New Truck

Once you own a diesel you will never look back. And then once you delete it you will be ruined forever. Traded in my deleted truck for a new one. Went with new because it was cheaper than buying used šŸ˜‚ first time in history.

MJB

WKR
GMC Denali 2020 diesel Duramax.
Went to NM for an elk hunt 3 hunters, 3 elk 27-30mpg street tires going 75-90mph.
Most impressive was how quiet it was didn't sound like a diesel sounded like gas......I'm sold!

Down side
tailgate won't operate without the keys.
Way to many electronics to go bad
No fuel cap
Def way to close to the fuel.

gearguywb

WKR
Went to NM for an elk hunt 3 hunters, 3 elk 27-30mpg street tires going 75-90mph.
Most impressive was how quiet it was didn't sound like a diesel sounded like gas......I'm sold!

Down side
No fuel cap
I have heard some wild mileage claims but I think that is the best yet! 30 mpg with 2K lbs of guys and gear (at least), 90 mph....Wow!

I hunt regularly with a guy with a 2020 Duramax. Nice truck. He gets 22 on average, on the freeway, doing 70-75

I went from a GMC Duramax to a Ram 2500 diesel. The Ram has a lot more ground clearance and fit 35ā€ tires stock. I looked hard at Fords, but they were up to $20K more for similar equipped truck at the time. Iā€™ve had diesels for work and personally since 1996, I would never go gas again.

I did order mine through Dave Smithā€™s in Idaho. The process was easy and I didnā€™t mind the wait.

This might be my last truck as my wife and I keep vehicles a long time. We wanted certain features and we got them, itā€™s a comfortable rig to dress up and take to swanky establishments with valets and it also does well off-road. It pulls my 10K bumper hitched boat like it isnā€™t there. A lot of my buddies are Ford guys and love their trucks too. I put 300K+ on my old GMC and I loved the Duramax/Allison combo, the low slung frame just high centered way too much for my liking.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I have 55k miles on my 2018 F350 DRW diesel. I tow heavy loads and do long trips. This summer I had my Arctic Fox camper in the bed with 25' enclosed trailer with ATVs from WA to SD and back. I was around 22k lbs and got 10 miles to the gallon on that trip. I've had zero issues with it and love how it pulls. Mine is 100% stock and will stay that way other than possibly a DEF delete but I haven't even had the time to look into that yet.

One thing I would look at is the size of fuel tank available for the truck you decide on. Mine has a 48-gallon tank and it's awesome for those long trips. Most of the short beds have tiny tanks and they suck imo.
What is the gear-ratio in the axles? This is the biggest determining factor when looking at fuel mileage. I have a 2011 F-350 with the 3.55:1 axles and can get upwards of 20+ mpg on the highway and is plenty strong. Also have a 2015 F-350 with the 4.55:1 ratio that struggles to make it above 15 mpg but can pull a house down while fully loaded without breaking a sweat.

Dackdack

FNG

Down side
No fuel cap
3.0 Duramax?

I traded in a 2017 6.7 power stroke for that 2020 7.3L gas tremor. Both were 3/4 tons and unmolested. What I noticed: flatline towing, not much difference. Once I got into hills the 7.3 did fine, but that powerstroke did it way smoother and with what seemed like far less effort (huge difference in torque numbers between the two). When not towing they were my daily drivers. The tremor suspension was very stiff to the point where my wife refused to drive it if I needed her to. I concurred, it was noticeably not as good of a ride as the non-tremor counterpart. I think I got about 11mpg on the 7.3 (ouch) compared to just under 20 on the powerstroke. When towing, the 7.3 tanked and the powerstroke was largely unaffected. My camper wet was about 9k lbs. Maintenance-wise the gasser was way easier and oil changes were $40 instead of close to $150. If you do it yourself itā€™ll be cheaper. Iā€™m on the IL/WI border so keeping the powerstroke plugged during bitter winter periods was a must and another thing to remember to do (on top of the DEF fluid and diesel treatments).

Iā€™ve only owned Fords so I canā€™t attest to different interiors. The crew offers plenty enough room for my family of four. When I sold the camper I got out of the game altogether and am now comfortably back in a F150 which fits my needs better. Fun fact: the cabs of the 1/2 tons are the same dimensions as that of the bigger boys.

If I get back to towing and If I could have one or the other, despite the PITA ownership, the powerstroke would be it. That torque is just simply unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gearguywb

WKR
One of the reasons for my choice (diesel over gas), obviously the power......was the relatively short range of a 7.3 truck while towing. 34 gallon tank, south of 9 mpg (by most reports when pulling a larger TT).

One of the reasons for my choice (diesel over gas), obviously the power......was the relatively short range of a 7.3 truck while towing. 34 gallon tank, south of 9 mpg (by most reports when pulling a larger TT).
Agreed the tank size is a PIA on the 7.3 Transferflow is supposed to have 50ish gallon replacement tank for sale in April..I will be replacing the factory tank as soon as it is available.

svivian

WKR
Range was also our gripe on the 6.2 gasser when we were towing. We had to go to Arkansas from Colorado and had to stop every 250 miles. My 6.7 diesel would be 400miles between stops with the same trailer.

dtrkyman

WKR
Big trucks are pretty nice, especially for towing or long trips. Problem for me is they would never fit on the trails I always seem to wind up on! Forget turning them around.

This is my 2021 F250 that I got in about April of Last year. Itā€™s been a HUGE upgrade from the old 300,000 mile f350 that I had been driving for the last 10 years. While I really like the tremor package I was steered away from it for 2 reasons. First is that it doesnā€™t come in a long bed and that was an absolute deal breaker for me. I have too many tools that live in the back of my truck for a short bed. Also I was told by my dealer that the tremor package has a lower towing capacity due to the softer suspension. I am a contractor so I am subject to the roadside weigh stations if Iā€™m towing a heavy trailer and I donā€™t want issues there. Absolutely love the truck though. I would never own amother Chrysler product. Been there, done with that.

Edit: 48 gallon fuel capacity is awesome as stated by other post above, and so is the 10 speed transmission.

Attachments

• 61E44DA4-4B32-46EB-BC20-FF44B592870A.jpeg
    61E44DA4-4B32-46EB-BC20-FF44B592870A.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 8C7FDF07-5047-4AD1-A0A2-24504964CB9F.jpeg
    8C7FDF07-5047-4AD1-A0A2-24504964CB9F.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 63

fmyth

WKR
If you're buying new - I would recommend going to a 1 ton. There is only about $500 difference between a 3/4 vs 1 ton. I love my F350 SRW diesel.
The OP might want to check with his states DMV before choosing a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton truck. Here in AZ we are required to register anything greater than a 3/4 ton as a commercial vehicle and pay the gross weight fees. Then you are required to get a commercial insurance policy which is more expensive. That initial $500 price difference is nothing compared to the more expensive initial registration fee, license renewal fees every two years and the more expensive commercial insurance premiums you'll pay as long as you own the truck. To make matters worse some states a require a CDL to drive a truck with GCWR of over 26,000 lbs and this would include many F350's and Ram 3500's etc Many states hold drivers with a CDL to different DUI standards when driving a vehicle registered as commercial. Depending on the state this can be as low as .04% BAC which is half of what is allowed without a commercial license. One stiff drink could raise your BAC to .04% depending on your weight. This is why you see a lot a 250's and 2500's pulling travel trailers or 5th wheels that are well beyond the trucks GCWR rating.

Just the opposite in BC. All 1 tons and no 3/4 tons, as there is no luxury tax on purchase price above $50,000 C on a 1 ton, but there is on trucks rated less than a ton. Pretty easy to get way $50,000 Canadian on most big trucks these days.

svivian

WKR
The OP might want to check with his states DMV before choosing a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton truck. Here in AZ we are required to register anything greater than a 3/4 ton as a commercial vehicle and pay the gross weight fees. Then you are required to get a commercial insurance policy which is more expensive. That initial $500 price difference is nothing compared to the more expensive initial registration fee, license renewal fees every two years and the more expensive commercial insurance premiums you'll pay as long as you own the truck. To make matters worse some states a require a CDL to drive a truck with GCWR of over 26,000 lbs and this would include many F350's and Ram 3500's etc Many states hold drivers with a CDL to different DUI standards when driving a vehicle registered as commercial. Depending on the state this can be as low as .04% BAC which is half of what is allowed without a commercial license. One stiff drink could raise your BAC to .04% depending on your weight. This is why you see a lot a 250's and 2500's pulling travel trailers or 5th wheels that are well beyond the trucks GCWR rating.

Just to be clear the GCWR is the gross combined weight rating of a truck and trailer. A standard f350 should weigh 8-10k pounds.

Or am I misreading which is why you stare at the bottom about the 2500 or 250 sized trucks towing big 5th wheels

Last edited: