New to reloading

Vossman5

FNG
I'm a blank slate when it comes to reloading. I'm wanting to get a 25-06 for my next rifle. Have found a 25-06 ai that I'm interested in, but not sure about what is required between the 2.
I have other calibers that will also benefit greatly to reloading, but due to this being an AI I think it'll be more beneficial.
I don't have any gear yet, I've been telling myself that I'll get it next year for a few years now, but now with the shortage I think it's time to get serious about it. I understand everything is gone, but I'm not in a hurry.

Also need to bump my post count up

Dayv_33

FNG
I think an easy place to start is a good load data book. There are many, but something like the Lee Precision Modern Reloading book for example has a lot of great info to get you familiar with the concepts, steps and equipment required. Also fun and informative to look through all the different calibers, bullets and powder combinations which will be essential when you actually do start to hand load. It can be satisfying and addicting, good luck!

OP
V

Vossman5

FNG
I know it'll be fun when I start, already started looking into supplies, not sure what brand I'll go with yet rcbs or Lee is my thoughts.

Catch-34

FNG
Reloading can be a rabbit hole. As for what to buy it all depends on what your budget is. You can make great ammo with low SD with a budget >$300 set up and you can also spend 5k on a Prometheus.

EM_556

WKR
Pick up the Lee Challenger Reloading Kit on Amazon and reloading book for the bullet company of your choice. It’s a cheaper set but you aren’t invested as much. If you end up liking it you can sell some of it off or just buy another press like a RCBS, Hornady, or Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Really, all you'll need is a different die set. Data will be a smidge different.

Reloading is the theory of relativity embodied. What works for one guy/gal, might not work for you and vice versa. What works for a group of your friends, might not work for you.

I'm not sure if you're expecting a crash course on reloading, or not.

When given data, or you know a bunch of guys that all load the same round with pretty much the same load, don't just load up their load and use it. Load up your normal work up batch, but you could narrow your load range.

Its cheaper to burn a little more powder to find a good, safe load, than to, to the extreme, blow up the gun and the likely hospital visit. Don't let yourself get complacent

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vossman5

FNG
My main question was about 25-06 AI or any other AI cartridge. If I shoot non AI in one is there any downside? I know that's how you fire form the cases, but until I get reloading and a different barrel for a better twist is there an issue using the standard cartridge?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I know people who fire form brass at matches. Slower velocities is about it

OP
V

Vossman5

FNG
Really, all you'll need is a different die set. Data will be a smidge different.

Reloading is the theory of relativity embodied. What works for one guy/gal, might not work for you and vice versa. What works for a group of your friends, might not work for you.

I'm not sure if you're expecting a crash course on reloading, or not.

When given data, or you know a bunch of guys that all load the same round with pretty much the same load, don't just load up their load and use it. Load up your normal work up batch, but you could narrow your load range.

Its cheaper to burn a little more powder to find a good, safe load, than to, to the extreme, blow up the gun and the likely hospital visit. Don't let yourself get complacent

Eventually I'll get up to the automated setup, for plinking, but that'll be a while longer in the future. The Prometheus looks nice, I'm a perfectionist and an accurate automatic dispenser would be nice, but for the price and wait time not yet

OP
V

Vossman5

FNG
I know people who fire form brass at matches. Slower velocities is about it

Accuracy shouldn't be affected too much then? This only came about because I might pick up a rifle chambered in AI

Catch-34

FNG
Accuracy should be fine. The ai just gives you faster velocity over standard 25-06. I’ve had plenary of fire forming loads that shot one hole.

CCooper

WKR
I received good advice early on about things spend the money on, and things that you could save on from several threads here and on LRO. Good dies are expensive, but worth the money if you will be chasing accuracy. Precision handloading is expensive, but the end product is rewarding when it all comes together.