New to the forum and new to the sport

czimm

FNG
Hello All,

Like the title says, im new here and extremely new to hunting (never hunted before). I am from Southern California and grew up surfing, sailing, fishing, and anything else outside or on the water.

I got interested in hunting last year, and bought a bow in December. I have just been shooting in my backyard 20 and 30 yards, and listening to the Cutting the Distance Podcast. Luckily my uncle grew up hunting and he's excited to take me out for my first time. I am extremely excited to get out there with him and can't wait for my first hunt.

There is a cool archery range 45 minutes from me but It is private, I will try to join when they allow new members in April. they have a walking 3d archery shoot once a month thats open to the public. I went for the first time this month and it was a blast with great people.

A few of my other friends are getting into it the same time as me which will be super fun that we can have some other new hunters to enjoy the sport with.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself on my first post. And so I can get posting so I can start buying some used gear on this site! HAHAHA.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
Welcome to the site and hunting! What are you planning to hunt first?
Thank you! I am not sure yet, definitely turkey when the season opens here. I think May? Im interested in deer, pig, maybe birds too. Just trying to get confident with my groups before I actually go out hunting so I can be sure to make a clean, ethical kill.

PRC_GUY

WKR
Welcome aboard!
It is a good to join here, and aways remember DO NOT post any Want To Buy because iWTB is magnetic to Scammers or buy things from new members.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
Welcome,
There are two rules you should be aware of up front........

1) Hide your wallet while on this site
2) While on this site, hide your wallet
hahaha, ya. unfortunately I gotta fork out some dough over the coming months and year so I can get the basic gear I need. I just got Vortex crossfire 10x50's and Impact range finder. im looking for a good Bino Harness next. I have a decent backpack that I think will work until I get some experience and dial in what I want to upgrade to.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
Welcome aboard!
It is a good to join here, and aways remember DO NOT post any Want To Buy because iWTB is magnetic to Scammers or buy things from new members.
Thanks for the tip!

hahaha, ya. unfortunately I gotta fork out some dough over the coming months and year so I can get the basic gear I need. I just got Vortex crossfire 10x50's and Impact range finder. im looking for a good Bino Harness next. I have a decent backpack that I think will work until I get some experience and dial in what I want to upgrade to.
While you are looking for gear keep an eye on Camofire. You can get some solid deals on gear there. If you are interested I have a Adak bino harness that may work for you I'd be willing to send your way. I tried it out and just like my Alaska Guide Creation bino harness better.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
While you are looking for gear keep an eye on Camofire. You can get some solid deals on gear there. If you are interested I have a Adak bino harness that may work for you I'd be willing to send your way. I tried it out and just like my Alaska Guide Creation bino harness better.
Thanks, I will check it out. Cool, im still looking around to see which harness would suit me best ill let you know if I am interested.

Eyeman

FNG
No criticism intended.
Some call it sport, some call it a way of life or more.
I like the point you make about trying to be good about being ethical.
Remember its Hunting and not always killing.
And to me the adventure is a big part of it.
Welcome and Good Luck!

Loco4dux

WKR
Turkey season opens last Saturday in March btw. Suggest a shotgun, but can be done with a bow. Best of luck on your journey and welcome.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
No criticism intended.
Some call it sport, some call it a way of life or more.
I like the point you make about trying to be good about being ethical.
Remember its Hunting and not always killing.
And to me the adventure is a big part of it.
Welcome and Good Luck!
none taken, you are definitely right. I guess for me right now I still view it as a sport. im sure when I spend more time in it I will consider it a way of life. Surfing for me has always been a way of life. I think part of what attracts me to hunting is the adventure. I love backpacking and camping and being in nature, and I think that adding hunting as the goal of a backpacking trip sounds like a lot of fun, but also rewarding hard work.

thank you for the insight.

OP
czimm

czimm

FNG
Turkey season opens last Saturday in March btw. Suggest a shotgun, but can be done with a bow. Best of luck on your journey and welcome.
Thank you, yes I would like to get out there in march with the shotgun and again in may with the bow :)

bcox90

FNG
Hello All,

Like the title says, im new here and extremely new to hunting (never hunted before). I am from Southern California and grew up surfing, sailing, fishing, and anything else outside or on the water.

I got interested in hunting last year, and bought a bow in December. I have just been shooting in my backyard 20 and 30 yards, and listening to the Cutting the Distance Podcast. Luckily my uncle grew up hunting and he's excited to take me out for my first time. I am extremely excited to get out there with him and can't wait for my first hunt.

There is a cool archery range 45 minutes from me but It is private, I will try to join when they allow new members in April. they have a walking 3d archery shoot once a month thats open to the public. I went for the first time this month and it was a blast with great people.

A few of my other friends are getting into it the same time as me which will be super fun that we can have some other new hunters to enjoy the sport with.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself on my first post. And so I can get posting so I can start buying some used gear on this site! HAHAHA.
Welcome! I'm new to archery and to the site. I've been rifle hunting since my youth. Archery is therapeutic and cheaper than therapy (sort of) lol! Cheers.