New tripod pan head option

Hey guys been playing around with a new 2 way fluid pan head and thought I would share, it's the Vanguard PH-111v. I have been testing it out all this spring on shed hunting and now a few spot and stalk bear trips. I have been extremely impressed with it, its fluid in both pan and tilt and weighs only 14oz. It is also one of the more compact heads out there, especially for the features it has. I know Vanguard isn't traditionally known for high quality gear but this is pretty impressive. All for only $69 its going to be pretty hard to beat.

[video=youtube;JmaUrkY_sFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JmaUrkY_sFE[/video]

EDIT: Didn't see it was a video from my phone only saw the cover picture.

How much does that spotter weight and did that head really allow you to lock it down quickly without "drifting"?

Mike

Last edited:
OP
S&S ARCHERY
EDIT: Didn't see it was a video from my phone only saw the cover picture.

How much does that spotter weight and did that head really allow you to lock it down quickly without "drifting"?

Mike

Yeah you can lock down really easily with almost zero drifting. I just ran a Vortex 80mm spotter on it the other night and it performed flawlessly.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
I'm not sure exactly what promaster I have, it's stamped 4400, but 6160 sounds right.

Yeah I doubled checked the 6160 is the 4400. Its a really good head for the price, I have been using one for a couple years now. The Vanguard is better in every category though, smoother panning, smoother tilt, locking QR plate and 2oz lighter.

Rizzy

WKR
Sounds like this might be my next head, I like those locks.
My 6160 is hard to get to not creep, I have to really tighten down the locks on it. Other than that its been good

BigSurArcher

Banned
Steve, have you used it with binos mounted atop? It looks like the long handle can be removed, and all elevation and windage tension is done by levers on the head and not the handle... correct? I think I might order one through you tomorrow.

sk1

WKR
I actually ordered this head about a month ago, I personally didn't care for it, and sent it back to amazon....I felt like the panning was "smooth enough" but the initial movement i could not get it to start panning without a noticeable jerk from its current position. Which if using with a spotting scope on 40x, would sometimes put me off target more than i would like and then have to play the pan back and forth game until i got it just right.

i have decided to stick with the benro s2 fluid head at 12.8oz http://www.adorama.com/BES2.html , however i need to warn anyone considering this head, the panning and tilting is very stiff, but has not been an issue for me other than it's a little annoying. I used this side by side with the vanguard ph-111v, and IMO clearly smoother, no jerking when starting your initial pan, but definitely has more resistance than i would prefer when panning. On occasion i need to grab the tripod leg when panning depending on the position your in.

I am sure Steve has much more experience with tripod heads than i, but those are just my thoughts. i had high hopes for this vanguard head, but it just wasnt for me.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I actually ordered this head about a month ago, I personally didn't care for it, and sent it back to amazon....I felt like the panning was "smooth enough" but the initial movement i could not get it to start panning without a noticeable jerk from its current position. Which if using with a spotting scope on 40x, would sometimes put me off target more than i would like and then have to play the pan back and forth game until i got it just right.

i have decided to stick with the benro s2 fluid head at 12.8oz http://www.adorama.com/BES2.html , however i need to warn anyone considering this head, the panning and tilting is very stiff, but has not been an issue for me other than it's a little annoying. I used this side by side with the vanguard ph-111v, and IMO clearly smoother, no jerking when starting your initial pan, but definitely has more resistance than i would prefer when panning. On occasion i need to grab the tripod leg when panning depending on the position your in.

I am sure Steve has much more experience with tripod heads than i, but those are just my thoughts. i had high hopes for this vanguard head, but it just wasnt for me.

I think you may have gotten a bad one or something... who knows.

I'm using one now and it's smooth as can be. I'll continue messing with it and report back, but I prefer it over the Mon RC2 by far.

sk1

WKR
I think you may have gotten a bad one or something... who knows.

I'm using one now and it's smooth as can be. I'll continue messing with it and report back, but I prefer it over the Mon RC2 by far.

i hope so, as i really wanted to like it....it was smooth enough other than that initial movement, i would even put one hand on the scope body and one on the handle and try to move as gently as possible and i would still get that slight jerk at the start of panning

Last edited:
OP
S&S ARCHERY
i hope so, as i really wanted to like it....it was smooth enough other than that initial movement, i would even put one hand on the scope body and one on the handle and try to move as gently as possible and i would still get that slight jerk at the start of panning

I am hoping you got a bad one, I have pulled half a dozen or so of these out of the box and all of them have been great. The initial movement is a little stiff but it doesn't jerk on me at all.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Steve, have you used it with binos mounted atop? It looks like the long handle can be removed, and all elevation and windage tension is done by levers on the head and not the handle... correct? I think I might order one through you tomorrow.

Yeah you can remove the handle and just operate it by pushing the binos around like a ball head would be. I haven't personally done this but I don't see that there would be any problem.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently using the Benro, and think it is OK. There is some jerkiness to it as well, if you have the tension set to stay put with a full size spotter on top. The build quality isn't great.

Perhaps I need to get ahold of one of these Vanguards for a comparison.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
One really nice feature with the Benro is you can adjust the ANGLE of the handle, so you can use it with bins , without having to put it in front of them.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
One really nice feature with the Benro is you can adjust the ANGLE of the handle, so you can use it with bins , without having to put it in front of them.

Yeah you can't do that with the Vanguard unfortunately, but the handle comes down at a steep enough angle I think you'd be ok.