New truck must haves

Jmort1754

WKR
Replacing my totaled truck

21 ram 1500

I have a cap on order
Decked system on order
Tired I think I'm going with exo grappler or cooper at3.
Driving is 50/50 gravel mud and highway

What am I missing ?

Must have leather seats, 4wheel drive, tow package, four doors and remote start. I could live without all the newer tech stuff but I don't want to. I am looking forward to play with the newer stuff when I trade out of my 2017 Silverado. Living Southwest Florida that remote start allows me to crank it up and get the AC working. By the time I get into the truck its nice and cool.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd like to say.....crew cab, 4wd, 8-foot bed, tow package, manual transmission, manual transfer, all the new crap "delete", an uncluttered dash without a giant console to get in my way, manual levers and knobs for climate control, and A/C only when I turn it on (i.e. separate knob or button for that). But I doubt I could find anything like this NEW anymore.

I'd also prefer a NEW Tacoma with just bare bone functionality. Lose all the added crap I don't need or want that has roll up windows, manual door locks, etc.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Gaia on iPhone hooked up to the truck with apple carplay was slick having it on the center display. Waypoints, layers, everything.

but a cap and some tires for a 1500 is hard to beat. Floor liners, seat covers, recovery gear

IMO, best option my '15 had and '19 RAM has is factory air ride. Automatically levels loads, gives you 3 manual adjustable ride heights plus a bonus low entry setting.

If you get the Limited, it will come with everything you need and lots of "nice to haves". The 23 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo is fantastic too if you like to rock out. LOL!

I forgot to mention that my '19 has the Rambox option, and I really like it as well. Definitely tighter in the bed, but the waterproof/lockable storage on the sides is really handy. I have tow straps, ratchet straps, and my hitches stored in the ram box as well as extra gloves, clothes, winter blanket, etc... Nice dry storage for essentials that don't have to be in the cab or rolling around in the bed. The short box held 3 Igloo 120s on our Sep elk hunt.

I went with the Ex-Tang 2.0 tri-fold cover, and it has been a rock star so far. Easy to install and remove in about 10 minutes.

I also bought a used MBRP muffler replacement and it provides a fantastic "just louder than factory" sound without being obnoxious. It makes me smile every time I start the truck up.

For tires, I plan to get a set of 275/70/18 General Grabber A/TX for the extra set of wheels I bought for winter/hunting. Truck came with 22s, and they look cool, but very low profile.

Last edited:
Picked up a 2017 Titan, base model, 4x4, blue tooth and that’s about it. It’s been doing just fine for me. Got a rack and roof top tent for the truck camping and it’s been life changing. I figured I wouldn’t feel as bad when I inevitably scratch it up and fill it with mud if it didn’t have all the bells and whistles.

Two upgrades I made were Billstein shocks and new speakers.

Rob5589

WKR

21 ram 1500

I have a cap on order
Decked system on order

What am I missing ?
I have a '19. I installed the Bilstein shocks that lifted the front 2", and a 1" rear block. The ride is much improved over the stock ride, which was super plush just too soft off road. The truck sits too low in stock form. Toyo AT3's, great tire for snow, rain, off road, and light mud, one size larger. Wear extremely well also. I have a Leer cap, no complaints, nice to not worry about losing gear or soaking in the rain. I sleep inside which is nice as well. For comfort, the stock speakers are kind of weak. Installed Infinity's in the front 3 locations, much improved sound wise. Ceramic window tint to help keep out the heat. I keep the basic gear for going off road; recovery, battery jumper, tire plugs, etc.

Rob5589

WKR
I'd like to say.....crew cab, 4wd, 8-foot bed, tow package, manual transmission, manual transfer, all the new crap "delete", an uncluttered dash without a giant console to get in my way, manual levers and knobs for climate control, and A/C only when I turn it on (i.e. separate knob or button for that). But I doubt I could find anything like this NEW anymore.
Just got a call from 1983, they have a truck you're looking for :LOL:

I'd also prefer a NEW Tacoma with just bare bone functionality. Lose all the added crap I don't need or want that has roll up windows, manual door locks, etc.
I got a '94 F250 that meets all your requirements. However, the AC is broken and there's no radio. Want to buy her? Its a gasser with the 460.

fmyth

WKR

21 ram 1500

I have a cap on order
Decked system on order

What am I missing ?
Order the Rebel Package or the Off Road Package. Both include a 1" lift, skid plates, 33" Duratract AT tires and an electronic locking rear diff. The Rebel includes a front bumper designed for better approach angle. I'd also get the 33 gal fuel tank, rear wheel house liners, trailer brake controller and spray in bedliner. If you plan to run tire chains w the stock wheels you'll need 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear and 1" on the front.

Rob5589

WKR
Order the Rebel Package or the Off Road Package. Both include a 1" lift, skid plates, 33" Duratract AT tires and an electronic locking rear diff. The Rebel includes a front bumper designed for better approach angle. I'd also get the 33 gal fuel tank, rear wheel house liners, trailer brake controller and spray in bedliner. If you plan to run tire chains w the stock wheels you'll need 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear and 1" on the front.
Can the Rebels not run chains on the rear in stock form?

Moserkr

WKR
Had a ‘14 ram 1500 and traded up to a 2500. Broke the ELECTRONIC power steering in the 1500 twice - $3000 (x2) fix. Punched a hole in the PLASTIC (composite) transmission case - $1200 fix. Both events were major repairs rendering the truck useless, but I popeyed steered it home without the power steering. Had to be dragged out and towed with the transmission issue - no skid plate there… what a joke. Be weary of water crossings and even small sticks in the road with the 1500!!

Dont get me wrong I loved my 1500, love the 2500 even more - i just didnt trust the 1500 off road at all. A cornstalk also threw the hemi’s belt one year but we field fixed that. The cummins got better fuel mileage with 35’s and could haul a literal ton without sagging in the rear.

1500 mods - cap, 35” duratracs, max level bilstein kit up front, rear bilstein shocks, upgraded rear dual rate springs with 1.5” lift, custom front hitch for winch, f/r winch on carrier wired and ready to go. Laramie package, was very nice. Dont buy black lol.

2500 - CTD, frame mounted rock sliders, 35” duratracs, cap, front receiver, wired for winch f/r on carrier. Has a straight axle, hydraulic power steering, and a transmission/transfer case skid plate stock…