New to reloading question on depriming - two part primers?

I'm new to reloading and have a question on depriming. I just got the Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer and am depriming some once-fired brass prior to cleaning. The Norma brass had two parts - the primer and a three-legged brass piece. The Hornady brass has just the primer coming out in one piece. What's the three legged piece from the Norma brass?

11boo

WKR
They all *I think have two pieces. You are seeing some come apart, and some not. Cup and anvil are the two parts.

WCB

WKR
You are just seeing the primer cub and the anvil...they all have it.

EdP

WKR
You have the answer but I have to wonder why you are depriming prior to tumbling. It seems to me that you are just creating extra work for yourself. Not only are you having to put every case through an unnecessary step, but you also have to make sure no media gets stuck in the flash hole.

You have the answer but I have to wonder why you are depriming prior to tumbling. It seems to me that you are just creating extra work for yourself. Not only are you having to put every case through an unnecessary step, but you also have to make sure no media gets stuck in the flash hole.
Maybe he is UT instead of tumbling...thats what I do.

I always tumble after depriming, helps get the lube off from sizing, cleans the pockets some, and picking the media out of pockets isn’t bad. With pistol brass, I agree, tumble first.

OP
P
Using an ultrasonic cleaner

Wydaho22

FNG

It depends on how he tumbles. I wet tumble with steel pins. De-priming before that will save me the step of cleaning out primer pockets. Those steel pins, lemon juice and Dawn dish soap sure clean them up and I’ve never had issues with the steel pin media getting stuck. I wouldn’t deprime before tumbling in a dry tumbler though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk