New to nicer Bino’s…so many choices

Hey guys,

Looking at getting an above average pair of binos in the sun 800$ range as my main uses will be eastern hardwoods in archery. Low light capability is imperative

I see many people opt for the 8x42 and not the 10x. Is this simply for a better FOV?

So far the tract Toric , maven b1.2, and zeiss conquest hd have caught my eye the most in ascending price but all at or below the 800$ price point. I’m leaning the mavens with the improvements they made especially due to the light transmission( and some reviews I could find) since the originals, but the tract nearly 150$ cheaper, and well zeiss is of course a household name but the conquest hd isn’t their top of the line model so unsure what to expect

I realize this topic has probably been talked about as nauseam, but if you have first hand experience chime in!

Last edited:

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Tract 8x42's and they are great to me. I haven't owned any alpha glass so my comparison is limited. However, I just bought a set of Leica Ultravid HD 10x42's from Cameraland on their demo sale and can do a side by side comparison of these two.

I'll post my findings when I get the Leica's and spend some time with the two.

BBQ

HuntNTag

WKR
If you are looking to just use for the hardwoods consistently, I’d get an 8x42. Field of view and exit pupil size for brightness will be a better bet for what you are using them for.

You can still use those 8’s out west as well, especially in an archery season and best yet, put those babies on a tripod and you’d be amazed at how much you could see.

10x42’s are more common as a universal all around bino but it’s not like you can’t use 8’s out west if you do happen to do it.

I’d say the mavens, conquests or even the kowa genesis would be a good choice for the money. You can’t go wrong with any of those. If I could only pick 1 I’d go with the conquests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are many excellent options. As a long standing supporting vendor here it's our pleasure to discuss this with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few minutes to chat.

hunt1up

WKR
I've bought and sold binos at every price point and one that I really liked in that price range are the Leica Trinovids. Good weight and ergonomics and I recall them being really good in low light. You can find some of those around $800 with not a lot of looking.

If you haven't looked at them, highly recommend the new meopro hd plus. I picked up the 8x56 and they are right in that price sweet point. I have buddies with other glass in the same price and my opinion is the meopta outshines it.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
To confuse you more…I have the conquest hd and feel like they are excellent for the price.

I’d go with meostar hd in that price range. We have 8x32,8x42, 10x42,12x50, and 15x56 in the family. They are 95% as good as my swarovskis for half the price. I’ve used a LOT of nice binos, and the meostars compete with the best.
8 or 10x if you mostly hand hold, 10,12,or 15x if you use tripod. My go to is 8x paired with 15s to hunt coues here in southern az

Mojave

WKR
Field of view and eye releif.

Eye relief for the over 40 crowd, and glasses wearers.

I prefer 8x42 or 10x50, 10x56, 8x56 over 10x42. I do not own a pair of 10x42's I actually like.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Exit pupil was mentioned above. A bigger exit pupil makes binos more user friendly (assuming equal quality glass). I am considering dropping from the newest 8x42 SLC to a 1996 SLC 7x42.

The exit pupil is only .75 inches bigger but it makes a big difference to me in ease of use/viewing experience.

Lower mag also provides a more stable view. Also, higher magnification shows flaws/deficiencies in glass/manufacturer process/coatings, etc. Meaning higher mag shows weaknesses in the optic. In theory if you take the full range of binos in a given make and model (say Zeiss conquest hd in 15x56, 10x42, and 8x42) the 8x should have the best or cleanest view.

Last edited:
My eastern hardwoods binos are a pr of Leica Ultravid HD 7x42 and they are just wonderful. Way better than my 10x42 SLC HD's. A wide field of view and transmits mega amounts of light right until its black out. I also have a pr of Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD I use for archery if im in the mood for stalking vs stand hunting. They weigh nothing and are a fine pr of glass.

bozeman

WKR
I have the Tract 8x42's and they are great to me. I haven't owned any alpha glass so my comparison is limited. However, I just bought a set of Leica Ultravid HD 10x42's from Cameraland on their demo sale and can do a side by side comparison of these two.

BBQ
Yeah, that was a JAM up deal there!!

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider

BBQ
Any update on this comparison?