New Ultra Light Arms sold to Wilson Combat

Good evening y'all! First post, so here it goes:

I just read today an article on Field & Stream about Melvin Forbes selling his legendary company, New Ultra Light Arms, to Wilson Combat. My heart sank as soon as I saw the title. I've been trying to save up for the past few years for a NULA and even reached out to Melvin Forbes last year with an inquiry. He was kind enough to send me a catalog back with his phone number instructing me to call him. Needless to say I couldn't make it happen last year, and now it looks like I'm going to miss out on a NULA.

What are some other great options for a fully custom lightweight hunting rifle? I have my heart set on a Rifles Inc Lightweight 70, as I hear that Lex Webernick builds nothing but quality. I am not interested in a Wilson NULA. I feel as buyouts never churn out as high quality of a product as the original maker, and we all have seen several examples of this in the gun industry. Looking at the new menu, they're only offering the M20 in five cartridges. Only five cartridges available for what is supposed to be a fully custom rifle from a custom shop? I'm dead set on a 6.5x284 Norma and to see the parent 284 Winchester offered over the more popular Norma really made me scratch my head.

Is Rifles Inc a good place to go for what I'm wanting built? This will be my first custom rifle, and I know Wilson makes great 1911s. But as far as a NULA goes, if the old man himself isn't making them, then I'm not very interested. Certainly not interested in spending $4200+ just to take a gamble on whether or not Wilson builds as good of a bolt rifle as the originator.[and I say old man in a positive way, because I have heard that Melvin Forbes is one extremely gifted individual].

I appreciate any and all feedback, and I look forward to conversing with fellow sportsmen and rifle looneys!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Edit: looks like your post is more about rifles then the sale of NULA. Wilson makes great handguns and they will probably make a great rifle.

You could consider building your own. A BAT Machine Vampire action with a barrel from Criterion and a McMillan stock would be a nice build.

I'm no help on which custom maker to use.

Last edited:

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't be afraid of a 284 & looking at the options they're offering for short action calibers not sure I would agree you're serious about owning a light rifle. I own both 284 & 6.5x284 NULA's...nothing ever walked away from 284. Lapua brass now standard for 284 as well.

I'm considering ordering one & I can't imagine this company letting a rifle go out the door that didn't meet expectations as they have a stellar reputation.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP

Edit: looks like your post is more about rifles then the sale of NULA. Wilson makes great handguns and they will probably make a great rifle.

You could consider building your own. A BAT Machine Vampire action with a barrel from Criterion and a McMillan stock would be a nice build.

I'm no help on which custom maker to use.
Thank you for your response! Ya I thought about that title after I made the post, but I figured that maybe a lot of other looneys hadn't yet heard that NULA was sold.

I've definitely put some stock into building a rifle with the help of a local 'Smith using top quality components. But I'd also like to own a hunting rifle built by a well known rifle maker, since you're paying for the knowledge and skills that he's acquired over the years, if that makes sense.

I'm definitely bummed out that I waited so long to make a move on getting a NULA. I was worried that the day would come when Melvin Forbes retired from rifle making. Well deserved retirement, and he is firmly in the rifle maker's hall of fame. I hope that the Wilson NULA rifles are built with the same care and quality that all NULA rifles have been. Just doesn't seem like a custom rifle shop if you're only limited to five cartridges...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thank you for your response! Ya I thought about that title after I made the post, but I figured that maybe a lot of other looneys hadn't yet heard that NULA was sold.

I've definitely put some stock into building a rifle with the help of a local 'Smith using top quality components. But I'd also like to own a hunting rifle built by a well known rifle maker, since you're paying for the knowledge and skills that he's acquired over the years, if that makes sense.

I'm definitely bummed out that I waited so long to make a move on getting a NULA. I was worried that the day would come when Melvin Forbes retired from rifle making. Well deserved retirement, and he is firmly in the rifle maker's hall of fame. I hope that the Wilson NULA rifles are built with the same care and quality that all NULA rifles have been. Just doesn't seem like a custom rifle shop if you're only limited to five cartridges...
If you read that article more carefully you'll notice one key word "initially". That's regarding the clamberings offered after the transfer. Not sure what your hangup is with Wilson taking over. Melvin picked them personally to make the transition, and Wilson is successful across the board. Wilson and Cooper are owned by the same person and Coopers are excellent shooters. I think they'll be in good hands with solid financial backing and the blessings of the man himself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I wouldn't be afraid of a 284 & looking at the options they're offering for short action calibers not sure I would agree you're serious about owning a light rifle. I own both 284 & 6.5x284 NULA's...nothing ever walked away from 284. Lapua brass now standard for 284 as well.

I'm considering ordering one & I can't imagine this company letting a rifle go out the door that didn't meet expectations as they have a stellar reputation.

I'm pretty serious on getting a custom lightweight rifle. I was just set on NULA, but now that they're being bought by Wilson, I'd just rather go to Rifles Inc. unless someone gives me a good reason to avoid that company. I've only ever heard good about Lex Webernick and his work.

I don't want a 284 Win simply because I don't need or want another 7mm cartridge in the stable. I've got a healthy supply of 6.5x284 Norma brass as well and loaded Norma ammunition, too.

I would imagine that the Wilson NULA rifles will be good ones, at least I'd hope they would be. I've just never been someone to take the first jump on something new. We've all seen it more than once when a brand gets bought and the new company is not building the items as well as the old one. I'm not saying that Wilson would turn out junk; but I think it's fair to guess that it may take a while to build a rifle as well as they were being made by Melvin Forbes' hands.

Long story short, I'm just curious about Rifles Inc and some other custom makers out there. I already have some of what are considered high end factory rifles, so the focus is definitely on a custom shop.

OP
If you read that article more carefully you'll notice one key word "initially". That's regarding the clamberings offered after the transfer. Not sure what your hangup is with Wilson taking over. Melvin picked them personally to make the transition, and Wilson is successful across the board. Wilson and Cooper are owned by the same person and Coopers are excellent shooters. I think they'll be in good hands with solid financial backing and the blessings of the man himself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I would have to say that my main hangup is that NULA was sold once before as the original Ultra Light Arms to Colt, and from I understand the quality suffered and Melvin Forbes bought the company back, renaming it NULA. The Forbes Rifles story I'm less familiar with, but I also understand that venture was short-lived and Melvin Forbes again had to pull the plug due to quality issues? I'm certainly not well versed in the history of the company, but it is those kinds of issues that make very somewhat leery and skeptical when a company gets purchased. I'm a Sako fan from way back, and the old Sakos were a different rifle compared to the post-Beretta corporate buyout rifles. Just a better fit and finish on the pre-Beretta rifles, in my experience.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Probably the main difference between Rifles Inc & NULA is the action as I compare the two. If you've never seen a NULA, the action is a master piece...a whittled out 700 action is not a close comparison. Not sure if Rifles Inc full length beds or not but it's amazing how NULA's shoot to the same point of impact with a variety of loads.

Maybe you should look at Oregunsmithing as Wayne builds an excellent lightweight rifle and I prefer using a model 7 action over a lightened 700 for multiple reasons. He has a variety of stock options and will build whatever caliber you want. All the rifles from him I've had shoot under an inch with 5 shots in a +/- 6lb scoped short action.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Aside from our semi-custom line of rifles, we build full customs as well. Not to attempt to scare any one off, but of your thinking of building a custom rifle to hunt with in 2023, I would suggest starting the build ASAP. There’s a significant backlog of components in the industry, with a very high demand for finished rifles. Our wait time estimates and others in the industry will likely grow over the next 6-12 months.

That being said, we do stock certain components, and if you were interested in a full custom, we have a titanium LA Pierce receiver, Wildcat Custom ultralight mountain stock and #2 Bartlein barrels in 6.5mm. We could make you a very lightweight custom mountain rifle that comes with our 1/2 MOA guarantee, and it would be ready for this hunting season.

Please reach out if you have any questions or we can help you with any concerns in a rifle!

OP
I've heard that about NULA rifles. Is NULA the only rifle company that full length beds? I remember David Petzal saying that once a NULA rifle is sighted in that it doesn't shift point of impact, ever.

I have thought of going the custom route via purchasing my own components and enlisting the help of a good gunsmith. I live in northern Utah and there are a few reputable gunsmiths in my area. I have also looked at having Long Rifles Incorporated do a lot of the work. I have a Model Seven action that I'm using for a custom scout rifle project, and I'm thinking of getting another one for a lightweight rifle project.

Either way I'd have to supply the action for Rifles Inc as well, in which case I'd prefer to go the M70 route. I know that the M70 action is heavier, but 5.75 pounds for a finished rifle is still pretty lightweight in my book.

OP
Aside from our semi-custom line of rifles, we build full customs as well. Not to attempt to scare any one off, but of your thinking of building a custom rifle to hunt with in 2023, I would suggest starting the build ASAP. There’s a significant backlog of components in the industry, with a very high demand for finished rifles. Our wait time estimates and others in the industry will likely grow over the next 6-12 months.

That being said, we do stock certain components, and if you were interested in a full custom, we have a titanium LA Pierce receiver, Wildcat Custom ultralight mountain stock and #2 Bartlein barrels in 6.5mm. We could make you a very lightweight custom mountain rifle that comes with our 1/2 MOA guarantee, and it would be ready for this hunting season.

Please reach out if you have any questions or we can help you with any concerns in a rifle!
Thank you for your response. I will definitely keep your company in mind! I was wondering if the component shortage is getting worse, and it sounds like it is. I'm just grateful that I ordered the barrel I ordered for my custom scout rifle project when I did last year! I ordered a #3 taper barrel from PAC-NOR last April and received it in September. Glad I ordered it when I did!

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I own a couple of ULAs and a NULA. I have had many conversations with Melvin over the years and he deserves your admiration. The .284 Winchester is the cartridge that made ULA. The three inch box of the model 20 was made specifically for it. I think there have been more .284 model 20s made than any other cartridge. There are no flies on the .284, I love mine.

The previous sales of ULA were specifically to manufacture less expensive mass produced versions of Mels rifles. Big corporate, and cost cutting measures are the reasons they failed. Barret fieldcraft is a great example of what can happen when its done right. Wilsons intentions are to make actual NULAs, and the company is well known for doing things right. Melvin subcontracts much of the manufacturing, outside of the stock, to other companies, where Wilson has the capabilities in house. I expect the quality will be just as good as current manufacture.

Bill is currently answering questions in a thread over on 24hr campfire, I suggest you give it a read, it may change your mind. He even has plans to make a SS action down the road. When he does that I will be first in line money in hand.

OP
I own a couple of ULAs and a NULA. I have had many conversations with Melvin over the years and he deserves your admiration. The .284 Winchester is the cartridge that made ULA. The three inch box of the model 20 was made specifically for it. I think there have been more .284 model 20s made than any other cartridge. There are no flies on the .284, I love mine.

The previous sales of ULA were specifically to manufacture less expensive mass produced versions of Mels rifles. Big corporate, and cost cutting measures are the reasons they failed. Barret fieldcraft is a great example of what can happen when its done right. Wilsons intentions are to make actual NULAs, and the company is well known for doing things right. Melvin subcontracts much of the manufacturing, outside of the stock, to other companies, where Wilson has the capabilities in house. I expect the quality will be just as good as current manufacture.

Bill is currently answering questions in a thread over on 24hr campfire, I suggest you give it a read, it may change your mind. He even has plans to make a SS action down the road. When he does that I will be first in line money in hand.
Thank you for your response! I appreciate the insight, it is definitely helpful to hear from guys who have owned the rifles. Everything I'm hearing matches up with what the gun rag editors have always written about as well[not that they're always on the money].

That's what bummed me out the other day, reading that NULA had been sold. I was going to get one last year but it didn't happen, so I was shooting for this year. I sent Melvin Forbes a letter last year and he sent me a catalog with hand written notes asking me to call him. I never did due to some unexpected issues, and after seeing that he's hung it up I was wanting to kick myself pretty hard ha. I'm a younger man(early 30's) and have probably paid attention to custom rifles for only the past decade or so, but even back in my high school years I remember reading about how great NULA rifles were/are.

That gives me a great feeling of relief that Wilson Combat plans on building actual NULA rifles. I've turned into somewhat of a skeptic and I'm always leery when new management or a new company takes over. I had once been in conversation with both Nosler's Custom Shop when it existed and the Remington Custom Shop when they were still going. From my limited knowledge, I think that the Remington Custom Shop and Dakota Arms is now ParkWest Arms? I'm planning on having LRI do some action work soon for a Model Seven action I have, and I think their shop was contracted for work by Remington/Dakota? Shops right there in Sturgis and from what I can tell they did the extractor work and bolt machining for them?

I will definitely keep an open mind toward NULA after speaking with y'all about the future of the company. I'm just always leery of "badge engineering" to borrow a phrase from the auto industry, i.e. paying NULA prices for what is a Barrett Fieldcraft. Nothing against a Fieldcraft as they're fine hunting rifles, just wouldn't pay NULA prices for one.

Are you familiar with Rifles Inc and the rifles that Lex Webernick builds? I've also only ever heard positive feedback. I've also heard that Lex Webernick is pretty reserved compared to Melvin Forbes, not that it would impact my decision to do business with him.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
One of my hunting partners owns and hunts with a rifles inc built for him by lex. It’s is an outstanding rifle in every way. Oddly enough it’s a 6.5/284. I would actually say that it is more of a custom rifle than a NULA. It is built on a rem 700 ti action that my friend supplied. Lex lightened every part that could be and built it to customer specs. There likely is very few if any exactly like it.
NULAs are a little less custom in that you choose from a list of options and Melvin assembles your rifle from pre made and specd components. Chambering, barrel make, contour, trigger make, length of pull, paint. Ect.

the result is very similar just different ways of getting there.

tony

WKR
Should have ordered a NULA months ago I guess. Mr. Forbes is just a few hours north of me.

Thought I read on his site he sourced barrels from a place in WV as well?

I think the 6.5x284 would be great in a light rifle. I am not a fan of recoil, and putting a suppressor on a light rifle seems to defeat the purpose.

I had a 308 Fieldcraft that kicked with the heavies. I changed it for a 7-08 and shoot lighter bullets. I am still kicking myself for passing up a .243 win Fieldcraft on clearance for $1100 because I thought I had too many rifles 🥲. Those have a 3” box as well.

For the amount of money you are willing to spend, get exactly what you want!

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I think that elk is just playing dead...probably wasn't really dead until you gutted him/her depending on how it identified....that's been true with all the ones I've shot with 284...just playing dead...mine wears an NXS and comes in at 6.85 lbs...quite a bit lighter with a Leopold but kinda like the nightforce.

OP
One of my hunting partners owns and hunts with a rifles inc built for him by lex. It’s is an outstanding rifle in every way. Oddly enough it’s a 6.5/284. I would actually say that it is more of a custom rifle than a NULA. It is built on a rem 700 ti action that my friend supplied. Lex lightened every part that could be and built it to customer specs. There likely is very few if any exactly like it.
NULAs are a little less custom in that you choose from a list of options and Melvin assembles your rifle from pre made and specd components. Chambering, barrel make, contour, trigger make, length of pull, paint. Ect.

the result is very similar just different ways of getting there.
Thank you for your response! You make some very good points. Given what you and a few of the other guys have told me, I think that I'm going to go with the Rifles Inc. route for a custom lightweight rifle. I sent Lex Webernick an email asking a few questions and I look forward to hearing from him soon. With what I'm wanting to do and have built, I think that a Rifles Inc Lightweight 70 is going to be exactly what I'm looking for. I have a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36mm scope that I'm thinking is going to be mounted up in Talley Lightweight rings. Just want to keep it as light as possible, I've got other rifles with more optical firepower for longer range work.

OP
Should have ordered a NULA months ago I guess. Mr. Forbes is just a few hours north of me.

Thought I read on his site he sourced barrels from a place in WV as well?
That's how I'm feeling right now. Waited too long I suppose.