New to muzzleloading... need advice

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Long time rifle and archery hunter here. I recently purchased a stainless CVA Wolf and need advice on what loads, powders and primers to use. Any input would be helpful, thnx!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My TC Bone Collector likes the Barnes TEZ 290 gr with 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209. I use the CCI primers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JAC40

FNG
My CVAs both do good with 777 pellets. I use a 100 gr load (2) pellets with my Optima V2 and I use 150 gr load (3) pellets with my Optima LR. I think it's just easier to use pellets especially for hunting but really its preference.

Just like any other firearm it might like different powder loads and bullet combinations than others. You will have a different point of impact with different bullets. When I started I picked a few different ones and eliminated what didnt work as well for me and my muzzloader. This will be expensive until you get a consist load you like. Constancy is also key to your shooting with the muzzleoader too one small change can throw off your shooting.

With CVAs they say you can shoot up to 6 rounds with out cleaning...I usually only do up to 4 but I still run a dry patch each shot you will feel the powder build up in the barrel.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I shout a CVA Accura. I use Blackhorn 209 - 70 gr by weight (100 gr. By volume) 300 gr. XTP mag and CCI mag primer. I use this on elk and mule deer. Haven’t had one take a step after impact.

It shoots very accurately, is super easy to clean and I can shoot dozens of shots without cleaning.

JAC40

FNG
I shout a CVA Accura. I use Blackhorn 209 - 70 gr by weight (100 gr. By volume) 300 gr. XTP mag and CCI mag primer. I use this on elk and mule deer. Haven’t had one take a step after impact.

It shoots very accurately, is super easy to clean and I can shoot dozens of shots without cleaning.
Those CVA accuras are insanely accurate. Does yours have the Bergara barrel?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

peterk123

WKR
I can't recommend Blackhorn 209 enough. Great stuff and burns very clean compared to alternatives. I shoot my CVA just for all year long at the range so something the doesn't gum up my barrel after two shoots is important. I also purchase sabots (ribbed ones work well in my gun, can't remember the size) in bulk and then purchase Hornady .452 caliber 250 grain hollow points for hunting and .452 long colt lead bullets in bulk for target. They both shoot pretty much identical. Saves me a fortune on ammo by doing that way. My lead bullet/sabot combo costs less then 20 cents I think.

I am a big fan of using loose powder and experimenting with sabots because you can play around and figure out what is most accurate for you.

Highly recommend the BH209 echoing the other guys above. I have a CVA Optima and started w/ 777 pellets. The BH209 significantly increased my groups and is much easier to clean.

I use 100gr by volume (get the little marked tubes) but test out to see what shoots best for you. I use Hornady SST 300gr and Win 209 shotgun primers.