New Travel Trailer - Coleman or Jayco?

270quest

WKR
Wanting to get some thoughts/feedback. Wife and I are upgrading and purchasing a new bunkhouse travel trailer this week and have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Coleman Light 2855 BH
https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetai...an-light-2755bh-bunkhouse-20k-MER1820762

Or we spend a little more money and go with:

Jayco Jayfeather 27 BHB
https://www.bishsmeridian.com/inv/2021-Jayco-Jay-Feather-27BHB-Meridian-ID-21611/#mainpic

They both are the length/weight/floorplan we like. The Jayco will cost us about 6k more at the end of the day. These two dealers are next to each other and I have been going back and forth with both for the last week eeking out the best deal possible.

Trying to get feedback if you all think the Jayco brand is worth the additional money? Is the quality that much better?

Also, I would prefer to buy the Jayco at the local dealer, that way I won't be supporting Marcus Lemonis company - but 6k difference is a big deal and not sure his liberal views alone would make me choose the Jayco. Thoughts?

That Jayco looks like you have added value. It has more outdoor storage from what I can see. Coleman don’t have tank cover and only outdoor storage is in the front. I hate that on mine. But it’s a small issue. Jayco has a roof rack to make checking the roof easy. I need a ladder! I’m sure their is more extras the Jayco has that I can’t see. End of the day it’s your money.

I went through this last year and was overwhelmed. None of the travel trailers are built better or more durable than the next, they are still a box going down the road hitting bumps. Things will break at some point just go into it open minded knowing you will be dealing with warranty and problems along the way. Both are nice trailers and I can’t add much advice on the model to choose. We ended up going forest river and honestly it was like throwing a dart at a wall. They are all nice with little features that pull people one way or another. Best wishes they are a fantastic way to spend time with the family.

BFR

WKR
Either of those would be fine, what I would consider is follow- up service, warranty work basically customer service after the sale. Another consideration is warranty, Coleman has 1 yr, Jayco has 2yr., but is dependent on the dealers service center too.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ditto the Nash/Arctic Fox/Desert Fox dealer question...four season rated and built robustly compared to the majority of other brands.

RV Consumer’s Group has objective rankings of makers offerings and highly suggest taking a look prior to purchase.

Reactions: ZDR

BowTrout

FNG
We sold our Forest River and upgraded, size wise, to a Jayco last year and have been pretty pleased with it.

We're in the same boat as you, upgrading this year from a popup to a bunkhouse and have looked at both models you have as well as a comparable kodiak,Kodiak, wildwood...biggest thing I'm looking for is an actual shower surround in the bathroom....some just have paneling with wallpaper on it....and it looks like prime rot area to me. The kodiak model has aluminum studs in the walls Instead of wood so it may be more solid a unit.

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
We ended up buying a Heartland North Trail 29BHP. Getting built at the factory as we speak - should have it in a couple weeks.

I hope this works out for you. My dad bought a Heartland trailer about 4 years ago, brand new off the lot for about $50k. They immediately had problems with things like the awning, and some plumbing. They had the worst time dealing with warranty issues. I don’t know if it was just that specific dealer, or heartland giving them grief.

I’d love to get a travel trailer some day. When and if I do, it will be an Escape 5.0.

Again, I hope you have good luck and I don’t mean to be negative. Just sharing.

Brianmp01

WKR
Have you looked for a uses one, you can save quite a bit and most of the time all the bugs are worked out and they are barley used. I got my 2016 Jayco after the people had it for 1 year they paided like 28k and I walked away with it for 14k cash!

IDLassie

FNG
I'm with 307 go with an Arctic Fox or Northwoods.
We have a Arctic Fox and it's 3 times better than anything we owned in the past and we've own quite a few travel trailers.

Reactions: ZDR

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Buying a brand new rv of any kind is usually a bad idea. No matter what brand or model you buy 95% will have multiple warranty issues which take a long time to get fixed. You lose a ton of money on depreciation and the dealer has it more than you do the first year.
Buy a used one a few years old at a huge discount that someone else already has dialed in.

As for jayco I currently live/travel in a 2016 jayco pinnacle 38flsa and have had very few issues.

WKR
I never had a problem with my Nash, purchased new in 2013. Buying used, you never know what's hiding and been covered up, primarily water damage.

I can't say enough good things about the Nash/Arctic Fox/Desert Fox products from Northwoods.

I agree on buying new, unless you really know who and where a used unit has been there can be alot of problems hiding. With 2 new units only had minor warranty issues and the one fridge that quit, but dealer was quick to fix all the issues.
One thing I would add again are the fold out solid steps vrs the hanging off the bottom of the trailer ones, stops the rocking every time you are coming and going, and way better platform to not have the kids miss and slide down.

ahlgringo

WKR
echo the above about Northwoods/arctic fox/desert fox

I have a desert fox th that I have been pretty happy with.

I had an old buddy that was a rv mechanic, he put it bluntly- they are all pieces of sh#t, some just bigger than others.

Marble

WKR
I can't see myself buying a new trailer ever. For half the price I can get one that's 3 years old.

I currently live in a Jayco m-f (got 18ish months before I can transfer). It has its small little needed repairs. But it's a good trailer.

This trailer is a 2013 and it was over 30k brand new. I bought it last year for 15k from someone who used it 2-3 times a year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Go with the dealer you like / trust more. As many above said, with a new TT you will likely have warranty issues and have to bring it back to the dealer. Our first TT was purchased through Camping World, and I would likely never buy from them again. Our current TT was from a local dealer and the service we have had has been pretty good. Not great, but at least we have been able to get work done when needed.

Lastly, look really hard at space and considering how much you need. Our first one (we were brand new to trailer camping) was too small for our needs and we quickly got frustrated with it. Traded up the next year to our current (which is actually bigger than what we "need" but more space is better if you can tow it).

Our current is a Springdale Campfire model.

Oh, one other piece. I did not look, but do they have the same fresh water, and grey and black water capacities? That was one of the big selling points for me on the Campfire. Had nearly double the holding tanks compared to others.