New Truck/Camper/SxS setup....your thoughts?

bsnedeker

WKR
Ok guys, I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a camping setup for my family (I may also use it from time to time for hunting but you know...). I currently have a 1/2 ton Tundra so I've been looking at getting a 3/4 ton to let me haul this setup safely and comfortably.

Here is my dilemma: The wife does NOT like toy haulers. She really likes the campers that have a complete bunkhouse in the back for the kids (we have 3). I've found a couple of toy-haulers that have a setup that is similar but they are too long for me to haul in the mountains in my opinion. The Stryker ST3313 is a good example...great layout, but 37 feet long. I'd prefer to keep trailer under 32' in the mountains.

What I've been thinking about the last couple of days: What if I get a flatbed on my pickup and get a bumper-pull bunkhouse-style trailer. I could load the SxS onto the flatbed, then hookup and go. I'd need to make sure I had a payload rating that could handle having a 1500 lb SxS in the back of the truck, while also having a trailer hooked up but it seems doable to me.

What are your thoughts? I am a total newb when it comes to all of this...never had a camper or a SxS before so I'm open to suggestions.

260madman

WKR
I wouldn’t call it investing because it’s a losing proposition when it comes to money 🤪.

No matter what you do go 1 ton for the payload capacity as the 3/4 tons are lacking in that department with a diesel.

Bumper pull you’ll want a WD hitch and sway control. I use one on my 2500 gasser. It definitely helps with everything in the box of the truck and the nose heavy trailer.

Im sure I’ll think of more after I drink more coffee.

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
I wouldn’t call it investing because it’s a losing proposition when it comes to money 🤪.

No matter what you do go 1 ton for the payload capacity as the 3/4 tons are lacking in that department with a diesel.

Bumper pull you’ll want a WD hitch and sway control. I use one on my 2500 gasser. It definitely helps with everything in the box of the truck and the nose heavy trailer.

Im sure I’ll think of more after I drink more coffee.

Lol...good point! The scrooge in me has been putting this off for a long time as I'm kind of a penny pincher, but I want my family to be able to enjoy the mountains as much as I do, so I look at it as an investment in my family if that makes sense!

Interesting point about a 1-ton. I've been playing around with truck builds quite a bit and it seemed like the payloads on the 3/4 tons I was building (beefed up suspension all the way around) it would work but of course I'm open to a 1 ton. The only thing I should mention is that I'd really prefer a gas engine over a diesel. I work from home so my truck will often times sit for a week or two without me touching it, especially in the winter. I think the maintenance on a gasser makes more sense for me based on how much I drive..but again, I'm new to all this so what do I know? I did end up putting about 15K miles on my truck last year from all my various hunting trips, so not low mileage. I don't use it that much, but when I do use it, I USE it!

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an option if you are up to it. It looked really top heavy and unstable to me...kinda scary actually. Maybe a flatbed would be better. The SxS was really up there riding awfully high.

I personally would go with a trailer. They make hybrid toy hauler/campers that would seem to be a better option and keep the wife happy. Still may have the gas smell in the cabin though.
9a29ffe1ddaafd58b8daceea27e7591d.jpg
1378ceba10afc22c1470882df6051b1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most SxS's are big enough they are going to overhang on a flatbed pretty good. You can get by with a two seater, but a second row of seats for a family it ain't going on a truck bed.

My gator fills a flatbed, and it's pretty compact.

Here is an option if you are up to it. It looked really top heavy and unstable to me...kinda scary actually. Maybe a flatbed would be better. The SxS was really up there riding awfully high.

I personally would go with a trailer. They make hybrid toy hauler/campers that would seem to be a better option and keep the wife happy. Still may have the gas smell in the cabin though.

I can't imagine trying to use something like that in the mountains.

Brings up, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

tdhanses

WKR
Look at toy haulers with queen beds in the back and that the door converts to a deck, try to sell your wife on the pros/cons of having a toy hauler, personally I want to sell my camper and upgrade to a toy hauler as I either take the camper or the sxs but never both. Also The ride of a 1 ton will be super stiff compared to what your used to and possibly your wife will hate it, hard to say.

I like this size and layout, it also has two queen beds in the back that come down like a bunk. Key thing is what sxs, id highly recommend the honda pioneer 1000-5 or yamaha rmax 4.

Get a 1-ton, throw the SxS on top of the bed, and then bumper pull a trailer. You'll be able to get a ~30-32' that's not a toy-hauler with bunks for around that size.

Definitely not an investment! But will make great memories for the kids.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
My roping buddy has a new 3/4 ton Cummins and it’ll pull most anything. We were going to a event and passed a guy, looked down and we’re going 90 and that’s with a loaded horse trailer. Barely have to hit the gas and it’ll go and pull pretty much anything you want to pull. I’d go with a diesel. The benefits out weigh the costs here I think. The exhaust/engine brake on them will help a ton especially driving those mountain roads. It’ll pull your trailer way better then a gasser too.

Now that I went on my little rant if you decide to get a flatbed and put a sxs on the back then remember that you can’t just throw stuff on the back of a flatbed without putting sides on or strapping stuff down or it’ll slide off. I’d maybe just say go with a shorter toy hauler but I don’t even own a camp trailer so I really can’t give ya much advice there.

260madman

WKR
And really, to buy this stuff right now is ridiculously expensive. Inflation is here and rising (up 3.6% for just August) and oil is up to $80/barrel. Prices aren’t sustainable with what’s going on. I’d expect a crash by spring if things keep going like they are.

Had a buddy that did this on a 97 F350 he build the bed with a ramp up over the cab to load a rzr 4 on. They used it twice. Said it was terrifying to drive. Put the factory bed back on the truck and traded in the bunkhouse on a toy hauler.

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Had a buddy that did this on a 97 F350 he build the bed with a ramp up over the cab to load a rzr 4 on. They used it twice. Said it was terrifying to drive. Put the factory bed back on the truck and traded in the bunkhouse on a toy hauler.
I mean, dang, that's probably the only thing I need to read right there. That, and the fact that I haven't been able to find any examples of people doing this pretty much settles it.

Sounds like you already know what would work best for you (toy hauler that is still short enough to get around in, but a decent amount of space). If I bought what my wife "liked", I would be driving around in a semi, pulling a 40' trailer. We still some how seem to get by with a normal truck and 30' trailer....weird.

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Ok, lots to respond to, thanks everyone!
Most SxS's are big enough they are going to overhang on a flatbed pretty good. You can get by with a two seater, but a second row of seats for a family it ain't going on a truck bed.

My gator fills a flatbed, and it's pretty compact.
We were going to go with a 3-seater on the SxS...Can Am Defender with a single row of seats is the one I'm looking at. But yeah, I looked it up and they are about 10 feet long and most flatbeds I've looked at so far max out at 8.5' for a long bed so there would be overhang. Sounds like this is not a good idea.

As a serious response, tell her to suck it up on toy haulers.
Believe me, I've tried and I'm going to try again! She and I just look at campers very differently. For me a camper is a place to sleep in and store your shit and gives the girls a private place to go to the bathroom. I don't see us spending a bunch of time in it. She seems to think we are going to be spending days at a time in this thing so she really wants to have a separate room for the kids.
Look at toy haulers with queen beds in the back and that the door converts to a deck, try to sell your wife on the pros/cons of having a toy hauler, personally I want to sell my camper and upgrade to a toy hauler as I either take the camper or the sxs but never both. Also The ride of a 1 ton will be super stiff compared to what your used to and possibly your wife will hate it, hard to say.

I like this size and layout, it also has two queen beds in the back that come down like a bunk. Key thing is what sxs, id highly recommend the honda pioneer 1000-5 or yamaha rmax 4.

I'll look into this trailer, thanks! The one I had my eye on is the Stryker ST2816: https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/stryker-toy-hauler/st-2816/. For me it checks all the boxes. It has the two queens in the back and has a curtain you can draw to separate them from the main cabin, and it's only 32'8" long
Or, get a smaller 5th wheel camper with a receiver hitch on the rear to pull a trailer with the SxS on the trailer.
Yeah, I've literally never towed ANYTHING other than my 4x8' utility trailer on trips to the dump. I don't think I want to jump into double-pulling trailers in the mountains just quite yet!
And really, to buy this stuff right now is ridiculously expensive. Inflation is here and rising (up 3.6% for just August) and oil is up to $80/barrel. Prices aren’t sustainable with what’s going on. I’d expect a crash by spring if things keep going like they are.
And yeah dude, I get it! I may wait until spring on a lot of this stuff, but I do want to enjoy it next summer if at all possible.

Granted his bed was heavy with boxes underneath and such. But it was just so much weight on the rear axle.

The double trailers is not legal in Oregon anyway not sure about other states.

Go full 1 ton and add a TOY-UP Industries utv rack. Then you can have a regular tongue pull bunkhouse style camper. https://www.toyupindustries.com/.
You may have to wait until spring to get some of this stuff, the utv market is completely bonkers right now with supply issues.

I do this with my SXS and over about 55MPH it is not fun. I use it for short trips, no interstate travel. It was also nice to have when we took the toy hauler camping as I could put the SXS up on the truck once we set camp and we could drive to the local trail heads to go for rides.