New truck?

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure I'm going to rub someone the wrong way with this comment, but....

I really don't get the obsession with Tundras/Tacomas. Neither truck has been updated in a decade and they are both far behind their peers from Ford/GM/Ram. Also, everybody and their brother drives one in CO because they think having a Toyota is cool.

My second bit of the rant.... I can't stand seeing diehard American companies/people brag about how much they care about American workers, jobs, and making their products wholly in the United States, and then driving a Tundra or other Japanese vehicle. It makes no sense. And before you jump in and say the Toyota is mostly manufactured here, the money still ends up going to an overseas company in the end.

With that being said, I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and have never driven anything as quick. So before you make a decision I highly recommend that you drive one as the engine is amazing. The turbos really help our here in the altitude of CO as well.

In regard to the Ram, I did have the opportunity to drive a 2019 Ram Bighorn with the 5.7 Hemi earlier this year and I can say that Ram has the nicest interiors by far. That truck felt like a luxury vehicle.

tdhanses

WKR
Pretty much exactly what I plan on getting next. I tow heavy a couple times per year, and it's nice to have a full size bed. Currently running a F150 super cab and I 'm going to try to shoehorn a baby carrier in the back, once the wife gets sick of the lack of space I'll have the green light to go get a different truck.

The crew cab is huge, I really like it. I had a 17 Nissan Titan XD Cummins prior that seems small compared to the superduty.

tdhanses

WKR
Save thousands by letting someone else drive it off the lot for 30,000 miles and buy used. Last 3 work trucks Ive put 80,000 on every single one and never been even close to stranded.

I bought a Nissan Titan XD Cummins in 17 and in 2 years and 27k I only lost $6k from what I paid new, but I did get $16k in dealer rebates and discounts when I bought it 😂

tdhanses

WKR

I really don't get the obsession with Tundras/Tacomas. Neither truck has been updated in a decade and they are both far behind their peers from Ford/GM/Ram. Also, everybody and their brother drives one in CO because they think having a Toyota is cool.

My second bit of the rant.... I can't stand seeing diehard American companies/people brag about how much they care about American workers, jobs, and making their products wholly in the United States, and then driving a Tundra or other Japanese vehicle. It makes no sense. And before you jump in and say the Toyota is mostly manufactured here, the money still ends up going to an overseas company in the end.

With that being said, I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and have never driven anything as quick. So before you make a decision I highly recommend that you drive one as the engine is amazing. The turbos really help our here in the altitude of CO as well.

In regard to the Ram, I did have the opportunity to drive a 2019 Ram Bighorn with the 5.7 Hemi earlier this year and I can say that Ram has the nicest interiors by far. That truck felt like a luxury vehicle.

Don’t forget Ram is an Italian owned company, so don’t buy one of those foreign owed Rams cause the money goes overseas in the end just like a Toyota.

Also the same Italian company also owned CaseIH and New Holland, so only buy John Deere.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a Silverado guy for years and currently driving a 19 rebel that I rented across the country to go hunting. It’s a nice ass truck and would be on my short list if I were purchasing in the future. We’re getting 19.8 mpg and pretty happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Got a 2011 Tundra with 130K on it and it still drives runs and drives like the day I got it. Reliable as anyone can expect from Toyota. Replaced some wear and tear items but nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
You can still get a simple 4x4 work truck in the mid $20k range. People tend to fixate on msrp, which is a hugely inflated number on full size trucks. The minimum figure for me to even get interested is 23% off msrp.

Even a fairly well equipped truck can be had for mid up upper $30ks, which I think is actually pretty reasonable for what you are getting.

I am not married to any certain brand - I do my truck shopping based on value for my money. I currently have a Ram and I still think it is currently at the top for value. Before that, it was the Titan (10 years ago). I think almost every manufacturer has fairly equal power trains, so it mainly comes down to technology, comfort, and factory customization.

kda082

WKR
Have a 2014 Ram crew with the 5.7 and no issues. I do wish I'd have got the 8 speed auto over the 6 as the MPGs would be a little better, but I don't buy trucks for good mileage. Throw some K02s on and call it a day. Seats aren't heated but as an older dude I probably don't need any extra heat down there.

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget Ram is an Italian owned company, so don’t buy one of those foreign owed Rams cause the money goes overseas in the end just like a Toyota.

Also the same Italian company also owned CaseIH and New Holland, so only buy John Deere.

Yes, it's sad that Ram is now Fiat.

I'm not saying you can solely by American everything.

But the companies that tout "American made this, American made that" and then drive Tacomas and Tundras around is total hypocrisy.

And, my comment stands that they are decades old, outdated vehicles that are highly outclassed by current offerings from Ford/GM/ and Fiat.

Like I said, I'm going to rub someone the wrong way....

OP
Jacob Chapman

no offense, but if you drive a GM then you are being a hypocrite. GM took AMERICAN'S tax dollars via due to mismanagement, builds their cars in Mexico (not Americans) and their CEO gets rich-I'm not about that.

Bought my wife a Chevy Cruise- biggest pile of shit vehicle, we've had nothing but issues with it including major engine failure at 26k miles. Haggled with the upper mgmt at GM for months before they finally caved in and extended the warranty another 60k miles. That "American" vehicle will be sold prior to the warranty expiring, and will be the last GM vehicle for our family.

Yes the end dollar goes to Japan w/Toyota's-however they are built and sourced right here in America.

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
no offense, but if you drive a GM then you are being a hypocrite. GM took AMERICAN'S tax dollars via due to mismanagement, builds their cars in Mexico (not Americans) and their CEO gets rich-I'm not about that.

Bought my wife a Chevy Cruise- biggest pile of shit vehicle, we've had nothing but issues with it including major engine failure at 26k miles. Haggled with the upper mgmt at GM for months before they finally caved in and extended the warranty another 60k miles. That "American" vehicle will be sold prior to the warranty expiring, and will be the last GM vehicle for our family.

Yes the end dollar goes to Japan w/Toyota's-however they are built and sourced right here in America.
Yeah I hear ya there. Sadly the whole market is a mess anymore, but without beating the horse to death, I have a problem with companies claiming they are unabashedly American and then supporting Japanese vehicles over let's say a Ford.

But alas, I was born in Detroit so maybe I'm too close to the situation.

I drive a Ford....that came off the lot with a license plate frame that stated "Proudly Built Without Your Tax Dollars"

And listen, my fiance drives a 2005 4Runner. It's a nice truck and it's held up incredibly well. I don't have a problem with Toyota engineering per se. I think they can and do make a nice vehicle. I just wouldn't buy a Tacoma or Tundra because they're incredibly outdated. Sadly so are the new 4Runners.

Want to drive a Toyota? So be it! Just don't get in my face with your (the proverbial you) all-American branding and then show me your graphic'ed -out Toyota. Doesn't make sense to me.

Billinsd

WKR
Pickup prices are ridiculous. If I could get a new truck with power nothing, no touch screen or heated seats, no tech whatsoever just a plain truck for less than $20k I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Until that happens I’ll keep driving my 2010 F150. Only have 90,000 miles on it. It’s a quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 and I get 19 mpg at 75 mph. About 16 mpg at 55mph or less. I’ve hauled way more than I should with it. Tractors, skid steers, large loads of rock, drywall, 25 sheets of 5/8 osb in the bed and never a problem. I can’t see spending what I paid for my first house on a pickup.
I'd love a plain truck I could wash out with a fire hose. Modern trucks have too much blingy stuff. Give me heat, ac, power windows, good off road capability and reliability, and lockers. : )

Billinsd

WKR

I interpreted what you said as you are damned if you do or don't. I really, really, really, really hate giving Japan a penny. I heard too many stories about their actions in WWII. However, I'd rather pay the Japanese than Government Motors and union workers and in my opinion the quality is much better. So, yes I hold my nose and buy Japanese.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Yeah I hear ya there. Sadly the whole market is a mess anymore, but without beating the horse to death, I have a problem with companies claiming they are unabashedly American and then supporting Japanese vehicles over let's say a Ford.

But alas, I was born in Detroit so maybe I'm too close to the situation.

I drive a Ford....that came off the lot with a license plate frame that stated "Proudly Built Without Your Tax Dollars"

And listen, my fiance drives a 2005 4Runner. It's a nice truck and it's held up incredibly well. I don't have a problem with Toyota engineering per se. I think they can and do make a nice vehicle. I just wouldn't buy a Tacoma or Tundra because they're incredibly outdated. Sadly so are the new 4Runners.

Want to drive a Toyota? So be it! Just don't get in my face with your (the proverbial you) all-American branding and then show me your graphic'ed -out Toyota. Doesn't make sense to me.

I can certainly appreciate that point of view.

Outside of the 5.0 (still considering it as well) or 6.2, the Ford motors scare me, I definitely don't trust a turbo charged gasser.

tdhanses

WKR

Outside of the 5.0 (still considering it as well) or 6.2, the Ford motors scare me, I definitely don't trust a turbo charged gasser.

The 6.2 is a very reliable motor trans setup but don’t expect it to have good mpg.

Towing I get 8mpg and on avg around town I’m getting 15mpg, should get a tad better with time once it breaks in but not much.

Pickup prices are ridiculous. If I could get a new truck with power nothing, no touch screen or heated seats, no tech whatsoever just a plain truck for less than $20k I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Until that happens I’ll keep driving my 2010 F150. Only have 90,000 miles on it. It’s a quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 and I get 19 mpg at 75 mph. About 16 mpg at 55mph or less. I’ve hauled way more than I should with it. Tractors, skid steers, large loads of rock, drywall, 25 sheets of 5/8 osb in the bed and never a problem. I can’t see spending what I paid for my first house on a pickup.
Good grief...I miss the old work trucks. Vinyl bench seat, vinyl floor, 5 speed (that means you actually shift it yourself) “radio” and maybe A/C.

Man trucks.

But I get it. The flat brim Creedmoor brigade needs an extra cup holder for their politically conscience Yeti full of coffee with enough head room for their man bun and a big rear window for all the stickers.

😂
I'd love a plain truck I could wash out with a fire hose. Modern trucks have too much blingy stuff. Give me heat, ac, power windows, good off road capability and reliability, and lockers. : )

Check out fleet dealers. They might have what you are looking for. Work trucks without the bells and whistles, vinyl floors for easy clean up.

My brother in-law works for the local Ford dealership and hes told me repeatedly that the eco-boost engines are referred to as eco-booms ....not a single one of their mechanics drive one and all swear by the 5.0...and all the guys I've talked to that do have eco-booms trucks complain of single digit number mileage as soon as the hook up a trailer bigger than a lawn mower. That said I just test drove the new jeep gladiator and the ride quality is great and the owner has been bragging about getting 22 mpg back and forth to work. Only time will tell if it is a good vehicle.

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider

I get that. Turbos definitely have that factor.

I can say I have had nothing but success with mine though. Albeit I have not used the truck for true towing outside a heavy payload. But it really does hum in the mountains. I can be at 9000 feet doing 75 on a 10% incline and when I press the pedal down the truck just continues to give more...

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
No way either of them get anywhere close to those mpg’s.

Weird, I've been with my dad when we hand calculated it. We both must be idiots though huh? I suppose a doctor and an engineer can't manage simple math.

Same situation with my cousin and brother. I suppose a doctor and physical therapist are even worse off!

It's nice to know you're omniscient, Mulyhuntr.