New to Reloading

ecsn7d

FNG
Hey guys. I am new to reloading and was wondering what would be a good reloading manual(s) to review and look at. I am specifically trying to work up a load for a .30-06 with 130 gr ttsx bullets for antelope. Thanks.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Reference them all. I'm not a Barnes guy but everyone says their data is usually either spot on or dang close. I like Hodgdons website for quick references, but I primarily use H extreme powders. I'm sure there is someone that will chime in with some actual data for you, but as a rule of thumb establish a safe starting point and work up slow. Do some research on how to recognize pressure signs and how temperature affects it as well. If you feel excessive recoil or your bolt is sticky to open up, stop right there and plan on backing that charge off. Good luck, welcome to the rabbit hole!!

rayporter

WKR
buy a couple at the least. sierra and hodgen are nice but the note book style is a pain for me.
also if you can find one of the load data booklets for your caliber you will use it often.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
I am specifically trying to work up a load for a .30-06 with 130 gr ttsx bullets

Since you are planning to use Barnes bullets, I'd start with the Barnes manual.

Mono bullets shoot different than traditional cup & core bullets. The Barnes book with have loads based on their bullets.

The latest Sierra manual has load data for the new IMR Enduron powders.

If you use a manual from Sierra, Nosler, etc pay attention to what bullet the load is for. Nosler's manual doesn't have seperate loads for mono vs. lead jacketed. They have a note for the E-Tip (mono) bullets to start with the minimum load and work up from there.

Since you are just getting started, the first section of any good loading manual is the basics of "How to Reload". Very well worth the read.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
Thanks for the info everybody. Has anybody loaded a 125 or 130 grain 30 cal bullet? Trying to develop a fast and flat load for antelope. Thanks.

ericwh

WKR
I loaded the 130 ttsx for .30-06 and used it once on an antelope. I'm not sure why; and I've since moved on. But I did it, and it worked great on a 225 yd shot.

EDIT: Looking back I'm not sure why anyone would load a 130 for .30-06 for antelope instead of just using a 165 or 180 class bullet. I would run some numbers in a ballistic calculator before you go down that path. I had them going ~ 3125 fps and I think a 150gr barnes would have stayed fast further and had less wind drift.

Last edited:

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure why; and I've since moved on. But I did it, and it worked great on a 225 yd shot.

Sometimes we just "do stuff".

I am currently tinkering with 125gr spitzer bullets in a single shot 30-30. Why? Cause it was a hair brained idea that I wanted to try.

I had them going ~ 3125 fps and I think a 150gr barnes would have stayed fast further and had less wind drift.

I'd agree that the 150's would be a good choice.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
Question on brass. Does it matter what "manufacture" of brass I am using to work up some loads as long as I use the same? For example, if a manual says using Hornady Brass, is it ok to use Nosler Brass instead?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Question on brass. Does it matter what "manufacture" of brass I am using to work up some loads as long as I use the same? For example, if a manual says using Hornady Brass, is it ok to use Nosler Brass instead?
Different brands of brass can have slightly different capacities and consistencies that can change performance or pressure tolerance. So it doesn't matter if you don't use exactly what's listed in the load data, just know that the brand you're using may react differently. Start low and load up.