New to Western Hunting Boot recommendations.

I am new to western hunting and planning my first trip out west from Wisconsin. We are going to do a Colorado elk hunt. My question is i have Ultralight Hunters by Meindl (800 gram) currently for whitetail hunts back here that keep my feet warm. My question with going into the mountains hopefully 1st rifle season is if they will be to warm and/or have enough support for the steeper rougher terrain. I currently have no issues with them and would like to avoid buying new boots but dont want to ruin a hunt with poor/improper boots. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated as this is my first post and am new to this.

Thanks!

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
When I went to idaho the ultralight 800s were my primary boot for the the pocono and catskill mountains here in PA/NY. Before I went I got a used pair of lowas just in case. 1/2 day in the ultralights and I figured out they were too flexible and the grip was not near aggressive enough.

I wore the lowas the entire rest of the week and was glad to have the stiffness and vibram tread.

The meindl's always fit my foot great though so I just bought the meindl comfort hunter which are 400gr and a much more robust design while still fairly light and have a good looking vibram sole. Just got them last week so no real miles in them but I think they will be a lot more suited for mountain usage while still be extremely comfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
800gr is likely way too much for 1st rifle season (unless it dumps snow of course). Unlined would likely be a better choice.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
Thanks for the guidance on an unlined boot. Any suggestions on what brands/type of boot would be preferable? Or should i just look at past threads on the subject.

Shooter28

FNG
I’m doing an elk hunt in CO this fall during 1st season rifle as well. I just picked up a pair of Schnees Beartooth 0g. I still haven’t had a chance to break them in but so far they are extremely comfortable. I talked to one of their CS reps and this was the boot they recommended

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks for the guidance on an unlined boot. Any suggestions on what brands/type of boot would be preferable? Or should i just look at past threads on the subject.

2nd the Schnees beartooth. A great all round elk hunting boot. Myself and and my hunting buddies all run those or variations (granite) and have worked well. Scarpa, Lowa, Zamberlan are others to consider. Coming from the low country, Id also recommend finding the lightest weight boot you can. Less pounds on your feet will keep you chasing elk for longer.

Everyone is different though, you'll want to try a few things. Opinions on "best" boot are pretty worthless overall....

OP
WiscoHoundsman
2nd the Schnees beartooth. A great all round elk hunting boot. Myself and and my hunting buddies all run those or variations (granite) and have worked well. Scarpa, Lowa, Zamberlan are others to consider. Coming from the low country, Id also recommend finding the lightest weight boot you can. Less pounds on your feet will keep you chasing elk for longer.

Everyone is different though, you'll want to try a few things. Opinions on "best" boot are pretty worthless overall....
thanks for the advice, I understand there’s a lot of variables in boots/brands I will look into the brands and boots mentioned

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Just make sure they fit and your heel doesn’t come up when going uphill and be certain that your toes do not touch the front of the boot on a steep downhill incline. I’ve had good luck with 400 gram insulated - they’re not to hot if it’s a little warm but they’re nice when it’s cold or if there is some snow. I’ve had a few different brands but the last couple of years I’ve had Kennetrek’s and they are awesome (if they fit you correctly).

OP
WiscoHoundsman
Just make sure they fit and your heel doesn’t come up when going uphill and be certain that your toes do not touch the front of the boot on a steep downhill incline. I’ve had good luck with 400 gram insulated - they’re not to hot if it’s a little warm but they’re nice when it’s cold or if there is some snow. I’ve had a few different brands but the last couple of years I’ve had Kennetrek’s and they are awesome (if they fit you correctly).
That’s some good advice on things to look for in the boots. I had not thought about how my foot is moving compared to the boot. I just wish we had places here that carry some of the brands mentioned. Guess I’ll have to try a few and return/exchange

Zappaman

WKR
My Meindl lightweight boots are excellent FLAT country boots for early Kansas deer and goose (field) season and spring/fall turkey. But they have little ankle support due to the super lightweight design. I wouldn't do rocks or heavy slopes with them.

But I've never found a "mountain" hunting boot in a lightweight boot (I want to afford) and so my older Danner Sasquatch boots (with no insulation) or older Danner Trophy (600g) are my go-to's where I want a stiffer boot.

Honestly... I feel new Danner boots aren't what they used to be, but I'd have zero issue with buying an older pair (used but... barely) for about $100 on Ebay, etc. Right now is a good time to shop them and my Sasquatch boots I did buy used (in very nice condition) on Ebay recently (for $90 shipped), are the best boot I can imagine for the money.

In fact, they went through the lake swamps all last week helping me bag three pigs over four days in Texas. Zero water leaks, and as I was dragging 150 lb. dressed pigs out OVER hills and some steeper terrain for 1/2 that time, I appreciated the ankle support (and water proof design).

I just spent the day cleaning them up and conditioning them- killer boot IMHO. And buying used for 1/3rd the price was cool. I'd never thought to go to Ebay until last fall. I was set on a pair of Elk Hunters, but turned out the older (better) Danners can be had for good money (especially now right after the season). Food for thought.

Good luck!

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If they have your size there is some kenetrek hardscrabble boots on dvor.com that are a smoking good deal if you don’t mind them being black