New truck?

tdhanses

WKR
I just got a 19 SuperDuty with the 6.2 gas in Lariat trim, put 2200 miles on it going hunting in the 2 weeks I’ve owned it. I really like it but mpg is similar to the Tundra so if you don’t tow I’d go 1/2ton. Ride is pretty good for a 3/4ton.

Pickup prices are ridiculous. If I could get a new truck with power nothing, no touch screen or heated seats, no tech whatsoever just a plain truck for less than $20k I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Until that happens I’ll keep driving my 2010 F150. Only have 90,000 miles on it. It’s a quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 and I get 19 mpg at 75 mph. About 16 mpg at 55mph or less. I’ve hauled way more than I should with it. Tractors, skid steers, large loads of rock, drywall, 25 sheets of 5/8 osb in the bed and never a problem. I can’t see spending what I paid for my first house on a pickup.

isu22andy

WKR
Save thousands by letting someone else drive it off the lot for 30,000 miles and buy used. Last 3 work trucks Ive put 80,000 on every single one and never been even close to stranded.

Do some of you guys live in your trucks?4 years and 130k miles, jeez. Heated seats? For the 5 minutes that it's useful (if you're a woman in a mini skirt)? Really?

I put 100k on a 2013 ram in 2 years and never had it more than 150 miles from home. . . Had a sales territory that I crisscrossed everyday!

That being said I love the Rams. I haven't upgraded but 2 people at work have 2019's with the 12 inch touch screens, air suspension, and all the bells and whistles and love them. For the price you won't beat the features/ability combo of a Ram. I've had no problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff

I’m over the Tundra hype - resale is better because you pay more... and live at the gas station with your 300 mile tank until you get wise and dump it. I’d go Chevy/GMC and talk to a few dealers to stoke the fire (like Dave Smith in Idaho). I’ve driven dozens of pickups in the lower 48 and convinced I own the best pickup available - and the Tundra is a distant third or maybe fourth place.

I have a 2005 Chevy 4*4 with 160,000 that I bought new. It was pretty much loaded when I bought it. At the time I think I walked out with it for around $30,000. Truck has been great and it has seen its share of rough roads. 14.5 in city/17mpg highway. Can’t say enough about the truck except I should have gotten the regular bed instead of the short bed.
I dont care about looks anymore or fancy stuff. Just get me to point A to B every time with decent gas mileage and I could care less with what it looks like

16Bore

WKR
Good grief...I miss the old work trucks. Vinyl bench seat, vinyl floor, 5 speed (that means you actually shift it yourself) “radio” and maybe A/C.

Man trucks.

But I get it. The flat brim Creedmoor brigade needs an extra cup holder for their politically conscience Yeti full of coffee with enough head room for their man bun and a big rear window for all the stickers.

😂

Mulyhuntr

WKR
My brother, dad, and myself all really like our F150 3.5EB trucks (2011, 2018, 2013, respectively) and my cousin has a 5.0 he likes. He said on mostly highway trips he will get 24-26mpg with the 5.0.

My dad gets 22-23 in his 3.5EB going 80 on the interstate.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better riding pickup too.

No way either of them get anywhere close to those mpg’s.

Rob5589

WKR
Do some of you guys live in your trucks?4 years and 130k miles, jeez. Heated seats? For the 5 minutes that it's useful (if you're a woman in a mini skirt)? Really?
Seems that way. My 03 Silverado was purchased new with 21 miles and retired to recreational and work duty in 08. Sold it almost 2 months ago at 187k miles. In 08 I bought a new Honda Fit to commute in. She died about a year ago with 376k. So as much time as my ass and back spend in a vehicle seat, heaters and coolers are very much appreciated 😁

Good grief...I miss the old work trucks. Vinyl bench seat, vinyl floor, 5 speed (that means you actually shift it yourself) “radio” and maybe A/C.

Man trucks.

But I get it. The flat brim Creedmoor brigade needs an extra cup holder for their politically conscience Yeti full of coffee with enough head room for their man bun and a big rear window for all the stickers.

😂
I wish the'd bring these back. The problem with pickups today is 75% of owners don't use them for work. It's just something that they drive. A Prius would do the same thing. I would bet that most pickup owners in 2019 don't have a scratch in their bed, and they want all the new gizmos and gadgets and that's what jacks up the price. Give me a plain Jane work truck that gets me from A to B and can haul anything I ask it to and I don't need anything else. I'll replace the motor in my current truck before laying down a year's salary on a new truck.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a 19 SuperDuty with the 6.2 gas in Lariat trim, put 2200 miles on it going hunting in the 2 weeks I’ve owned it. I really like it but mpg is similar to the Tundra so if you don’t tow I’d go 1/2ton. Ride is pretty good for a 3/4ton.

Pretty much exactly what I plan on getting next. I tow heavy a couple times per year, and it's nice to have a full size bed. Currently running a F150 super cab and I 'm going to try to shoehorn a baby carrier in the back, once the wife gets sick of the lack of space I'll have the green light to go get a different truck.

mudcat81

FNG
rodney482 that is a great looking truck. I may have to swallow my pride and buy non GM for my next truck, or maybe I will just keep my 03 Silverado running forever. It is unfortunately rusting out as I type but has always ran good. I recently spec'd out a 2020 Colorado ZR2 in the bright blue like rodney482's truck. With the diesel it was around $50k but was a great looking truck. Had a 01 GMC Sonoma ZR2 about 16 years ago that was a very fun truck but got full size mpg.

Pretty much exactly what I plan on getting next. I tow heavy a couple times per year, and it's nice to have a full size bed. Currently running a F150 super cab and I 'm going to try to shoehorn a baby carrier in the back, once the wife gets sick of the lack of space I'll have the green light to go get a different truck.

I have all three flavors for work in gassers and diesels (3/4's up t0 1 1/2 tons). The 6.2 is likely the most impressive gasser to date. Coincidentally I've had the most issues with the hemi gas, even though their cummings have been my most reliable diesel.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I could probably sale my 2011 TRD Off-road for around $20k if I wanted to. If your keeping it for 10 years do you want something that has a better chance of lasting that whole 10 years or something that increases chance of dumping money into over that 10 years. Especially after warranty.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Iowa

OP
Jacob Chapman
I was in your same boat 2 months ago. I had a reliable 2007 Tundra with 168,000. I was ready for something new and for the price of the Tundra, to me it was lacking as well. Plus the price you pay for a Tundra you can get a way nicer truck for the same price. I ended up with a 2019 Ram Bighorn with the level 2 package and wheel package. It is night and day nicer than any truck I test drove for the same price. I get 21 MPG on the highway with the 5.7 non eTorque motor. I have 7700 miles on it so far. We shall see on the reliability.
Any particular reason you went with the non e-torque?

OP
Jacob Chapman
Yes, I did not want my truck to turn off at stop lights/signs. The benefit of the eTorque system is added fuel mileage and from what I researched and what the dealer told me it got maybe 1 mpg better than my 21 mpg.

Yeah that makes sense, my wife's car does that and its a PITA.

Thanks

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04