New tree stand set up on elk trail

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
@cnelk if you were to buy a new tree stand, are there any models that jump out at you?

I have so many hang-on stands kicking around, I just grab one.
I have a couple kinds but I couldn’t tell you what brand they are.

My favorite is my XOP climber tho

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Ask that question in the whitetail forum and you’ll get the answer you’re looking for lol.

I would actually use a saddle instead. Way easier to get into a spot and I find them more comfortable than a hang on stand.

I have a few buddies that hunt with me so I place several stands.
That way we all don’t have to have a saddle set up, we aren’t committed to exclusively tree stand elk hunting, only when we want to

Looking at that picture any whitetail hunter would be proud . Lol . I can sit in a stand for hours . Those of you that use stands for elk is it during archery only ? Early or late season ? Elk seem so migratory that just shy of a wallow it would be hard hard pin down the perfect spot , but also timing (camera probably helps ). Just curious how many of you guys use stands and what are you looking for in the perfect set up ?

Jaquomo

WKR
I've killed bulls and cows from stands, and they are great tools in the right spot. Either on a trail like cnelk, at a grazing fence crossing between feeding or bedding, or at a waterhole where the prevailing daytime thermal isnt traveling up toward where they are coming from. Which is tough, because so many of the waterholes I know are below the bedding areas. I've had better luck on travel routes. But I would much rather hunt them on the ground...

pfraze

FNG
I’ve known about an elk trail for a few years and finally got in there the other day and set up a tree stand - along with a trail cam.

Should be a good location

View attachment 429481
I plan on using my saddle this year. I have read a lot of your post pertaining to stand hunting. Just curious, this stand looks fairly low. Is this typical hunting height? I shoot traditional archery so the lower, the better shot angle for me. I've never hunted elk from a stand and I want to learn all I can. Thanks

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I plan on using my saddle this year. I have read a lot of your post pertaining to stand hunting. Just curious, this stand looks fairly low. Is this typical hunting height? I shoot traditional archery so the lower, the better shot angle for me. I've never hunted elk from a stand and I want to learn all I can. Thanks

Each stand location is unique. Some are higher.
I didn’t realize that my stick bundle only had 3 sections when I grabbed it. I’ll probably add another section to this stand and raise the platform about 3ft.

But you definitely don’t need to be real high up.

But, if you like heights, go for it

@cnelk if you were to buy a new tree stand, are there any models that jump out at you?

For something you leave in the tree, millennium m50 or m100 are comfortable but suck to pack in/out quietly.

For a light aluminum stand for hang and hunting out of I have been happy with XOP and i'm not sure there is a better value for the $ but they are made in china. Novix (formerly lone wolf), lone wolf custom gear, and Beast gear are the made in USA big $ darlings.

I've thought of doing this on past hunts. Hunting Whitetails in WI I'm real familiar with setting one fairly efficiently, just didn't know if it was worth tossing a hang on and sticks in the truck for the trip out west. The last trip to CO it was hot and found an active wallow that could've worked on. I have a hard time sitting and waiting for elk though, but certainly am looking to add any successful tactics to help fill that tag too.
Have any of you found a minimum height for a stand to be effective? I've shot deer with my bow 12ft in a tree and others 25ft in a tree. With an Elk being a bit taller are you more apt to get busted or don't they bother looking up?

sndmn11

WKR
For something you leave in the tree, millennium m50 or m100 are comfortable but suck to pack in/out quietly.

For a light aluminum stand for hang and hunting out of I have been happy with XOP and i'm not sure there is a better value for the $ but they are made in china. Novix (formerly lone wolf), lone wolf custom gear, and Beast gear are the made in USA big $ darlings.
I am just learning now. One thing that caught my eye with Novix is that it seemed they could be adjusted for not straight trees easily, "offest bracket". Do the others do the same? IF they do, it isn't apparent to an ignorant like me.

1658256362057.png

I've thought of doing this on past hunts. Hunting Whitetails in WI I'm real familiar with setting one fairly efficiently, just didn't know if it was worth tossing a hang on and sticks in the truck for the trip out west. The last trip to CO it was hot and found an active wallow that could've worked on. I have a hard time sitting and waiting for elk though, but certainly am looking to add any successful tactics to help fill that tag too.
Have any of you found a minimum height for a stand to be effective? I've shot deer with my bow 12ft in a tree and others 25ft in a tree. With an Elk being a bit taller are you more apt to get busted or don't they bother looking up?

Gotta believe elk will be way less wary of someone in a tree compared to whitetails with 10 hunters per square mile trying to kill them from a tree for generations.

That was my initial thought. Just not sure on sitting too long on a spot waiting with only a 7-10 day hunt. If you have the animals pinned and know when they come through thanks to the camera, it's surely no different than how we prove out spots here before investing time in the stand during season. Good luck!