New truck?

no offense, but if you drive a GM then you are being a hypocrite. GM took AMERICAN'S tax dollars via due to mismanagement, builds their cars in Mexico (not Americans) and their CEO gets rich-I'm not about that.

Bought my wife a Chevy Cruise- biggest pile of shit vehicle, we've had nothing but issues with it including major engine failure at 26k miles. Haggled with the upper mgmt at GM for months before they finally caved in and extended the warranty another 60k miles. That "American" vehicle will be sold prior to the warranty expiring, and will be the last GM vehicle for our family.

Yes the end dollar goes to Japan w/Toyota's-however they are built and sourced right here in America.

This is exactly right. More of my Tundra is built in America than any of the “domestic” 3. And it’s better quality. That’s money that goes to American workers. Jobs that keep Americans working and paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save thousands by letting someone else drive it off the lot for 30,000 miles and buy used. Last 3 work trucks Ive put 80,000 on every single one and never been even close to stranded.

This is not always the case depending on when you buy, and how patient you are. I bought my new one for less than some of the used 2018 Tundras that I had been looking at. Taking advantage of the manufacturer rebates and large volume dealers can save a lot of money. Most people pay too much because they don't do their homework and don't even attempt to negotiate.

Trial153

WKR
Converting miles already used to dollars saved doesnt always add up with a used vehicle. There are many times that while the over all cost of a new vehicle is more the cost per mile of owner ship for new is lower.

Last edited:
OP
Jacob Chapman
Whichever direction I decide to go, I don't treat vehicles the same way I do bows (thankfully) as far as trading/replacing every couple years.

This truck is going to be with me for 10 years+, so I'm going to get exactly what I want, down to the color. It's my $ and I work hard for it and just don't want to make a snap decision.

I'm going to drive the Ford 5.0, Dodge Rebel or Bighorn, and a few older Tundra's (don't think I can get a deal on a new Tundra, and not spending 50k on a vehicle).

Titan

WKR
Also note that the "rebel" is now essentially just the "offroad package" but with different front bumper and some interior styling. If that isn't a big deal, you can get a laramie with more options for roughly the same price. The offroad group only runs $800.

mdp22

FNG
Always been a Ford fan, my old hunting vehicle was a 1994 Bronco with a 5.0. This year I bought a new 2018 F150 FX4 with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears which you couldn't order online. Love it so far, mileage is impressive and the power is great. Will probably upgrade the front bumper to get a little more front approach angle.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Weird, I've been with my dad when we hand calculated it. We both must be idiots though huh? I suppose a doctor and an engineer can't manage simple math.

Same situation with my cousin and brother. I suppose a doctor and physical therapist are even worse off!

It's nice to know you're omniscient, Mulyhuntr.

Yep, I totally called you an idiot...

I'm just highly doubtful anytime anyone posts mpg #'s well above epa estimate. 2018 5.0 4wd=22hwy, so you're telling me yours gets 2-4mpg above epa estimate? 2018 3.5 4wd=23hwy and you get that at 80mph? Maybe the trucks are 2wd, or there was a strong tailwind. If that's the case I'd believe the 3.5 #'s.

I've owned and/or driven all the trucks you mention and none of them met the epa estimates. These things are like bricks going down the highway and mileage plummets above 70mph. In my experience, it's a 2-4mpg hit going from a 70mph cruise to 80mph cruise. People love to fluff their MPG's because it makes them feel good about their purchase decision and then like to take offense when someone doesn't buy it. Ecoboost owners (I was one) love to brag about their mileage, even though they do no better than a na v8 in most cases. However, they do make for a wonderful driving and towing experience with all the low-end torque.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
All 4wd models, no strong tail or headwind.

You don't have to believe me, I really could care less if you do or not. I'm stating real world evidence of what they are capable of. My 2013 3.5 EB with leveling kit and 315/70/17s gets 14 mpg most of the time and I'm fine with that. No fluffing numbers here.

Billinsd

WKR
I'm sure I'm going to rub someone the wrong way with this comment, but....
We can disagree, that's fine.
I really don't get the obsession with Tundras/Tacomas. Neither truck has been updated in a decade and they are both far behind their peers from Ford/GM/Ram. Also, everybody and their brother drives one in CO because they think having a Toyota is cool
There you just went and did it!!!!! LOL. Toyotas and Honda in my view have been solid, reliable cars for decades. Especially Honda. Cars, generators, minibikes. That's my experience and opinion over the decades. Solid and reliable are tops for me. Cool, nothing I do is cool. How many of you guys that drive Tacomas or Tundras get comments or snears? Is it just me? lol. Maybe things have changed in the last few years?
My second bit of the rant.... I can't stand seeing diehard American companies/people brag about how much they care about American workers, jobs, and making their products wholly in the United States, and then driving a Tundra or other Japanese vehicle. It makes no sense. And before you jump in and say the Toyota is mostly manufactured here, the money still ends up going to an overseas company in the end.
I'll be the first to tell you, I HATE seeing the money I spend on Japanese cars and parts going back to Japan. I grew up in the 60s and 70s listening to all the terrible things Japan did, Pearl Harbor and Battaan. I grew up very, very, very anti Japan. On the flip side, through my dad I also grew up very, very, very anti labor union. I witnessed myself the violence and corruption that unions are capable of. To say I am conflicted is understated. Then of course I am extremely analytical and frugal. When I am buying a car or a truck I want to buy what is going to be the most reliable and the best bang for the buck. Me, me, me is what I am thinking of when I make purchases. Cars and trucks of course are terrible investments to begin with.
With that being said, I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and have never driven anything as quick. So before you make a decision I highly recommend that you drive one as the engine is amazing. The turbos really help our here in the altitude of CO as well.
How reliable has it been up to and past 100,000 miles? Just oil changes, spark plugs, maybe timing belt, water pump? If so, fantastic!!!! I work in the Construction industry and see lots and lots of Ford 150s and am not impressed. Or rather have not been.
[/QUOTE]In regard to the Ram, I did have the opportunity to drive a 2019 Ram Bighorn with the 5.7 Hemi earlier this year and I can say that Ram has the nicest interiors by far. That truck felt like a luxury vehicle.
[/QUOTE]What is the cost and how reliable is it?[
You are mentioning performance and it sounds like comfort and updated designs? This is fine, but how's the reliability? Sounds like you and I have different priorities?

Billinsd

WKR
All 4wd models, no strong tail or headwind.

You don't have to believe me, I really could care less if you do or not. I'm stating real world evidence of what they are capable of. My 2013 3.5 EB with leveling kit and 315/70/17s gets 14 mpg most of the time and I'm fine with that. No fluffing numbers here.
I'm real odd. I do the opposite of fluffing my mpg. LOL. I often forget to calculate that my tires are about 10% bigger than stock, so my actual mileage is greater than my odometer and also my mpg. If I exaggerate my mpg, who am I fooling? Myself? The mpg on my 4x4 Tacoma is about 14, which is poor. I like the truck because it is maneuverable, and reliable. The mpg is the only negative I see.

Billinsd

WKR
Yep, I totally called you an idiot...

I'm just highly doubtful anytime anyone posts mpg #'s well above epa estimate. 2018 5.0 4wd=22hwy, so you're telling me yours gets 2-4mpg above epa estimate? 2018 3.5 4wd=23hwy and you get that at 80mph? Maybe the trucks are 2wd, or there was a strong tailwind. If that's the case I'd believe the 3.5 #'s.

I've owned and/or driven all the trucks you mention and none of them met the epa estimates. These things are like bricks going down the highway and mileage plummets above 70mph. In my experience, it's a 2-4mpg hit going from a 70mph cruise to 80mph cruise. People love to fluff their MPG's because it makes them feel good about their purchase decision and then like to take offense when someone doesn't buy it. Ecoboost owners (I was one) love to brag about their mileage, even though they do no better than a na v8 in most cases. However, they do make for a wonderful driving and towing experience with all the low-end torque.
I can't hardly figure what's going on in my mind let alone other people's minds. I think most people do tend to exaggerate their purchases. I find myself doing it sometimes, but it is rare. Being an engineer I'm different, though. I've been trained to be critical, to look for fault and failure in things. I've had people tell me my Tacoma has to get better mileage than I say I am getting. I'll tell everyone this, you need to fill your tank exactly the same from when you fill it up to when you refill it. I tend to top off. I can get another 2 gallons maybe by topping off. If I top off I need to top off exactly the same both times. I need to use the same pump at the same gas station. Filling up or topping off can throw off true mpg.

Billinsd

WKR
My brother in-law works for the local Ford dealership and hes told me repeatedly that the eco-boost engines are referred to as eco-booms ....not a single one of their mechanics drive one and all swear by the 5.0...and all the guys I've talked to that do have eco-booms trucks complain of single digit number mileage as soon as the hook up a trailer bigger than a lawn mower. That said I just test drove the new jeep gladiator and the ride quality is great and the owner has been bragging about getting 22 mpg back and forth to work. Only time will tell if it is a good vehicle.
There you go. Don't listen to me, or others. Talk to mechanics!!! Great post.

There you go. Don't listen to me, or others. Talk to mechanics!!! Great post.
I learned that a while ago when I was atv shopping and a sales guy took me back into the service department and showed me the multiple problems with the one I was interested in and I thank him to this day. Always talk to the service techs on what they see the most of and what they have the least amount of repairs to do on.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
gotta throw one in for chevy colorado duramax. it's a midsize, but fits my use well and has no problem towing my turtleback trailer. I have been very impressed with comfort and handling. Gas mileage is impressive. favorite feature is remote start with the heated seats. nothing like going from freezing tent to warm toasty truck.

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
'05 F250 XL, regular cab, roll down windows, manual locks, vinyl floor, lock out hubs. 10-11 mpg loaded or empty. Most trucks around here are fashion statements if not owned by a farmer or business owner.

I drive my '00 Corolla to and from work most of the time
47bd2dbc089b8c0f6b0d31504ce57e58.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Pickup prices are ridiculous. If I could get a new truck with power nothing, no touch screen or heated seats, no tech whatsoever just a plain truck for less than $20k I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Until that happens I’ll keep driving my 2010 F150. Only have 90,000 miles on it. It’s a quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 and I get 19 mpg at 75 mph. About 16 mpg at 55mph or less. I’ve hauled way more than I should with it. Tractors, skid steers, large loads of rock, drywall, 25 sheets of 5/8 osb in the bed and never a problem. I can’t see spending what I paid for my first house on a pickup.

I hope you continue to have good luck. I have a 2010 5.4 as well and my cam phasers are really starting to go...really liked everything about it until this issue. They all are having the same problem sooner or later, mine has 110k on it. Deciding if I want to stick a good amount of money into the old truck or start over with a new one.

My brother in-law works for the local Ford dealership and hes told me repeatedly that the eco-boost engines are referred to as eco-booms ....not a single one of their mechanics drive one and all swear by the 5.0...and all the guys I've talked to that do have eco-booms trucks complain of single digit number mileage as soon as the hook up a trailer bigger than a lawn mower. That said I just test drove the new jeep gladiator and the ride quality is great and the owner has been bragging about getting 22 mpg back and forth to work. Only time will tell if it is a good vehicle.

I've heard nothing but horror stories as well on the 3.5 EcoBoost. Locally to me we have quite a bit of guys in the natural gas industry that have put a ton of hard miles on these trucks. Its not uncommon to hear of a motor needing 2 or 3 turbo's in 150K. Most Ford guys have since switched back to the naturally aspirated 5.0 coyote motor for good reason if their running a half ton pickup.

Although the 3.5 EcoBoost's are quite an impressive little power plant, their durability just isn't as good as other options IMO.