New Turkey Hunter

This past weekend Someone took me on my first Turkey hunt and I loved it. I really want to learn to be able to go by self. What do I need to effectively hunt turkeys. I hope to be able to both blind hunt and spot and stalk. I will also need to learn to call. I bought a mouth call but can’t use it very well. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
A slate call or “pot” call is probably easiest to learn on, but also keep playing with the mouth call. I’m convinced that people put too much stock in trying to be a really good caller. I think it’s much more important to know when to call and appropriate types of calls.
A turkey shotgun, camo, and a call is all a person really needs to kill one, everything else is just extra. The biggest part of turkey hunting for me is locating them. Spend the time at sunset and sunrise trying to pinpoint gobbles. Drop pins on OnX approximately where you think they are. Over time, this really starts to show you where and what type of terrain features, etc to really key in on.
I’m not a expert turkey hunter or caller by any means, I just enjoy hunting in general, and turkey season is a good way to do some scouting for my deer hunt ting areas, look for shed antlers, and out a few turkey breasts in the freezer! I got one this past weekend with my bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said above, camo, a call you're proficient with, and a shotgun are all you need. Locating them is tough, particularly on Public. I started off hunting private and had success. Public is much more challenging to me, but I also get to scout deer hunting spots too.

You don't have to be an expert caller. I had a hen turkey get right on top of me while I was trying to work a Tom in off of private onto Public. I could have sworn the whole time I heard her calling that she was another hunter after the same bird on private. She got almost in my lap trying to find me to run off. You'd be surprised how "bad" the live hen sounds.

Hunting public land has really increased my interest in turkey hunting! It's an awesome, challenging, head-scratching, aggravating bird to hunt!

I’ll go a little different and reccomend a box call, camo, and some decoys. You don’t have to go crazy… I really like the Woodhaven mahogany hen but I’ve called in alot of birds with cheap Walmart brand box calls. As far as the decoys go you can get a set of primos decoys for $50. Camo/dark colors and you’ll be fine…. Go have fun

WRM

WKR
Ditto on "bad" hens. Some sound really bad.

Cadence is the most important. Listen to some live hen calling and match cadence.

Don't over call. If your ask yourself "am I calling too much?" then you most certainly are.

Don't overlook the lowly push/pull style call. One of the deadliest calls there is and pretty easy to get right.

If you can find an area where you are pretty sure they are, set up a blind and just call a little run every 15 minutes or so. The longer you sit, the more likely one is going to come to investigate that "lonesome hen".

Call once every half hour… when they see the decoys shut up… I’ve been told turkeys can pin point the location of a sound to within 6 feet… all of the sudden that Tom will quit looking at your decoys and look at you.