New truck must haves

Rob5589

WKR
Had a ‘14 ram 1500 and traded up to a 2500. Broke the ELECTRONIC power steering in the 1500 twice - $3000 (x2) fix. Punched a hole in the PLASTIC (composite) transmission case - $1200 fix. Both events were major repairs rendering the truck useless, but I popeyed steered it home without the power steering. Had to be dragged out and towed with the transmission issue - no skid plate there… what a joke. Be weary of water crossings and even small sticks in the road with the 1500!!

Dont get me wrong I loved my 1500, love the 2500 even more - i just didnt trust the 1500 off road at all. A cornstalk also threw the hemi’s belt one year but we field fixed that. The cummins got better fuel mileage with 35’s and could haul a literal ton without sagging in the rear.

1500 mods - cap, 35” duratracs, max level bilstein kit up front, rear bilstein shocks, upgraded rear dual rate springs with 1.5” lift, custom front hitch for winch, f/r winch on carrier wired and ready to go. Laramie package, was very nice. Dont buy black lol.

2500 - CTD, frame mounted rock sliders, 35” duratracs, cap, front receiver, wired for winch f/r on carrier. Has a straight axle, hydraulic power steering, and a transmission/transfer case skid plate stock…
I'd agree. If you're getting more serious, skid plates and real sliders are a must.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a limited slip differential or locking diff. Open differentials are about as useful as tits on a bullfrog in a truck

Geewhiz

WKR
Tired I think I'm going with exo grappler or cooper at3.

I put the cooper at3 xlt's on my 02 f150 back in feb. So far one of my all time favorite tires. They get traction like nothing I have used previously, and I rally the crap out of that truck. Soft, but not too soft, and are holding up great so far with 11k miles mostly off highway.

Moserkr

WKR
I'd agree. If you're getting more serious, skid plates and real sliders are a must.
I dented both rails on the 1500 pretty bad. First upgrade to the 2500 was the frame mounted rock sliders from white knuckle offroad - amazingly beefy. They may make them for the 1500 too now. If OP sticks with the 1500 I would recommend finding more skid plates if going anywhere off of well maintained trails.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
We have a hunting truck 14 ram 2500 that we use for hunting. Its got the leveling kit and bigger tires with the rocker sliders and skid plates. Ordered a
Front bumper with a winch for it and it has the wheel spacers already.
This will be my daily driver, all my family lives on dirt roads and my whitetail hunting truck.

Do you guys recommend the shocks or the leveling blocks ?

Moserkr

WKR
We have a hunting truck 14 ram 2500 that we use for hunting. Its got the leveling kit and bigger tires with the rocker sliders and skid plates. Ordered a
Front bumper with a winch for it and it has the wheel spacers already.
This will be my daily driver, all my family lives on dirt roads and my whitetail hunting truck.

Do you guys recommend the shocks or the leveling blocks ?
Awesome. Definitely do not do leveling blocks if you want it to remain smooth. A 1500 daily will be nice. You getting the diesel or hemi? Another option is the air level if you order it from the factory.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Awesome. Definitely do not do leveling blocks if you want it to remain smooth. A 1500 daily will be nice. You getting the diesel or hemi? Another option is the air level if you order it from the factory.
Hemi because my truck was totalled I need a new vehicle sooner than I wanted. 21 crew cab.
bighorn

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got a '94 F250 that meets all your requirements. However, the AC is broken and there's no radio. Want to buy her? Its a gasser with the 460.
I've already got a 2001 F-350 with the 7.3L that already meets all my requirements, but it's 21 years old now. Would be nice to have a brand new one with the same specs. Same for my 33 year old Toyota......it's an SR5 model but still has rollup windows and manual door locks. But a new one with similar specs would be awfully nice. I don't need camera's, or radar systems, or navigation, etc, etc. Heck, I don't even need a radio......LOL.

WCB

WKR
#1 Floor liners. I always had the molded ones that fit in each seat spot but my new Silverado has the complete floor models that cover 100% of the floor...best thing ever for the truck. Good seat covers if you don't get leather.

I stepped back from a fully loaded Silverado LTZ to a mid equiped LT (no leather, no electric folding mirrors and few other things) Don't really notice they aren't there any more and IMO are a waste of money.

Also good fender protectors or just get your rocker panels and wheel wells rhino lined.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
heres my pro tip. Put a front receiver on it , and wire the front and rear with quick connects for 12volt. I have my winch mounted in a nice carrier with handles and tow hooks and 2 led spot lights on each end . I can put it in front or rear in less than a minute , cuz you never know which end you need to winch from. ITs handy like you wont believe , getting un stuck, winching others out , trees , getting game out or up in a tree to clean . Plus you have work lights . Champion!!!

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
heres my pro tip. Put a front receiver on it , and wire the front and rear with quick connects for 12volt. I have my winch mounted in a nice carrier with handles and tow hooks and 2 led spot lights on each end . I can put it in front or rear in less than a minute , cuz you never know which end you need to winch from. ITs handy like you wont believe , getting un stuck, winching others out , trees , getting game out or up in a tree to clean . Plus you have work lights . Champion!!!
Post up some pics

slvrslngr

WKR
Replacing my totaled truck

21 ram 1500

I have a cap on order
Decked system on order
Tired I think I'm going with exo grappler or cooper at3.
Driving is 50/50 gravel mud and highway

What am I missing ?
A Toyota badge on the grill... :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

fmyth

WKR
Can the Rebels not run chains on the rear in stock form?
I tried. Chains almost touch the bake line on the rear. In the front the chains touch the upper ball joint. I tried a 1" spacer on the rear but still didn't have an 1" of clearance between the chain and the brake line. Moved the 1" to the front and gained enough for my comfort then installed 1.5"s on the rear. 1.5"s on the front caused the front tires to rub on the rear of the fender at full lock and with chains was a no go. Settled on 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. The only downside is that at 1.5" on the rear you do sling more mud and throw more rocks past the fender flares/mud flaps.

fmyth

WKR
I dented both rails on the 1500 pretty bad. First upgrade to the 2500 was the frame mounted rock sliders from white knuckle offroad - amazingly beefy. They may make them for the 1500 too now. If OP sticks with the 1500 I would recommend finding more skid plates if going anywhere off of well maintained trails.
Bummed that they won't make a set for 1500s with the 33 gal gas tank.

Rob5589

WKR
I tried. Chains almost touch the bake line on the rear. In the front the chains touch the upper ball joint. I tried a 1" spacer on the rear but still didn't have an 1" of clearance between the chain and the brake line. Moved the 1" to the front and gained enough for my comfort then installed 1.5"s on the rear. 1.5"s on the front caused the front tires to rub on the rear of the fender at full lock and with chains was a no go. Settled on 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. The only downside is that at 1.5" on the rear you do sling more mud and throw more rocks past the fender flares/mud flaps.
Odd. I can run them on stock wheels and the same size tire as the Rebel. The fronts are the same; no-go unless I were to use a spacer.
Bummed that they won't make a set for 1500s with the 33 gal gas tank.
I read on one of the forums that they were in the process of building a prototype for the 33 gal tank. But that was a while ago.

fmyth

WKR
Odd. I can run them on stock wheels and the same size tire as the Rebel. The fronts are the same; no-go unless I were to use a spacer.

I read on one of the forums that they were in the process of building a prototype for the 33 gal tank. But that was a while ago.
Thanks I'll check in with them again.