New truck prices

fatlander

WKR
They’re never going to show you their true cost, and no matter what they say about employee pricing, they’re still going to take care of someone that works for them better than a guy off the street. You would do the same at your business. However, I will say, they don’t make their money selling cars. They make their money working on cars. There is way less margin on cars than what most people think.

Some vehicles you can get more off than others. There is wiggle room for most American vehicles. If you show up and try to low ball a Tacoma or a 4Runner, they’re going to just going to smile and tell you to have a nice day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rook-

FNG
Your in a bit of a double bind, prices are considerably off of what they were 1-2yrs ago and your on a shorter time frame and need a replacement.
Used prices are nuts and you'll have to find an overlooked one to get any semblance of a good deal.
New means getting your research in and knowing exactly what trim package and options you need and what factory incentives are. Find the sweet spot with what you can live with without 5-15K of fluff features. Then find the volume dealers and work the deals through email. You may even come out ahead on a fly and drive. Truck specific forums often have good threads on pricing and what dealers are doing.

I'm glad I bought last fall. 19F150 STX Crew 4x4with the 3.5 and max tow. Worked a few dealers and had extra PCO from Ford. I was over 15K off on a 47K truck. Not loaded but had power train I was after. Same trucks this year are averaging 3-6k more this year.

Do your research, and buy smart

Just took a quick look and dealers currently have HUGE discounts on New 2020 Titan PRO-4Xs. Routinely seeing more than $10k below MSRP advertised. That’s great as the 2020 model was a big refresh with upgrade in power and standard features, including a 5yr/100k bumper-to-bumper warranty. If I was in the market, would certainly be following up on this one.

They’re never going to show you their true cost, and no matter what they say about employee pricing, they’re still going to take care of someone that works for them better than a guy off the street. You would do the same at your business. However, I will say, they don’t make their money selling cars. They make their money working on cars. There is way less margin on cars than what most people think.

Some vehicles you can get more off than others. There is wiggle room for most American vehicles. If you show up and try to low ball a Tacoma or a 4Runner, they’re going to just going to smile and tell you to have a nice day.

That’s generally correct. There is certainly more money for the dealership in service than sales. The sale after the sale is also a huge money maker. Extended warranties, dealer installed accessories, pre-paid maintenance and detailing, loans and financing are all high pressure money-makers. It pays to be prepared.

To your point - a guy can ALWAYS get a better deal on an undervalued Diamond in the Ruff like the Titan as compared to a Tacoma or 4Runner. That’s because most guys don’t go past their first google search and zero in on what the marketing folks steer them toward.

What’s crazy is folks buying a loaded mid-sized Tacoma TRD-PRO V-6, when they can buy a loaded full-sized Titan PRO-4X for about the same price, and for less than the 4 Runner. Most just aren‘t aware that they can. In addition, the Titan will blow away the Tacoma or 4-runner in feature content. My Titan lasted over 14 years and the only things ever replaced were battery, wipers, tires, brakes and exhaust - all expected wear and tear. So, I bought another, and am still stunned about the fantastic deal on this much truck.

Get a Honda Fit and a marine cooler. Learn to quarter and pack out your big game. You’ll save 1,000s and can one day pay cash for a truck that you will be able to negotiate heavily.
I’m super conservative right now, the commercial real estate market may crash hard and the rental market too. Who knows when but it will come. Ever seen or read ‘The Big Short?’ I’m putting my money on greedy people during a pandemic crashing it all next year. Then lots of trucks will be cheap as people will have to sell off there stuff. Gas prices may rise to with a new administration which would equal lower truck prices (and higher demand and prices for that civic you boug hit ;) )

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Well I pulled the trigger on a 2021 Toyota 4Runner. I got a really good deal, and the Nissan dealers here in the Denver area are just downright sleazy. We went to one of the big dealers here and they were downright insulting with their tactics. The guy “went back to see talk to the manager to see what they could do” only to come back with with different monthly payment numbers and no change to the negotiated vehicle price. I was dealing via email with another Nissan dealer in the area, and told them what number I had in mind, and the guy replied back “where did you get that number?” These dealers had no traffic, and the one guy told me they hadn’t sold a vehicle today. Whereas the Toyota place was bustling with people, and the number they quoted us was not far off the number I had in mind and thought I was going to have to haggle to. All in all, the buying experience with the Toyota dealer was what helped me make up my mind. I like that the 4Runner is vaguely familiar to the feel and capability of the Xterra this vehicle is replacing. I feel like, knock on wood, his will give me a decade or more of troublefree driving and a lot of hunting and outdoor adventures for me and my family.

I almost always find my best deals at auto trader.
I'm almost always looking for something specific though.
But since you want base use the advanced search to narrow down.
Don't be afraid to fly to get what you want to.
Most times now you can have the deal all set up via email. And have the financials in place.
Get of the plane and drive home.

Or al least leverage that price against your local dealer.
In 2015 I bought a new economy care and a 13 hr round trip drive saved me $2500
Well I can't make $2500 in 13 hrs and the deal went off great.

Just for storytelling purposes....

I wanted a new truck last year but didn’t push the deal. 2020 kicks off with the start of a pandemic. I was concerned about my business but we quickly noticed a bump instead of a dip. The bump became a climb and I was surprised how strongly we performed while other businesses were struggling. I finally found time to look for a truck. The pandemic was beginning to rage and the vehicle economy was at a standstill.....lots loaded everywhere. I tried to negotiate with 2 Ford dealerships and basically got nothing. One of them worked really hard to alienate me and I basically wrote off the brand.

Meanwhile I discovered a GM dealership sitting on several new 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali trucks with Duramax engines. They were showing about $12,000 off msrp and with some dealing I was able to buy one for what I expected to pay for a lesser model. And within about 6 weeks the lots were beginning to thin out as pent-up demand hit. I nailed it just right....luckily.

Remarkably I did almost the same thing on a new Harley in September. I didn’t get a huge discount but I did get a fantastic trade-in due to used bike prices being strong. I really had no need to buy a new one, as our 2017 was in pristine shape....but the offer was too good. Now the same dealer (and others) tell me that new bikes are going out at msrp in almost every case. Used bikes are selling at premium prices. Lucky again.

Happy to hear that you found a good deal on a new rig, the 4runner is a great vehicle.

I was looking to sell my 2009 Tacoma in late summer this year and upgrade to a full size truck. I wasn't loyal to any brand but I was very happy with Toyota since my Tacoma was the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, it just kept taking the abuse. My wife also drives a Highlander and that has been just as dependable.

I searched and searched, using all the different car buying websites. I found TruCar to be an absolute pleasure. I put in the vehicle make, model, and options that I wanted. They send out that information to dealers and the dealers come back with their price. The prices varied greatly and some seemed too good to be true. I decided to check on one and drove an hour to the dealership. They confirmed that the price listed is the price I would pay. It was almost $7,000 lower than the sticker price. On top of that I was able to negotiate a $10,000 trade in for my Tacoma which had 170,000 miles and was in fair shape. I got my own loan at a great rate and walked out with a 2020 Tundra SR5 Crewmax for a great price. I'm sure that they sold my Tacoma shortly after and probably made $2K but I was very happy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk