New to Utah

chy

FNG
Any information is a appreciated. That being said I'm new to Utah and new to Western hunting. I have been looking at maps combined with tag availability. If anyone has suggestions on do's and don'ts when it comes to applying for tags in Utah for the first time I'm all ears. Also if your willing to give me any information on public land that's appreciated not looking specific unit locations or a coveted spot. Just something to start doing some e-scouting.

Any information is an appreciated. That being said I'm new to Utah and new to Western hunting. I have been looking at maps combined with tag availability. If anyone has suggestions on do's and don'ts when it comes to applying for tags in Utah for the first time I'm all ears. Also if your willing to give me any information on public land that's appreciated not looking specific unit locations or a coveted spot. Just something to start doing some e-scouting.
I’m in Utah currently. There’s plenty of public land in Utah so I wouldnt worry about having people give you spots. Figure out what deer season you want to hunt (archery, muzzleloader, or rifle) then look on Utahs DWR website at the draw odds for each hunt. Find the hunts that you can draw every year with 0 points in the season you want to hunt (I’d find 3 so you’ll definitely draw). I’d also check harvest rates and public land amounts to decide the units you apply for. Then when you draw go out and scout the unit you drew and you’ll kill deer every year.

For elk you can hunt general every year. I’d pick an area near to you and learn it well.

For the premium deer and elk hunts you’ll have to pick one or the other to apply for and you’ll need to collect points for 10-20 years to draw a good hunt. Same with the big 4 (goat, sheep, moose, and bison) You’ll have to pick one and save up points.

Reactions: chy
Timberline001 says it straight.

As a non-resident....... I'm sitting on 8 points for Premium Limited Entry Deer and Elk, if you're just now getting in the game buckle up for a long ride. Sheep and Goats is a pipe dream....... but you can't be successful if you don't apply.

In response to General Deer (which you do have to apply for), I've hunted Utah on 2 occasions with no points, there are units that will take up to +-7 General points. If you're wanting to hunt now look at the General Deer tags and don't be afraid to venture over to Colorado either (lots of opportunities).

Check out GoHunt, it's worth the $150 to become a member to get the Insider advantages.

Good luck!

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Like mentioned above. Find a unit you can draw every couple years and that is some what close to where you live. The more you know the unit the better it will be for you. Applying for a unit half way across the state and getting to hunt it every 5 plus years makes learning the unit hard. I’ve hunted utah general twice in the same unit in back to back years and there are some great general units in Utah