New truck?

Looking at buying a truck early next year.

Really like my Toyota's, but the Tundra is laughably behind the rest of the industry tech wise. I understand it's going to be reliable and I certainly appreciate that, but for the $ it had better at the very least have heated seats (2019 TRD Pro does not).

I've been looking quite a bit at the Ram Rebel-every creature comfort you could imagine, a 5.7L Hemi with steel springs all the way around- should be nice and reliable as well + having everything a person could want.

I won't tow much outside of a duck boat eventually, going to be my hunting truck and every-day driver (only about a 15-20 minute drive to work).

Never owned a Ram-those who have what do you like/dislike about the newer Ram's?

Mmcan

WKR
I’ve been very happy w my 2013 F150 FX4 (120k miles) and plan to make it a “ranch truck” when I get enough saved for a new truck. I’m looking at the new Ford “Tremor” coming out in 2020. It’s pretty much under the radar as far as I can tell. You might take a look at it if you don’t like the Dodge options.

Can I ask why you want a TRD Pro?
They are made more for offroad and so they lose some of the features you will have in the platinum etc. it really isn’t it’s top model.
The limited I believe and definitely the platinum come with heated and cooled seats. They really aren’t behind at all. The Pro really is a waste of money really as you lose towing and hauling capability and get some very overpriced Fox or Bilstein “TRD tuned” shocks/coil overs. Honestly could get a used Platinum and bug aftermarket king or fox couplers and shocks and still be below a Pro, have same off-road capability, and don’t lose tow/haul capabilities. That’s honestly what I’m doing next if I decide to upgrade my current Tundra (honestly don’t find the need) and it’s a regular TRD Off-road with cloth seats. Lol. They also maintain their resale value better then any of the main 3.

Edit: compared models and I actually think they fixed the towing and load capacity of the Pro models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don't know anything about the Ram, but I can second the F150. I've had mine for 5 years and have no complaints.

87TT

WKR
I have a 1999 F150 4wd that I picked up for $5000 last year and it runs great. 5.4 V8 and only 156K miles.

It’s all about priorities. If you want something that is THE most reliable half-ton with the best resale value, get a Tundra 5.7.

If you want the latest and greatest engine tech, get something else. That said, I’ve had family with multiple Dodge and Ford pickups that claim great MPG. They’ve all told me they get 15-16 MPG. My dash readout on my 2010 Tundra 5.7 is 15.2 MPG.

As mentioned before, at the top trim levels, things are mostly the same. One thing the crew cab Tundra have that nobody else does and that I absolutely love is the full sliding rear window.

I just traded in my 14 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi for a 1794 Tundra. I loved my Ram, I had the Big Horn package, so it had the nice touch screen, heated seat/steering wheel etc. I had 112K miles on it when I traded it, I had no intention of trading it in but it had a P303 code (Cylinder 3 Misfire). I replaced the plugs, coil packs, did a vacuum test etc trying to diagnose the problem. After a ton of research I came to the conclusion that the needle bearings on the lifter seized which resulted in a wiped cam lobe. There's a lot of other people out there that had this same problem, I didn't feel like spending $4-5K on an engine rebuild so I went with what I believe is probably one of the more reliable trucks out there. You are spot on saying Toyota is laughably behind everyone else as far as tech, that's part of the reason I wanted to go with the 1794 package, it had all of the features that I was looking for.

bat-cave

WKR
I had 160K on my 2013 F150 FX4 before selling it to my son. Great truck! I'm driving a 2019 Raptor now and loving it. Surprisingly getting ~19 mpg in the hills in CO and awesome offroad (for what i do). Unless you need heavy towing ... the Ecoboost is a great engine.

tntrker

WKR
I have 43,000 miles on my 2016 Rebel and still love it. I had to add the "pedal Commander" to it for it to reach 17-18 MPG. Towing a 26ft travel trailer I get 10-11 MPG but never know it's back there. Overall would like more MPG but LOVE my truck.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
If I were buying a half ton right now it would be a Ford or Ram. The Rebel is a pretty sweet package. I like the ford put an E-locker on dang near everything, from XL to Platinum models. My 3.5 ecoboost is a towing machine, the 2.7 ecoboost at my office is surprisingly sporty and get a solid 22mpg on the highway (24 on multiple trips).

Our fleet of 5.3 GM trucks is just meh, the performance is lacking the off-road approach and departure angles are questionable, and the mpgs are ok.

I've put 35k on my work tundra, it's not a bad truck but the wind noise is surprising, the fuels mileage is typically 14.4-15 driving 95% highway and 5% mine roads.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Can I ask why you want a TRD Pro?
They are made more for offroad and so they lose some of the features you will have in the platinum etc. it really isn’t it’s top model.
The limited I believe and definitely the platinum come with heated and cooled seats. They really aren’t behind at all. The Pro really is a waste of money really as you lose towing and hauling capability and get some very overpriced Fox or Bilstein “TRD tuned” shocks/coil overs. Honestly could get a used Platinum and bug aftermarket king or fox couplers and shocks and still be below a Pro, have same off-road capability, and don’t lose tow/haul capabilities. That’s honestly what I’m doing next if I decide to upgrade my current Tundra (honestly don’t find the need) and it’s a regular TRD Off-road with cloth seats. Lol. They also maintain their resale value better then any of the main 3.

Edit: compared models and I actually think they fixed the towing and load capacity of the Pro models.

Didn't realize the platinum's had heated and ventilated seats, definitely jumping back on my list!

Didn't realize the platinum's had heated and ventilated seats, definitely jumping back on my list!

Lol. Right along with every other feature available. I’d look for a 2018 or 19 also. Will save you SOME money, like I said they hold their value.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Lol. Right along with every other feature available. I’d look for a 2018 or 19 also. Will save you SOME money, like I said they hold their value.

I could go back as far as the 14's if the price is right. really want 50k miles or under so just going to depend on the deal I can find I suppose.

Problem w/the Tundra's is the damn price is outrageous- I can get a new Rebel for the cost of a 3 year old Tundra. I get that resale is awesome on them, but I'm going to have it for 10+ years and it won't hardly be worth anything at that point anyway, it isn't a diesel

I could go back as far as the 14's if the price is right. really want 50k miles or under so just going to depend on the deal I can find I suppose.

Problem w/the Tundra's is the damn price is outrageous- I can get a new Rebel for the cost of a 3 year old Tundra. I get that resale is awesome on them, but I'm going to have it for 10+ years and it won't hardly be worth anything at that point anyway, it isn't a diesel

I could probably sale my 2011 TRD Off-road for around $20k if I wanted to. If your keeping it for 10 years do you want something that has a better chance of lasting that whole 10 years or something that increases chance of dumping money into over that 10 years. Especially after warranty.

Where are you located?

archp625

WKR
I was in your same boat 2 months ago. I had a reliable 2007 Tundra with 168,000. I was ready for something new and for the price of the Tundra, to me it was lacking as well. Plus the price you pay for a Tundra you can get a way nicer truck for the same price. I ended up with a 2019 Ram Bighorn with the level 2 package and wheel package. It is night and day nicer than any truck I test drove for the same price. I get 21 MPG on the highway with the 5.7 non eTorque motor. I have 7700 miles on it so far. We shall see on the reliability.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
My brother, dad, and myself all really like our F150 3.5EB trucks (2011, 2018, 2013, respectively) and my cousin has a 5.0 he likes. He said on mostly highway trips he will get 24-26mpg with the 5.0.

My dad gets 22-23 in his 3.5EB going 80 on the interstate.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better riding pickup too.

Ive been real happy with my Ram 1500. I bought it new at the end of 2015 and have something like 130k on it so far. I just had to put a new radiator and water pump in about the 120k mark. Other than that its just been regular maintanence. I pull a few times a month but nothing crazy heavy. The most I have towed was my 12' dump trailer with 3 tons of gravel in it. You could feel it back there and the front end felt like it was drifting but I wasnt going that far. Last week on a trip to Sacramento and back home I was averaging a little over 17 while doing 75. In town I'm around 14.5 or maybe 15. I think the Ram is worth taking a look at.

manitou1

WKR
Love my 2015 Ram I bought new. Drove Toyotas for 30 yrs. Gave Ram a try and have been very satisfied. My 1500 5.7 gets about 18.5 combined. I can get 21 hwy if careful. 9-13 towing campers. My next truck will be a Ram... but the 2500. Momma bought a camper!

Rob5589

WKR
I have a '19 Ram Laramie. I wanted/needed a 4x4, crew cab, 6 foot bed. Toyota was way too proud in their pricing. New Silverado is what I wanted, to replace my 03 Silverado, but they weren't willing to budge on price. The new F150 was alright buy didn't appeal to me all that much.

In the end the Ram won out, especially price wise. MSRP was 51 and I paid 36; has leather, driver and pass power seats, heated and cooled seats, off road package with e-locker, skid plates, small lift, tow hooks, 8.4 inch touch screen, Alpine stereo, memory seat positions, and some other stuff as well. Has the hemi with 8 spd, gets an ave of 19 combined driving. Rides like a car compared to my 03 Silverado.

So far (4500 miles) there is nothing I don't like about it.