New to tree stands - let’s hear how you do it!

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
I have some private property to hunt in California. I know, the first question is “why do I need a tree stand set up for California?!”. I would be asking the same question until a took a few early mornings to just sit and watch last season and appropriately decided being up in a tree would be the best route to hunt this area. I have had an experienced tree stand whitetail hunter agree after looking at the property.
It is dense, river bottom with deer trails running through on islands. Being up in a tree, out of the wind makes perfect sense.

I have never been in a tree stand, so I have no idea where to start other then a handful of YouTube videos. What setups do you have that make you successful? Brands, tether systems, etc.

I am a believer in “you get what you pay for” and hope to use this tactic for many years so initial expenses are expected!

Thanks!

pk_

WKR
Are you looking to hang stands and leave them stationary or use the same stand and move it around?

pk_

WKR
I am not a stationary guy. I am sure someone who is will chime in. But you basically have ladder stands or hang ons. Most serious guys prefer hang ons and stick ladders. There is a plethora of choices. Millennium and Muddy come to mind.

Thess87

WKR
Laddersticks (I get the big game ones. There heavier but well built and I leave them up). And I like Millinium or hawk hang ons.

LostArra

WKR
If you have not hunted tree stands I would suggest making sure you have the opportunity to practice a lot from a stand. Shooting down at an angle and getting used to heights with a small platform requires some practice. An elevated deck behind your house isn't the same. You will need to decide if you like to shoot standing or sitting.

Hang-on's are more versatile but ladder stands are good for permanent or season-long set ups.

Plan on some type of safety system for fall prevention. I use a rock climbing harness attached to a safety line.

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the climbing harness idea, safety has to be first here. I have two kids and a wife to get back home too.

Any recommendations as far as hang on stands? I am beginning to lean more that direction the more I read and watch. Especially curious on the best ways to get in and out of the tree. Climbing sticks, screw ins?

EdP

WKR
I much prefer ladder stands for their larger platforms, seats, and arm rests. The climb up is also easier and safer. If you are not going to be moving the stand around a lot, a ladder stand makes a lot more sense to me. With climbing sticks and screw-ins you climb straight up the tree. The ladder goes up at a bit of an angle towards the tree that makes climbing easier.

LostArra

WKR
Thank you for the climbing harness idea, safety has to be first here. I have two kids and a wife to get back home too.

Any recommendations as far as hang on stands? I am beginning to lean more that direction the more I read and watch. Especially curious on the best ways to get in and out of the tree. Climbing sticks, screw ins?
Climbing sticks for me 100%
I've seen the result of a failed screw in step. It wasn't pretty.

Just like shooting from a stand it's important to practice (a lot!) hanging the sticks and the stand at ground level. Then learn to attach a linesman rope and start moving up the tree. Youtube has a lot of instructionals.

LostArra

WKR
I forgot to mention I use an older Lone Wolf hang on stand. Light weight, easy to hang.

Lone Wolf has undergone some changes and they have a super expensive line of stands and XOP is supposedly very similar if not the same as the original LW. Someone with more current knowledge will probably comment.

WCB

WKR
I use lone wolf stands and climbing sticks. For comfort you really can't beat Millennium stands. Also, get teh quick hang systems if the stand you choose has the option. Basically you climb up the tree attach a strap with a hook or some sort of hanging system on it. Then when you bring the stand up you simply hang it on that hook or whatever. WAY easier and safer.....but to be honest I normally still do it the hard way for some reason.

As others have said a harness is a must. Also make sure you have a good bow hanger and good rope plenty long to haul your bow up with.

Jbxl20

WKR
I hunt Mainly Pa and Ohio for whitetails. I use hang-ons, ladder stands, climbers and a saddle setup. They all have their places. If you have a good permanent spot I would recommend a nice ladder stand. Easy in, comfortable, easy out. I feel more concealed in a saddle, hang on or climber but 5 of my last 6 archery bucks and a coyote were killed out of a 17’ ladder stand.

Fordguy

WKR
People.have mentioned ladder stands and hang on stands-

how high up do you want to be? A guy can build a platform stand and incorporate a tree into it (for cover, not as one of the supporting legs) fairly easily. Small platform is easy to camouflage, treated 5x5 legs are not prone to rot or insect damage, and of you're so inclined, you can add safety rails. Access can be with screw in steps, sticks, or other more labor intensive methods. Just a thought if you only wanted to be 12 or so feet up. I have one if these in a permanent ambush spot that's only 10 feet high, but it's my most consistent stand for mature deer.

Tedhunts

FNG
I can speak to this...I have property with abt 20 treestands of various types.. Box Blinds, Hang On and Ladder stands.. like someone else said, they each have a specific purpose. For archery I prefer hang on stands with climbing sticks ( every stand has a HSS Safety Rope with harness- mandatory) with stand placement between 17'-20'. I am not brand particular other than I like big enough to be comfortable and place backpack under seat and with mesh seat. We use ladder stands in gun season because I find they are more comfortable, feel safer to some and have a gun rest ( it gets in way during archery). I buy 18' "to-rail" ladder stands also equipped with safety harness. Also, I have 4 redneck brand box blinds for my ag fields... great for wives/kids/ nasty late season weather ( each equipped with a small heater)... I hunt them mainly during muzzle loader when deer are back on food pattern. Tip - is to conceal stands best as possible ( do not trim too much around stand and try to use a double stem tree or trees in a bunch to break up your outline) Also, i have numerous stands in areas so we can ALWAYS hunt proper wind. Thats my .02.. been doing this for almost 20 years at my farm and have seen a couple hundred whitetails end up in the freezer by family and friends.

I use Summit Titans. They are climbers and I got two. They are big and comfortable and I can sit in them all day. They are easier to move around on my atv than a ladder and attach to the tree quickly. I can also rotate them on the tree if needed. Ladders are great for stationary long term use and hang ons are great if you have to hike on foot. I have atv access to all my locations. I will be 60 next hunting season and room, safety and comfort are important to me to keep me in the tree as long as possible. I also have a couple spots with ground blinds and comfortable folding chairs where a tree stand isnt practical. I hunt in Alabama In pine and hardwood forest and clearcut timber areas. Not always a tree where you want it.

Btaylor

WKR
For your scenario, I would seriously consider the Millenium M60U and 2-3 hanging brackets and same number of sets of sticks. You could then prehang sticks and brackets for multiple spots and only have to move the stand. Like has been mentioned, I would strongly encourage never leaving the ground unattached from the tree.

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
For your scenario, I would seriously consider the Millenium M60U and 2-3 hanging brackets and same number of sets of sticks. You could then prehang sticks and brackets for multiple spots and only have to move the stand. Like has been mentioned, I would strongly encourage never leaving the ground unattached from the tree.
I like this idea the best I think. Going to have to play around with a few things. Thanks for the advice

sambo3006

FNG
I would suggest playing around with your safety harness at ground level. Experiment with different height attachment levels on the tree to see which height minimizes interference with your draw arm. This can be an issue, especially if you are turned around very far from the attachment point.
Also, make sure your platform is as close to level as you can get it. Standing on and shooting a bow from a slanted platform 20 feet in the air can be quite uncomfortable and unnerving.