100 yard group without changing a single thing besides my shot execution.

I'm using a Accura V2 with 2 IMR Whitehots under a 270gr Federal Bor Lock and CCI primer, shoots great. ( hunting Whitetail )

I'm not changing anything until after the season is over.
After the season I will be testing the bullet above and two others with some BH209

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
Here's another question for you muzzleloaders.... I found a good deal on a Cva wolf "northwest legal" model. Is the only difference the breech plug? I have to get a new breech plug anyhow to use the bh209 powder.

No. In addition to the breech plug, which uses #11 musket caps instead of 209 primers, you need a conversion kit that changes the firing pin.

There are several responses here talking about powerbelts grouping impressive 3" groups at 100. I have never shot a group any larger than half that size with Barnes T-EZs out of any of my 3 CVA rifles. Not only are Barnes bullets much more accurate and consistent, they perform wonderfully on game while powerbelts often exhibit little to no expansion, as mentioned by several others above.

The picture below is checking my 100 yard zero the day before opener, and then the same 250 grain T-EZ shot into water jugs. Just putting out a pretty easy way to save yourself a lot of money in components, time and effort.

IMG_20201220_222502.jpg

Lytro

WKR
Well I dropped one today with my above set up from 166 quartering to. Passed through in front of the shoulder and exited in front of the opposite side rear quarter. Ran 60 yards and tipped. A564E9ED-192E-45B1-8E69-86452FCCC100.jpeg