New turkey gun

Guys I want a new turkey gun my super nova is to heavy. Looking to get somthing without a pistol grip this time and semi auto.

What do you recommend. I almost want to go 20g to keep it light for walking. Not more then 1000 bucks

Definitely go with a 20ga, no question about it. In that price range, I would be strongly considering the Franchi Affinity compact.

Holocene

WKR
Winchester SX4 if you like gas guns. I do. It will kick / bite at you a littl less and is 100% reliable.

Affinity is cool too because the recoil spring is in the forestock -- not the buttstock -- so if you ever get the gun really wet you don't have to fully disassemble the mainspring in the stock like a lot of semiautos.

Holocene

WKR
I would have said Winchester Sx3 but the prices people are asking on Gunbroker, etc. are stupid high. SX4 can be had for a fair price.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for sx4 in a 20 if you’ve got to have a semi auto under 1,000. I’m highly considering getting on the .410 bandwagon though. The things they’re doing with TSS is impressive and you can’t beat how light they are and recoil is almost non existent.

bradb

WKR
Love my youth 20 for turkey. It's as little v Weatherby sa 08 youth.

axeforce6

WKR
I have a SX4 nwtf 12ga that I love. Light. Patterns great and I can pack it all day.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i would get the stoeger 3020, they are $5-600 depending on black/camo, i own both the 3" and 3.5" 12 gauges and also a benelli m2 field and your paying for a name is the only difference, sure there are small differences but nothing that matters much to a hunter. My original Stoeger has good trigger, my 3500 i put a $10 replacement trigger spring in that got it perfect, only complaint. I've dove hunted with them all with super light loads all way up to heavy stuff and had 0 misfires/cycles, etc. No complaints your getting a benelli at 1/2-1/3 price and they are light and just feel great to shoulder. Go shoulder one at gun shop if they have any and you'll walk away with it. when you do hit Sumtoy up for a choke, he makes the best turkey chokes out there, period. Just a good o'l boy in his shop and he'll ask what loads your going to shoot, barrel length, etc and that 20 paired with TSS loads you can take turkeys out to 60 every time if that tickles your fancy!

dtrkyman

WKR
Sx4 and many 20ga are too heavy!

Franchi Mossberg sa20 Stoeger 3020. are all excellent 5.5-6lb guns. I have an sa20 turkey version.

Not a fan of a compact unless you need the short stock!

The Winchester is a quality gun but weighs as much as many 12ga so what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

willd

FNG
I'd go for the Franchi affinity with a red dot - should knock down any tom you call in!

If you change your mind on the semi auto, my turkey gun right now is a Winchester SXP with a 28" barrel and a Crosley turkey choke. It's light, reliable and has helped me get plenty of toms.

Chaser96

FNG
If you haven’t picked one up yet you seriously need to look at the stoeger 3020. Their factory turkey choke shoots great patterns with tss and it’s a 5.5 pound gun. I’ve used mine for several years with no complaints and it’s killed probably 30 birds between me the wife and one of my buddies that i take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk