New to tree stands - let’s hear how you do it!

Yoder

WKR
Lone Wolf made some great stands. I have one of their sit and climb stands and my family uses their lock on stands. They sold to a company called Novix. Novix only makes hang on stands and climbing sticks now. Their stands are made in the USA and run around $240. The Chinese made stands (Extreme Outdoor Products, Hawke) are a little cheaper. My next lock on stand will be a Novix. If you have some deep pockets check out Beast gear or Lone Wolf custom stands. They are pretty sweet but $600 is way more than I'm willing to pay.

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Lone Wolf made some great stands. I have one of their sit and climb stands and my family uses their lock on stands. They sold to a company called Novix. Novix only makes hang on stands and climbing sticks now. Their stands are made in the USA and run around $240. The Chinese made stands (Extreme Outdoor Products, Hawke) are a little cheaper. My next lock on stand will be a Novix. If you have some deep pockets check out Beast gear or Lone Wolf custom stands. They are pretty sweet but $600 is way more than I'm willing to pay.
I was looking at lone wolf stands from a suggestion of a whitetail hunting buddy, so good to know. Also wanting to do the American made thing so thanks for the suggestions amigo

Lowg08

WKR
I’m not the best wealth of knowledge but after watching my neighbors dad unload his wheelchair for 6 years. Please wear a harness and a life line from ground to seat please. I suggest millennium stands. I believe it’s L110 or L220 like 300 but everything from millennium I’ve sat in was comfortable. It’s what I would buy if I was looking for a ladder stand.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice so far. There are many hang on stands that are safe to hunt from. Besides the safety factor you want a stand that is easy to hang and comfortable. There is nothing worse than hunting from an uncomfortable stand. The Millennium M50 is an ideal hang on stand. For climbing sticks I buy the cheap ones because once my stand goes up it stays up for at least the season.

If you have honey hole spots that you will hunt year after year ladder stands are the ticket. They are safer, very comfortable for long sits and it is nice having hand rails to rest your arms on. The downsides to them are they are more expensive and require two people to get up.

I went to a rock climbing harness three years ago and will never go back to a standard harness. It is safe and less cumbersome. Most safety issues with a stand are common sense. Sitting in your stand and climbing up and down your climbing sticks don’t lead to most accidents. Getting into and out of your stand are when most accidents happen. You simply must always never get into or out of your stand unless your safety harness is secured to a static safety line or your tree.

Good luck to you. Always keep safety and comfort in mind when making your choices.

Yoder

WKR
I was looking at lone wolf stands from a suggestion of a whitetail hunting buddy, so good to know. Also wanting to do the American made thing so thanks for the suggestions amigo
Lone Wolf and Novix make an "easy hang strap". You put the strap on the tree that has a hook on it. Then when you hang the stand you just set it on the hook and strap it down. It makes the process so much easier since it holds the stand for you while you set it up. Another thing that I don't think is optional is a linemans belt. It allows you to have your hands free while setting up your steps.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
You could use a nail on like my dad did in his younger years. He would take a handful of nails, a hammer and a piece of 2x6 and nail it on a branch of a tree. And then he would sit on that regardless of weather. Now days if my brothers or I mentioned anything like that he would boot us in the ass and tell us not to be stupid. But in all seriousness lone wolf, summits and all others mentioned are great options. Ladder stands are really easy and safe to for spots you don't plan on moving.

LostArra

WKR
Two suggestions to OP
1. If you are not comfortable with heights, practice hanging and shooting from your stand only 3' off the ground. Gradually go up maybe 2' per week and you will get more comfortable. Around here all you need is 12-20' to get in the leaf cover. Hanging your stand in a tree with a lot of limbs around you vs a telephone pole can also help with height anxiety at first.

2. Take a permanent marker in a contrasting color to the webbing strap that secures your stand. Write the date on that strap on the day you first use it. It is easy to forget how old straps can get .

I had a stand hung in a prime deer spot that I had not moved for "a while". I climbed down one morning and noticed the strap was torn and not supporting the stand at all. Only tree growth around the stand supports was holding the stand up. Granted I was harnessed in the entire sit but it still gave me the frights..

Millenium stands have one negative or it could be a positive. The seat is so comfortable it's easy to fall asleep and I have a hard time getting to a standing shooting position from their recliner while folding the seat up. Great stand though.

OMB

WKR
I've been bowhunting whitetails for almost 20 years, and over the past 5 or 6 years, I've spent way more time in ladder stands than hang ons. I have no issue with hang on stands, the recommendations above are all solid, I'd just prefer the stability of a ladder stand anymore, especially if it's in a great location. I've killed more bucks, and bigger bucks, from the ground in a blind or brushed into some cover, but there's places a tree stand gives you an advantage, gives you freedom of movement when they're in close.

If you're going to hunt with hang on stands, replace any tension straps with ratchet straps, wear a harness, and change your straps out every year. Spending $50 every year for new ratchet straps is better than ending up in a wheelchair (I know someone) or rupturing your liver (I also know someone) falling 20 feet.

LWright

FNG
I’d agree with a lot of the other posters, if you’re new to stand hunting a ladder stand would probably be the most user friendly . Once you get more comfortable being in a tree , hang ons or saddles are a great alternative.

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice so far. There are many hang on stands that are safe to hunt from. Besides the safety factor you want a stand that is easy to hang and comfortable. There is nothing worse than hunting from an uncomfortable stand. The Millennium M50 is an ideal hang on stand. For climbing sticks I buy the cheap ones because once my stand goes up it stays up for at least the season.

If you have honey hole spots that you will hunt year after year ladder stands are the ticket. They are safer, very comfortable for long sits and it is nice having hand rails to rest your arms on. The downsides to them are they are more expensive and require two people to get up.

I went to a rock climbing harness three years ago and will never go back to a standard harness. It is safe and less cumbersome. Most safety issues with a stand are common sense. Sitting in your stand and climbing up and down your climbing sticks don’t lead to most accidents. Getting into and out of your stand are when most accidents happen. You simply must always never get into or out of your stand unless your safety harness is secured to a static safety line or your tree.

Good luck to you. Always keep safety and comfort in mind when making your choices.
What are the “cheap” climbing sticks you buy?

GWHunter

FNG
My dad I and I use River's Edge BigFoot XL hang ons. They are large and heavy to carry, but once they are up they are up for the season and are very comfy. We secure the stands with one 2" ratchet strap. Then use a second 1" ratchet strap around the top stick and stand for back up. We use whatever the cheapest ladder sticks that nest together on the ends to form a single ladder we can find. I would recommend hanging the stand a few feet lower than the top of you sticks. It makes climbing into and out of the stand easier and safer and you can you the sticks for hanging your gear. You'll need a pull up line to pull up your pack and weapon. Safety, Safety Safety. Take it from someone who now has a few rods, screws and plates in his foot and leg from a tree fall. DO NOT leave the ground with out being tied into some sort of harness or linemans rope.

Rich M

WKR
The guys who do the sticks and lock-ons are far more serious and mobile than OP says he wants to be. I use a climber on public, did tot he sticks and such but had an incident when going from step to stand and step slid. Never again. Climber or ladder.

For OP, I'd say to use a ladder stand or two. More easy, more comfy, safer. If I had a private place to hang one for years of use, that's what I'd use, no hesitation.

Just loosen the strap some after the season (for the tree) and be prepared to replace the strap when you go in to check the stand (tighten the strap) before the season opens.

WoodBow

WKR
Did not read all of the responses so it may have already been mentioned but the utilization of a linemans belt is paramount to safely hang and take down stands. Blows my mind that I did it for so long without one. Linemans belt makes it totally safe and leaves you hands free.

I prefer the hang on climbing sticks that are separate. They are more flexible for wonky trees. Millenium stands are hard to beat for comfort.

Reactions: WCB

WCB

WKR
What are the “cheap” climbing sticks you buy?

If you want individual type steps for a more permanent type set up...I like these. Almost like climbing up a ladder but you can shift the around branches or navigate a tree a bit better than a solid stick. I use these on my "permanent" hang on sets or preset trees where I might just have to bring in the stand and hang it.

The main property that I hunt whitetails on is about 170 acres. I hunt it exclusively from stands of various types.

I use elevated, built-in-place box blinds (shooting houses we call them) in locations looking over open fields or food plots that have been productive year after year. I almost never get in them unless the weather is really bad though or I'm hunting with my grandkids. I probably use them less than 10% of the time, as I much prefer to hunt from a tree stand. But family members that hunt occasionally love them.

I also use ladder stands and tripods in locations that have been productive year after year. Most of them are in the hardwood timber areas. I hunt from them probably about 30%-40% of the time. I like them a lot because they are easy to maintain and easy to get in/out of. They stay up year around and I almost never move one once it's set up.

I also use several climbing stands scattered around the property in new locations that I think I have a good chance of bagging a good buck. I leave them out all season and don't move them very often. They may or may not be in the same location next season. I hunt from them more than the others just because mine are comfortable and I can get really high in the tree with them, if I want. But the older I get the less I use them and more I use the other types.

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, for the advice! A lot of good take aways from the comments. The whitetail community seems to pass information more freely then the mule deer guys 😂😂