New unfired 300 win mag norma brass......Prep work?

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Have some norma brass (300wm) coming in and just wondering how much work will need to be put into it. Newer to reloading but was able to use my 6.5cm lapua brass out of the box. Wondering if I can do the same. I will only be neck sizing. I have no problem sizing, trimming, deburring, chamfering. Just wondering what everyone's experience has been lately with norma brass. Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
I use Norma in 7RM and 7/08. It is extremely consistent, to the point where I loaded it right out of the box after measuring several cases.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Norma- Worse case neck is not perfectly round, maybe dented. Spray the lot with one shot and run it in a bushing or expander die and let er eat..

Dunno how the 300wm are boxed maybe they got the styrofoam padding n what not then probably could just load and shoot, then do your normal thing..

You said your newer to reloading, If your bored, YouTube search “Eric Cortina Neck Sizing”

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
If your really bored, like If your wife (or significant other) is telling about Susan from work, and her break times or whatever, play the Eric Cortina video where he asks all the top shooters about their neck sizing practice with CC.

T28w

WKR
I just got some Norma for a 300 wsm. It was not as good as the Lapua 6.5 out of box. I ran an expander ball through the mouth, chamfered, demurred real quick and easy. What surprised me was I was having issues seating primer and how inconsistent the flash hole was. I’ve had to start using a primer pocket tool on every case just to ensure that the primers seat fully.

I don’t have a ton of experience, loaded approx 100 Lapua cases for 6.5, so it it for what’s its worth but seating the primers felt very different in the Lapua cases. Solid bottoming out and visually all primers seared with no issues. The first five in the Norma didn’t feel exactly right and there was a corner of the primer not seated fully. When I used the primer pocket tool it was making good contact and extremely tight. After this they seated much better and got rid of the high corner. I run a flash hole uniformed trough them, just because I have it laying there, the Lapua case didn’t need it, Almost all the Norma case are having material removed.

OP
B

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Norma- Worse case neck is not perfectly round, maybe dented. Spray the lot with one shot and run it in a bushing or expander die and let er eat..

Dunno how the 300wm are boxed maybe they got the styrofoam padding n what not then probably could just load and shoot, then do your normal thing..

You said your newer to reloading, If your bored, YouTube search “Eric Cortina Neck Sizing”
Yeah I have been plugged into eric's content lately and he is much more progressed then I am this is my first year reloading and I know he says neck sizing isn't the way but it has been working out for me so far. I will start FL sizing once I get better. I get sucked into all his video's the guy is really smart

OP
B

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some Norma for a 300 wsm. It was not as good as the Lapua 6.5 out of box. I ran an expander ball through the mouth, chamfered, demurred real quick and easy. What surprised me was I was having issues seating primer and how inconsistent the flash hole was. I’ve had to start using a primer pocket tool on every case just to ensure that the primers seat fully.

I don’t have a ton of experience, loaded approx 100 Lapua cases for 6.5, so it it for what’s its worth but seating the primers felt very different in the Lapua cases. Solid bottoming out and visually all primers seared with no issues. The first five in the Norma didn’t feel exactly right and there was a corner of the primer not seated fully. When I used the primer pocket tool it was making good contact and extremely tight. After this they seated much better and got rid of the high corner. I run a flash hole uniformed trough them, just because I have it laying there, the Lapua case didn’t need it, Almost all the Norma case are having material removed.
From the research I did I heard about this too. I measured all the brass and it all looked very well. All were in 0.003 of each other which I feel is pretty good. Only one smashed mouth out of 100. And they come in a bag in a box that just got hammered in shipping lol. Ill have to look into a primer pocket tool. All i have is hand me down stuff right now from my dad which is all prehistoric but working well so far. I upgraded my scale and throw to the auto trickler v3 and that has made weighing much more consistent and faster. Hopefully have a test loaded worked up by the end of the weekend. I'll report back once I seat some primers.

OP
B

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Well after looking over the brass again and prepping it.....chamfer and deburred and also had to size 1/4-1/2 the lot due to smashed mouths. Took them out and shot really well.