New Turkey shotgun under $500?

N2TRKYS

WKR
If the 870 or Mossberg fits you better, then get that one, otherwise I think the Benelli Nova. They come in any configuration you could want- which makes all the 870 add ons less critical; chamber up to 3.5” shells (what you want for turkey-and 870 is limited to 3”); bomb proof; light weight (also a big plus for turkey hunting); and have the same incredible ergonomics of a super black eagle for 1/4 of the price.

870s are offered in 3.5" as well.

FURMAN

WKR
I've had them all the Benelli is the best of the three. I would try to handle all three, if you can, before you purchase. You may prefer the feel of one over the others. When I first got the Benelli I was afraid the aggressive gip would hurt when shooting in the cold but it was never a problem.

Could you expand on this? I really like the looks of the 11/87 compact in 20 ga. It’s the only auto I can find with a 21” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've had numerous cycling issues with my 11-87 since i bought it and it only gets used sparingly. i've had to pull it apart multiple times to get stuck shells out of the action. i've had it try and double feed shells in the field when loading it. you rack the first out of the tube and here comes the second with it and jambs. my father-in-law has an older 1100 that he's used since the mid 80's and never had a problem with it. he bought an 11-87 super mag as a backup turkey gun and it's got the same issues as mine it would appear. he's probably shot it less than 5 times and it's sitting in my gun cabinet right now with a shell half way stuck up in the action and i've got to pull it apart for him.

Well that sucks. I’m also looking at the Weatherby sa 08 and a Mossberg sa 20. I really liked that shorter barrel on the 11/87 though. Maybe I should stick with my old pump haha. Have you had any luck contacting Remington about the issues. I haven’t heard anything to good about Remington these days except some guys bragging on their new V3 auto.

OP, you don't need a special shotgun for turkeys. If you already have one for waterfowl or any birds for that matter, you have a turkey gun. Change out the choke and let her ride.

Or, if you really wanna make it interesting, hunt them with a bow.

Well that sucks. I’m also looking at the Weatherby sa 08 and a Mossberg sa 20. I really liked that shorter barrel on the 11/87 though. Maybe I should stick with my old pump haha. Have you had any luck contacting Remington about the issues. I haven’t heard anything to good about Remington these days except some guys bragging on their new V3 auto.

i haven't contacted them and i probably should. i just keep fixing it and waiting for the next issue. what i have found is they seem to be very finicky about being clean and lubed just right. i know now to hit it with gunscrubber all the time and you have to find just the right balance of lubrication. maybe that's common on all autoloaders.

Apollo117

WKR
I've read experiences similar to EZ's about the 11-87. I wouldn't buy one either. I also wouldn't buy anything made by Remington in the last decade.

Dad has a couple 20+ year old 1100's that cycle very well. The trick is to fully (I mean fully) clean them every time you use them. Also check the o-rings when you clean them.

OP, I'd look at a Benelli or a Mossberg 930. Others have spoken about the Benelli, so I won't. I like the 930, because it's got a large aftermarket parts selection. I think I could configure a 930 to be a do-all shotgun. Home defense, waterfowl, upland, turkey, etc. It's not the best tool for any application, but it's decent at every application.

isu22andy

WKR
I never understood why people think they need a special shotgun to kill turkeys. Buy a semi auto Bennelli Stoeger or Franchi and hunt everything from dove and pheasants to turkey to snow geese ect...

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I never understood why people think they need a special shotgun to kill turkeys. Buy a semi auto Bennelli Stoeger or Franchi and hunt everything from dove and pheasants to turkey to snow geese ect...

I always have a seperate "turkey gun". For me it's so that I don't have to mess with the sights every year. I have a little winchester 1300 pump that's light weight and patterns great!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a 870 for the last 30 years and haven't had an ounce of trouble with it and its been used a lot. I just picked up another 870 its older SYN stock, 24 inch double beaded barrel and 4 chokes including an extra full turkey choke for $250 the action is still a bit stiff so I know it hasn't been used much and it functions like it should.

NWHunter84

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a SXP this year. Comes with a Longbeard choke and fiber optics. The non pistol grip model is a few $ less. Really happy with it compared to the 870 I used to run. Out the door for just under $500. I added a Vortex red dot.

Attachments

• 37FB8340-EA64-40A4-A1BF-D06DDF75471B.jpeg
    37FB8340-EA64-40A4-A1BF-D06DDF75471B.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 18

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
870 for me, and the other two wouldn't even be considered, cleaning the Mossberg 500 is a complete joke the way the action comes apart, no thanks...

And I'll 2nd the 1187 comments, those things are absolute junk as well, 50 percent of the time they work half of the time.... Always always had feeding and jamming issues. To the point a carried tools with so I could fix it faster in the field.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've just bought a couple of more 870s. $288 for an 870 Compact 20ga is hard to beat. I'll throw in a $20 Remington Super Full choke and have 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with TSS.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I used to use my 870. Like said above, you can get whatever parts you want for an 870. 26" barrel with chokes for whatever, 18" police barrel and pistol grip for slugs in bear country, etc.

I now use a single shot 20ga, lighter and just kinda more fun.

No need for a special shotty, buy whatever will be most utilitarian for all hunting needs.

EKyhookr

FNG
Won’t ever shoot a 12ga again. Put together a youth 870 for my son and it’s my go to now. Gonna do another build for myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

fatlander

WKR
20 gauge 870, good choke, some commercially available TSS loads.

That’s going to put more pellets on target, with more energy, less recoil, and less mass weight than any 12 gauge and lead or hevi-shot.

There’s more reasons to carry a .410 with tss than a 12 with lead anymore. . .