New to reloading advice

That's great you have a 1000 yard range you can back into the ballistics with. I don't, and most folks don't. At least with respect to doing any regular range work. A chronograph is a great tool to find consistent loads. It gives information that can be valuable at longer ranges such as extreme spread.

I'm really curious that you bought a chronograph and have never used it? Maybe offer it to someone on the forum, or the OP. Then pick up something that's more useful.
I agree. I have not reloaded for a few years, but getting back into it, and with component cost and availability right now, I feel a chrono is money well spent… I thought about figuring it out via drops, but that will cost more ammo and only be so accurate unless you have access to a long range.

I have a couple hundred primed brass ready to go, but I’m waiting for a chrono before I start loading…

Harvey_NW

WKR
I never used the chronograph because, after I bought it, that's when a skilled person taught me it's not needed (and that was before I learned about Weaponized Math). I will be parting with it sometime this summer after I stroke curiosity of comparing what it reads vs a ballistic calculator.
That's a solid method, until you get a load that shoots ace at 100 yards but shotgun patterns the 800 yard gong because it has an ES of 70, and you could have identified that during development by using a chrono. I agree you have to tune your calculator regardless, but having a chrono for load development sure takes some guess work out and saves on components.

doggone

FNG
You may be new to reloading but looks like you have done a lot of homework...nice!
You can take full advantage of that custom barrel with good handloads. If it was me:
1. SCALE Spend money on a good scale ... not a powder measure but a scale.
2. COAL GAUGE You'll want to know your seating depth relative to the rifling.
3. CHRONOGRAPH You will want to know velocity and extreme spreed to develop the best custom load.
Hope you are not overwhelmed yet ... enjoy the new rabbit hole!

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
I would save money and buy high end components such as autrotrickler v3 or v4. Get you a good single press area419 zero press. Redding dies. And so on. Do your research before buying new components.
Buy once and cry once, then you don’t buy another one later and happy reloading and shooting.

kickemall

WKR
If you get a chance listen to Avery Adventures podcast with Unknown Muntions. It will save you money in the long run. Its three parts and I think its called ammo deconstructed.

Last edited: