New to Muzzleloading looking for a gun that will work in Idaho

BRETTA

FNG
I have not sifted through all the threads but looking for a muzzle loader I can use in Idaho for Elk. They have strict guidelines (no 209 primers, no sabots, etc.). I am in the camp buy once cry once. So that said can I get muzzle loader that will work in Idaho and be upgraded/used to be more efficient/accurate if I go to another state with less retrictions...I guess a gun that can be multi use to a degree? I looked at the CVA Accura v2 Northwest model...not sure if this is the best or a Knight or TC? Also where should I start for powder and bullets? CVA reccomends using RWS Musket Caps?? Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. ...And then I need to find such a gun before Sept.20th!

I have not sifted through all the threads but looking for a muzzle loader I can use in Idaho for Elk. They have strict guidelines (no 209 primers, no sabots, etc.). I am in the camp buy once cry once. So that said can I get muzzle loader that will work in Idaho and be upgraded/used to be more efficient/accurate if I go to another state with less retrictions...I guess a gun that can be multi use to a degree? I looked at the CVA Accura v2 Northwest model...not sure if this is the best or a Knight or TC? Also where should I start for powder and bullets? CVA reccomends using RWS Musket Caps?? Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. ...And then I need to find such a gun before Sept.20th!

That is an easy discussion for me Knight Ultra-Lite Western Edition

ULite_Western.jpg

And it can easily be converted to a more modern ML. This is the one I use for rifle season here in Idaho.

Nitride-Knight.jpg

This new Nitride finish is awesome gives the barreled action a lot of extra durability

Knight is having a heck of a sale going on right now - might take a look

For ML season I use #11 MAG caps and a lead conical made by Bull Shop. They shoot great!

OP
B

BRETTA

FNG
Thanks for the info Sabotloader! Question for you; when you switch this over to a more modern ML does the ignition system switch out/accomodate using 209 primers etc.? or what all is switched out to “modernize it” outside of putting on a scope? Also do you have a link for those bullets and what grain etc.? Lastly, what open sights did you get for that gun (looks like a peep site setup?)

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The Knight ultralight or mountaineer are both great options. For very little money you can order a different ignition system for them and take advantage of other states rules.

Thanks for the info Sabotloader! Question for you; when you switch this over to a more modern ML does the ignition system switch out/accomodate using 209 primers etc.? or what all is switched out to “modernize it” outside of putting on a scope? Also do you have a link for those bullets and what grain etc.? Lastly, what open sights did you get for that gun (looks like a peep site setup?)

Yes it does... you will need to install a new breech plug either a red plastic jacket (FPJ) breech plug or an bare primer breech plug (NFPJ)

If it were me.... I would order the Colorado/Washington legal version of the rifle with a FPJ ignition. With that you will get a bolt face that will work with FPJ red plastic jacket 209 ignition, it will also work with #11 Mag caps and different breech plug. Then you can order a NFPJ ignition system from Lehigh defense so you can shoot bare primers.

This picture shows the FPJ bolt fitted with a primer adapter and a bare primer breech plug.

IMG-0002.jpg

This pic shows the same bolt but with a #11 nipple and breech plug in place

DE-FPJ-Closed.jpg

This pic shows a NECG-Weaver peep sight mounted on Warne Weaver base.

NECG-Weaver-Peep.jpg

The peep can easily be removed and a scope installed with Quick Detachable rings.

45-cal-FT-Kevlar.jpg

I also switch out the Knight front sight and put a Williams sight setup with a hood - kinda makes you think you are looking through a 1X scope.

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

Bull Shop Bullets

bullshopBullets.jpg

The bullet I use is a .503x460 MTNex. It is an elk bullet but if you were only hunting deer you really could use a lighter bullet.

460grBullShop.jpg

Bullshop Dan's website is kinda hard to navigate but start here and you will see the 50 cal. bullets he is offering

The site lists the bullet as a .504x460... but he will size it to .503, although you might need a .502. He might send you a couple of each to sample so you know which one works best. Dan's wife, Tina, handles all the orders and shipping.

[email protected]

50 Caliber ~ Mountain Moulds ~ .504 ~ 460 grains ~ FN ~ PB

OP
B

BRETTA

FNG
Sabotloader, where do you suggest buying that gun? And is there any place that can do the setup that you suggest –with that peep sight etc and setup for Idaho? What are your thoughts on Powerbelt bullets? Seems to be a lot of marketing on those and discussions. This all being said I need to buy two of these guns with the same setup etc. One for me and one for my freind who is coming with me to Idaho.

OP
B

BRETTA

FNG
Also sabotloader do you recommend the Ultra Light or the Mountaineer version? Any trade offs in accuracy or long range shots? I will lug another two pounds in weight if it leads to better performance/accuracy. I do like the thumbhole option on the mountain versions.

I use a Traditions Northwest Magnum. It's been a great rifle, easy to clean and accurate. I had awful luck with the lead powerbelts. I switched to the Hornady 385 Great Plains bullets in front of 95 grains of Triple 7 ffg.

Also sabotloader do you recommend the Ultra Light or the Mountaineer version? Any trade offs in accuracy or long range shots? I will lug another two pounds in weight if it leads to better performance/accuracy. I do like the thumbhole option on the mountain versions.

If you are a stand or still hunter - the Mountaineer would be a very good rifle - but for myself the Ulite is a great rifle. Either or both shoot very well to 200-250 yards. I am not a target shooter so I have not shot a lot of long range shots.

This is a 200 yard target with a ULite - I did not shoot it - wish I could shoot that well

200ydTarget-Bloodline250s.jpg

Right now I think you can get the best buy at or on the Knight web sight! They have a preseason sale going on...

How’s the groupings on that gun?
It groups amazing! Holes touch at 50 yards, and I’m probably 3 or 4 inches at 100. However; I swapped out the stock sights right away. They’re garbage plastic, and the rear sight broke almost instantly.

I also had to find a load that it liked, but would also be a good elk slayer. It took a little while, but I got one I really like now.

** Also, I’m in Idaho, so Bullets have to be pure lead, loose powder, and iron sights.

It groups amazing! Holes touch at 50 yards, and I’m probably 3 or 4 inches at 100. However; I swapped out the stock sights right away. They’re garbage plastic, and the rear sight broke almost instantly.

I also had to find a load that it liked, but would also be a good elk slayer. It took a little while, but I got one I really like now.

** Also, I’m in Idaho, so Bullets have to be pure lead, loose powder, and iron sights.
Not too shabby. If it fills the freezer, it’s worth it. Are you using gorex BP with #11 in Idaho?

Broomd

WKR
Have to wonder why Idaho keeps such archaic laws regarding these guns. I get maybe trying to keep some parity so not everyone is out there, the resource is limited, but I also think that the guns should be modern....ignition systems like the 209 primer would be solid option, would they not? The bottom line should be accuracy and quick, clean kills.

Anyway, ......It's been awhile since I shot ML-killed a few deer in the Midwest, but i apprecaite this thread and the knowledgable insights offered.

Have to wonder why Idaho keeps such archaic laws regarding these guns. I get maybe trying to keep some parity so not everyone is out there, the resource is limited, but I also think that the guns should be modern....ignition systems like the 209 primer would be solid option, would they not? The bottom line should be accuracy and quick, clean kills.

Anyway, ......It's been awhile since I shot ML-killed a few deer in the Midwest, but i apprecaite this thread and the knowledgable insights offered.
A lot of it has to do with the muzzie community. There isn’t a big organized group ( like Idaho State Bowhunters) that actively lobbies IFG for rule changes. I agree with the current rules. More advances would likely result in shorter seasons and more popularity.

Broomd

WKR
A lot of it has to do with the muzzie community. There isn’t a big organized group ( like Idaho State Bowhunters) that actively lobbies IFG for rule changes. I agree with the current rules. More advances would likely result in shorter seasons and more popularity.
That makes perfect sense.