New to this thing they call working out.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
So the title isn't exactly accurate but this is the first time I have actually started training for the hunting season. I have a sheep trip planned for this September and would rather not die of exhaustion on the way to the top of the mountain.

I have been training for a month or so, just cardio and body weight exercises. I just recently started doing some small hikes and step ups with 65lbs on my back. Cardio is pretty good but my hip flexors are about to explode.

Is this a normal thing to feel when first starting to hike with a heavyish pack? or could it be a pack fitting issue? or am I just being a puss and just deal with it.

TBHasler

WKR
Hip flexor pain/strain is super common if just starting out or back from long layoff. I’d reduce weight to about 30# and continue hikes without overdoing it. You should be able to work through it pretty quickly and then ramp up weight/distance.
Important to know discomfort or soreness from Pain.
Good luck on the training and hunt

LaHunter

WKR
Sore hip muscles are normal when just starting to train with a heavy(ish) pack.
If you are sore underneath where your pack waist belt rides, then that may be pack fit / belt location related.

Good luck on your training and your sheep hunt.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks fellas

I will report back if things don't clear up. I could probably drop weight a bit so I can train longer

cheers

njdoxie

WKR
Wow, you guys must be tough, no way I could start now and go on a sheep hunt, it takes me a year or two to be in minimal shape, so now I work out year around, it’s just easier than getting in and out of shape
My deconditioned shape is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex0373

Lil-Rokslider
Grab a foam roller or trigger point ball (racquetball) and roll those bad boys out. Lay on your stomach and press your torso off the ground and slight twist at the hips. I’ve learned the past year that recovery is just as important as the exercising itself.

tex0373

Lil-Rokslider
Grab a foam roller or trigger point ball (racquetball) and roll those bad boys out. Lay on your stomach and press your torso off the ground and slight twist at the hips. I’ve learned the past year that recovery is just as important as the exercising itself.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
The hip flexor pain is normal if you are out of shape and illustrates exactly why weighted packing on rough terrain is so necessary for training. But definitely work up to it, which again is why you need to weight train with a pack. You can't work up to it once the hunt starts.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
AND . . . Don't neglect the hip mobility and strength exercises posted above. Cardio is only one piece of the puzzle. I went for a long backpack hunt years ago in the best cardio shape I have ever been in, but I had neglected all the other exercises cuz I just didn't think I had the time. After high stepping and climbing over deadfall and boulders, and up/down steep slippery ravines, I ached so bad the second day I had to opt out watch the fire. Lesson learned. Mobility and core first, cardio second. Both necessary!

OXN939

WKR
So the title isn't exactly accurate but this is the first time I have actually started training for the hunting season. I have a sheep trip planned for this September and would rather not die of exhaustion on the way to the top of the mountain.

I have been training for a month or so, just cardio and body weight exercises. I just recently started doing some small hikes and step ups with 65lbs on my back. Cardio is pretty good but my hip flexors are about to explode.

Is this a normal thing to feel when first starting to hike with a heavyish pack? or could it be a pack fitting issue? or am I just being a puss and just deal with it.

Hot yoga. Seriously. Flexibility is huge when it comes to injury prevention.