New to reloading

I shoot a Remington model 700 sonderro in 7mm rum. I bought the gun three years ago used and it has always been a shooter. even with factory ammo. But my hunting partner worked up some handloads for me and I am amazed at the difference in accuracy with them. I've never shot handloads before and now I can't see shooting anything else. I'm hooked!

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, now all you have to do is gear up, and just wait for all the money you'll save by reloading start accumulating in your bank account, LOL!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Your partner might have got lucky and hit the right load first try, BUT, I bet with some time and tweaking, you might even get better.

I try different bullets and seating depths, along with the obvious powder charges. Seems like the more work I put in, usually the more accurate.

If you haven't, check out my article on the Firearms page on Standard Deviation at

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...rifles-performance-through-standard-deviation

I've used that formula successfully when developing loads.

Also check out Doug Rosin's long range article on Firearms page, as there is accuracy stuff in there, too.

All the best! Reloading is fun.

BuckSnort

WKR
Reloading is a hobby in it's self, for me anyway.. My dad and I got into reloading several years back to save money as we were doing a lot of shooting of both pistol and rifle calibers... There are lot's of tools/gadgets for reloading that help to make some great consistent accurate ammo tailored to each specific firearm..

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reloading is always a key to getting the best performance out of your rifle. If your buddy lives close enough I would try and use his equipment and make sure you enjoy it. You can get your own kit for about $500 for basics and about a $800 or so for everything you could need. I enjoyed it and loaded many rounds for friends and family. Happy Pressing !!!

OP
flatlander51
Thanks everyone! There can't be a more rewarding experience then DIY hunting and useing homemade ammo. it's the ultimate accomplishment!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
First priority when learning to reload is a good how-to manual with safe data. I like the Lyman manual because it has a variety of brands of bullets and powder, as well as well written how-to instructions.

bkondeff

FNG
There are so many variables into what makes a gun shoot well but a bunch are in the cartridge you stuff into that chamber. My suggestion, if you buddy can build you more of what he already did and that shoots within your current standards, have him make a bunch and be happy. The alternative is a new and expensive obsession.