New Truck?

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I am a cummins fan for life. I bought my 06 for 34,500, and drove it until around 130K on the clock. I finally earned a company truck at work, and the cummins just set in my driveway. I never drove it, so i sold it for 28,500. Not to bad in my opinion! The truck never failed me once. It was as solid as a rock the day I sold it. I never had any front end issue's everyone associates with dodges. With four inches of lift and 35's under it, I still pulled 17 mpg, and could get 19-20 if I got on flatland, kept my foot out of it, and had the tuning set for fuel economy. It would rip the balls off of a buffalo and the the gates of hell off the hinges. My brother could tear up an anvil with a banna peal, and has had good luck with dodge/cummins. I wouldn't even consider a ford powerstroke of any kind. I have done my fair share of working on my friends strokers. I now drive my F-150 company truck, and it's not a bad truck, but the fact that it is free and I haven't payed for gas for over a year makes it a little bit better. I average 17 mpg with it here in WV, but when I was in TX with it two weeks ago I got 20-21. It has the 5.0 engine and 3:55 rears. If your not against a diesel, I would look at a cummins, they are by far the most reliable engine you will get. When I buy another personal truck it will be a dodge/cummins. I like the Tundra's, but I am addicted to the diesel power.

boom

WKR
taco.jpgi love my 2006 tacoma. it is fantastic and reliable. it is still running the OEM battery! i sleep in the back, prior to strapping on a backpack and heading out. a nice fat pad and a cheap sleeping bag is all i need.

i dont tow much except a small hunting trailer. it is 4x4 and super maneuverable. a big half ton truck is more difficult to get into some spots.

if it had a downside, it would also be it's size. two hunters and gear for a truck camping trip can be tough to fit. especially my gear happy friends.

i leave it dirty all hunting season on. i just drove to Socal this past weekend. during a traffic jam, i got 24.4 mpg. on the highway, i ave 21mpg.

2011 Tacoma Access cab, Long bed(6' bed) 3" lift, 285/70r17, I recently had a TRD supercharger installed. still averaging 17-20 mpg.

Love the new power the supercharger added but it was a chunk of change. Still have doug thorley long tube headers that are sitting in my garage that need to be installed. It will help out HP wise once I get the cats out and a full exhaust system put into it from the block back.

Since this picture I have also added a Leer topper that I picked up off of craigs list and have found it a very comfortable place to stay. Just pull over whenever you find camp and sleep.

I have had a 2007 Dodge Power Wagon and a Chevy 3/4 6.0 gasser. I am happy with the "All Beef" taco so far.

Last edited:

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into a 2013 f150 stx 4x4 with the 5.0. From what I've seen, it gets about the same mileage in the real world as the ecoboost and had plenty of power. Fords nowadays seem really expensive for Msrp, but they offer huge discounts. In my area you can even get them14,000 off the sticker price. Especially with 2014 coming up. The tacoma is a good rig, just not much room in the interior, in my dad's anyways. Nowadays I would just get what you like and drive it until it dies.

boom

WKR
2011 Tacoma Access cab, Long bed(6' bed) 3" lift, 285/70r17, I recently had a TRD supercharger installed. still averaging 17-20 mpg.

Love the new power the supercharger added but it was a chunk of change. Still have doug thorley long tube headers that are sitting in my garage that need to be installed. It will help out HP wise once I get the cats out and a full exhaust system put into it from the block back.

Since this picture I have also added a Leer topper that I picked up off of craigs list and have found it a very comfortable place to stay. Just pull over whenever you find camp and sleep.

I have had a 2007 Dodge Power Wagon and a Chevy 3/4 6.0 gasser. I am happy with the "All Beef" taco so far.

What wheels are those? And you can sill get 20mpg rolling on 285's?

Nice truck. I'll only move up to 265/75's.

Eagle

WKR
This subject makes me sad. I just sold my 09 taco access cab trd off road. It only had 49000 on it, but with my daughter being born two weeks ago, I had to do something because I couldn't get a rear facing child seat safely in the back of it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with, and might just be going with a sedan since the wife's ride is a 13 Cherokee 4X4 and I can use it when I go hunting. I was planning on a 02-04 taco double cab, but they are insanely high.

Edit to add I averaged 21 mpg for the life of my truck. Recorded every fill-up, I'm an engineer.

boom

WKR
This subject makes me sad. I just sold my 09 taco access cab trd off road. It only had 49000 on it, but with my daughter being born two weeks ago, I had to do something because I couldn't get a rear facing child seat safely in the back of it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with, and might just be going with a sedan since the wife's ride is a 13 Cherokee 4X4 and I can use it when I go hunting. I was planning on a 02-04 taco double cab, but they are insanely high.

Edit to add I averaged 21 mpg for the life of my truck. Recorded every fill-up, I'm an engineer.

i'm an engineer as well. funny. i have also tracked every single fill up. haha.

why not a 4dr tacoma? i dont have kids and kinda wish i had the 4dr. but i like the short bed look, but love the long bed capacity.

Eagle

WKR
i'm an engineer as well. funny. i have also tracked every single fill up. haha.

why not a 4dr tacoma? i dont have kids and kinda wish i had the 4dr. but i like the short bed look, but love the long bed capacity.

I was kicking myself for not buying the 4 dr from the start, just assumed they wouldn't make a vehicle with an extended cab that you couldn't safely put a car seat in, you know what they say about assuming.

If I could find a "reasonably" priced 4dr taco, I'd buy it, but reasonably priced and tacoma are rare if not non existant. What's nuts is 4 runners from the same period are actually reasonable. Considering they have the same drivetrain, I'm leaning that direction if I buy another toyota.

Wrongside

WKR
@boom

i can get twenty in it with the 285's but it is hard for me to stay outta the new boost.

Haha! I have a similar problem with my '02 Cummins 6 speed. I 'can' get mid 20s, but in reality rarely do, and it's almost always my fault... :)

Hardstalk

WKR
Haha! I have a similar problem with my '02 Cummins 6 speed. I 'can' get mid 20s, but in reality rarely do, and it's almost always my fault... :)

Just got a 6 speed with the pulse programmer 4" straight piped. I averaged about 14-15 hand canceld in the hills. What a blast rolling around dirt roads on level 6 in 4 wheel when the boost kicks in! I also passed a high centered jeep and a toyota up the the rockers in mud. I was giddy like a kid. Theres something to be said for torque when your wheelin.

I probably wouldnt have passed them if I wasnt carrying the highlift, 2 spares, a crane strap, 2 ratchet straps and a come along but I felt rather confident.

I'm a Dodge Ram fan...my '99 has over 145K and still doesn't leak oil. Never let's me down. With a Bedrg and Kodiak Canvas tent...I'm very happy with it.
URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/IMGP4287_zps21a8a362.jpg.html]
IMGP4287_zps21a8a362.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/camera010_zpsb0b1a504.jpg.html]
camera010_zpsb0b1a504.jpg
[/URL]

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking as well. But then I heard about Dodge coming out with a v6 turbo diesel http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/ Apparently they are talking upper 20's for mpg, but nothing has been released yet according to the dealer my dad talked to. Sounds like they are coming out in November. I think I'll hold off for a year and see how they do. My 06 Tundra has been great, no need to get rid of it yet.

Ironman8

WKR
I've been looking as well. But then I heard about Dodge coming out with a v6 turbo diesel http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/ Apparently they are talking upper 20's for mpg, but nothing has been released yet according to the dealer my dad talked to. Sounds like they are coming out in November. I think I'll hold off for a year and see how they do. My 06 Tundra has been great, no need to get rid of it yet.

I was looking at that one too, but not sure if it's available in 4x4?

Also, I believe it will get higher mpg than that...possibly mid-20's

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Eagle, I had an 04 4 door Tacoma. The rear facing child seats fit, but just barely. It was a little tighter than I liked so I ended up getting an 07 Tundra. I really like the Tundra, but every time I get into the mountain backroads I wish I still had that Taco.

PhillyB

WKR
12 valve vs 7.3 is a debate for the ages.

This is no debate... I have owned both. There will never be a better running, more reliable truck than the 95-98.5 12 valves.

I had a 500hp 12v that got 22 mpg on the hwy. If I could trade my 4 door 7.3 for a 12v, I would do it in a heartbeat

Roy68

WKR
For the record, I run a 92 D250 12v 5.9 older Banks turbo, tuned, Dana 70 Posi, with Limited Slip Dana 60 up front, Heavy Clutch connected to a 5 speed turning a NP205, Smokes like a coal train building 27" boost, turns like a blue bird bus when all four are turning, Rides like a lumber wagon (wife has to wear a sports bra when she rides in it:), Homemade bumpers with a 12K winch, consistently gets 20mpg. Heaviest load to date was 31,000#, moving a tractor 120 miles (avg 16mpg), Hauls cattle, Elk, & deer just fine.

However I found the below Jeep for sale on Craiglist in Enid (they pulled the listling already, but I managed to copy the text) If you are looking for a jeep, call this guy.

1997 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
220K Miles
4.0 L in-line 6
4WD
AUTOMATIC Transmission
Bright Red
Straight Stock
Crank Windows, no cruise, no tilt, no delay wiper, no nonsense
POWER MIRRORS! Woo Hoo!

$1750

Here's the deal, kids:
This is a Jeep Cherokee. This is not a luxury SUV, or a maintenance-free disposable import. It has solid front axles, wind noise, and character.
It's a Jeep. It rides like a Jeep. It drives like a Jeep. All of these are GOOD things.
It is not new, it is not pristine, it is used. This will be apparent in the pictures.

If you do not own a toolbox, have never changed your own oil, and are scared of firearms: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you have been posting on facebook all about how excited you are for pumpkin latte season: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you get offended easy and often, whine to your co-workers, and bitch a lot: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you feel you are owed anything in the world & have a bullshit job where you fail to produce: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you consider the 2nd Amendment an anachronistic relic and have never owned a firearm: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.

If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid shit: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.
Do you laugh at danger, and tempt fate?
Have you ever uttered the words, "Hold my beer and watch this ..."?
While bored at work do you pick targets at random and think, "I could hit that from here with the .22 ..."?
Have any of your friends quit hanging out because you were too much fun?
Do you have the number of a friend with cash memorized for bail?
When you pass an abandoned flatbed farm truck along a fenceline do you consider taking on another project?
Is your ol' lady really sick of the random piles of parts, greasy footprints, and empty beer bottles in the garage?
-could you not care less?
Do you have Jalopnik saved on your laptop AND smartphone?
Do you own a service manual for every vehicle you ever owned?
Do you still miss your first ride?
Can you carry on a two hour conversation discussing tools, scars, and hi-lift jacks?
Remember when tool companies had the balls to put half-naked beauty queens on their calendars?
Do you consider the Prius an abominable affront to the Gods of displacement, torque, and All Mighty Internal Combustion?

If you answered in the affirmative to the preceding: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.

DETAILS:
-I am the second owner. First owner barely got it dirty and engaged the front axles once.
-I have remedied this excessive caretaking with muddy roads and a pile of fun.
-The motor uses a little oil. How much? I don't know, I'm not collecting statistical analysis points.
I check the oil, I fill the oil, I drive. Not enough to bother me.
-It leaks a little oil. How much? Not enough for me to care. It has 220,000 miles, Poindexter!
If you have a vehicle with 220K NOT leaking or burning oil, it's empty!
-Rear bumper has a big-ass crease in it. I dented it backing into a concrete pole. Sober.
We drove away giggling, for the record. Haven't fixed it.
-Driver's side door was caught by the wind, whipped forward, got into the LF quarter panel.
-Radiator has a small leak. Pinhole. I can replace the radiator or you can. Really doesn't matter
A new radiator and hoses will run $145. If you don't want to replace them I will.
Add $250 to the price of vehicle. This includes radiator, hoses, and labor (beer). A freaking bargain.
-The badass little 4.0L bullet-proof in-line six starts and runs like the proverbial champ.
-Tranny and 4WD operate perfectly
-Tires will need replaced in a couple thousand miles. I haven't upgraded because I had plans:
Had planned a small lift, upgrade to 17" Wrangler wheels, and more aggressive tires.
Life got in the way - it ain't happening.
-Zombie stickers on the right rear window stay. My daughter's idea, take it up with her.
-Flogging Molly sticker stays as well. They kick ass, so there.

QUESTIONS:
-Why are you selling?
I can't justify owning it anymore. Motorsickles, kiddos, work, travel, and beer have consumed my time and money.
Someone else needs to appreciate the Jeep for what it is: awesome mechanical artistry.

-What's wrong with it?
Radiator. Small oil leaks. Driver's side door cosmetic issues.
And it's pissed it has been neglected and parked. It needs rescued.

-Does the 4WD work?
Hell yes. Like a Dickensian Orphan.

-Will you sell me the [engine / tranny / rear door / axle / etc.]?
No. I'm not in the salvage business. Buy the Jeep. Love the Jeep. Give the Jeep a home.

-Will you take [insert ridiculously stupid low number here]?
No. If I wanted [ridiculously low number] I would have asked [ridiculously low number]
Want a cheap car? Get your kid that lowered tuner piece of shit honda project down the road.
I think I'm plenty cheap for this bad mofo.

-Why is it still stock?
Because I bought it for a daily driver with the intention of turning it into a project.
I haven't had the time to do so. So I am selling it.

-Can I put a 6" lift and giant tires on it?
I don't give a shit. But be sure to use quality components and for God's sake - get it aligned after a lift!

-Would this make a good car for my daughter?
Hell. Yes. Not only a good car, a learning experience. Introduction to vehicular maintenance.
Additionally, there isn't really enough room in the back for that little bastard she's dating to try anything.

-Can you deliver?
Within reason. I'd drive it a hundred miles or so. But really, you should come get it. Look it over. Have a beer. Etc.

-Will you take a check / cashier's check / Western Union Transfer / Nigerian Promissory Note?
Would you take a ball pein hammer to the forehead?
No. I'll take Cash. Period. Bring cash or don't show.

-Will you ship to -?
No. See above.

-No, really, all I have is [lowball dollar amount]?
That's great, I don't give a shit. Unicef ain't running this deal, and until they do I want $1750.
Why? Because I don't HAVE to sell this little beauty. Truth be known, I'd rather keep it.
But if it's going to a good home - I will sell. Unless you're an asshole - then no sale.

-Why are you such a dick?
Everything is relative; you should see my friends.

Any other questions, feel free to reply to this email and ask.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse all typos, grammatical errors, and my just generally sounding dumb. No really, it's the phones fault.