New to reloading

Ac338

WKR
So here's the deal, been shooting my whole life but never reloaded and decided to give it a go starting with my first 6.5cm I just picked up. I don't rifle hunt so this will be for matches and target practice out to 1300 yards. After looking for and reading about what dies to buy im more confused the anything. I think I've settled on full length sizer bushing dies and a micrometer seater if its actually necessary to have the micrometer. My confusion is with neck tension on the fl dies. In order to order the proper bushing to maintain .001 or .002 neck tension do I need to first shoot the new brass to get accurate measurements? If so what size bushing should I use to load up the new brass to fire form it?

83cj-7

WKR
Micrometer seater dies are very nice for tuning loads for seating depth. Spend the extra $.
I would get a bushing neck sizer die and not the full length, as long as the brass is all fired in the same rifle.
Consider adding a Redding full length body die to your set. The body die will resize the body even if its a loaded round. This is something you might not use a lot, but it nice to have.
As far as the bushings needed, you need to take you measurements from a loaded case. Seat a bullet in about 5 cases and then measure the necks. Order two bushings, .002 and .003 under the neck measurement.

SDHNTR

WKR
Measure your resized unloaded brass, and then measure your loaded rounds. There should be a .002” difference in diameter.

micrometer seating dies are nice and worth the money, imo, but not totally necessary either.

OP
A

Ac338

WKR
Micrometer seater dies are very nice for tuning loads for seating depth. Spend the extra $.
I would get a bushing neck sizer die and not the full length, as long as the brass is all fired in the same rifle.
Consider adding a Redding full length body die to your set. The body die will resize the body even if its a loaded round. This is something you might not use a lot, but it nice to have.
As far as the bushings needed, you need to take you measurements from a loaded case. Seat a bullet in about 5 cases and then measure the necks. Order two bushings, .002 and .003 under the neck measurement.
Thanks for the tips look like I have some more looking into stuff before I start ordering everything. So many options and different terminology makes it look like rocket science but I'm sure I'm making it harder than it has to be.

For instance, my 300 PRC loaded round measures .337 so I use a .334 bushing. I always go with the redding nitrided stuff, it's buttery smooth.

This is the die set you want for a 6.5CM Redding #36446 - https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/product.sc?productId=957

I pull the decapper out immediately in the die as I decap on a separate cheap press then tumble the brass before full-length sizing.

Grab a Sinclair Expander Mandrel for after 3 way trimming. This will give you perfectly concentric necks. I like the carbide version, again, buttery, no need for lube. You can Google why the expander balls aren't as good.

Mandrel - https://www.brownells.com/reloading...els/carbide-expander-mandrels-prod119668.aspx

Expander Die - https://www.brownells.com/reloading...ls/generation-ii-expander-dies-prod38807.aspx

Last edited:

I disagree and think he should proceed with a FL bushing sizing die. Obligatory Cortina neck sizing video:

In regards to whether the micrometer seating die is necessary - it is not but they are sure convenient and it's what I have for all of my seating dies.

Last edited:
Yes I'm definitely on the train of the FL Bushing Sizing Die, Redding :)

Though I'm all ears on your thoughts of the Neck Die, I'm just not sure of the benefit.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ac338

WKR
Thanks for all the tips and opinions everyone. Im going to start out with a Fl bushing die and micrometer seater. Once I get that down maybe I'll try some of the other recommendations. Looks like I have some time to build a reloading bench since I can't find components anywhere anyways.

rayporter

WKR
i would get the full length bushing die and several bushings. you will end up with a series of bushings in a few years. it is just the way it is. brass may change or you may change brands and you will always end up trying different sizes of bushings anyway. buy .001 down to .005 smaller.

rayporter

WKR
just to add to your confusion.

i use many wilson inline seater dies. for most seating of bullets i prefer them. but you need the micrometer top and an arbor press to use them effectively. you get straight ammo and can seat bullets fast and easy.

the micrometer top is not a need but a convenience. you can measure the seater stem with calipers and write down the measurement and return to that measurement to seat a bullet to the same length.

a plus with wilsoms is if you have a single stage press you dont have to remove the sizer die.

i am not knockling the redding as i do have redding seaters and like them but long before redding had micrometer seaters i had wilsons and have no reason to change.

never forget that there is always more than one way to skin the cat.