New Toy-Tikka .300 WSM

OP
T
Are you reloading or using factory? What are you are going with and +1 to let us know how it shoots! Congrats on the slick new tool!

So the answer is...maybe. I have never reloaded before, but have had two people in the last two days talk to me about reloading. I actually have a ton of reloading stuff, and the wife is out of town with the kid for two weeks, so maybe it's a good time to sit down and learn how to do it!

hunting1

WKR
I have a or a couple of each .308. 06, and 300WM but love .308 cals and thinking of picking up a 300WSM. I would start with H4350 and 180's. Trouble today is finding any if you do not already have it. Report back or give us a range report.

Shrek

WKR
Nice rifle :) I highly recommend handloading. If saving money and more accurate ammo is not enough there is the added satisfaction of DIY.

I have a tikka t-3 in 300 wsm. Reloaded 19 and hornady ssts are the combo I found to works best for me. Also the tikka likes em hot. I started with light loads and it never grouped well until I got close to max. As always though start low and work up to max

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will enjoy your tikka, mine has served me well for 10 seasons! As noted the SST's tend to shoot well in these guns. I shoot Hornady 154 gr ssts in my 7mm..........

TwoTikkas

WKR
My Tikka Hunter 300 WSM is a real hammer. I (it) too likes the A-Bond 180. Likewise on the upper end of the scale for heat. Nuttin wrong with a good T3! Congrats.

Jon Boy

WKR
You will enjoy your tikka, mine has served me well for 10 seasons! As noted the SST's tend to shoot well in these guns. I shoot Hornady 154 gr ssts in my 7mm..........

Sorry to thread jack...but how well do those ssts work on elk? Everone told me not to use them out of my 270 on heavy boned animals like elk and bear but they flat out shoot out of my gun.

BTW awesome set up travis!!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think these boys found they did the job too well:)
PA090625_zpsb9d589f2.jpg

2011bull1.jpg

DSCN1252.jpg

modified1.jpg

DSCN12324_zpsc0686a73.jpg

I have found they do well in close and exceptionally well in the 200-300 range....all in the bullet placement.

The tikka has performed well for me and with manners coming out with aftermarket stock there are some great options for stocks finially. I'll have to look but if they offer the new ultralight stocks to fit tikka I may have to try one. I tried accubonds, ballistic tips, barnes tsx and sst's in mine. It liked the sst by far the best and the barnes seemed to be the next best option. I got bored with my tupperware stock and painted it. Oh yeah and go get the sims recoil pad immediately and get rid of the factory pad.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Logan T

WKR
You will love it, i have the same gun. I'm no reloader, and the best store ammo i have found is the Ballistic Silver Tips. I've tried lots others but the BSTs fly the best out of my gun. I've killed a ton of critters, and a half dozen elk with that set up at over 450 yards with those bullets punching thru both shoulders.

OP
T
Went down to Justins tonight and lightened my trigger and ran a couple rounds through the chrono. 2805 average with 180g bullet. Thanks Justin!