New Vehicle

I know there has been a lot of topics on vehicles lately and I have read up on most of the them. I at the point where I need to start thinking about my next vehicle. My current truck 2005 Z71 has been great and gets me everywhere I need to go but at 160,000 its getting up there. I would like to save the miles on that truck for serious hunting trips and get something else for a daily driver/simple hunting rig.

I am looking 1st for dependability. I would like to get a solid 200,000 out of it. Gas mileage is second. I have 5 kids so I am driving them everywhere right now so something in the 25-30 mile city would be great. We have a mini van for when all the kids are together. If possible a 3rd row seat but it doesn't have to have one. Something with decent 4 wheel drive. Most of my spots are pretty easy to get to and if I need to really do anything I still have the truck. I don't need the latest and greatest just something that rides nice all the other stuff is just things that break imo. I would like to pull my rhino behind it if possible

Again I know there has been a lot of vehicle post but any help/experience is appreciated

Thanks

Aviator04

FNG
I would recommend a Tahoe or Suburban, since they are very economical and roomy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
Newer but used Toyota 4Runner and be done with it. There gonna be about 2-5 miles shy of your mpg goal, but they have 3 row seat options, 4WD, has the necessaries but not all the frills that break; they are super dependable and they will run 250K+ miles....And, if you want to be the super cool dad, they take a small lift and larger tires very easily.

OP
M
Would love Land Cruiser but that is a little out of the price range and hoping to get better gas mileage. Even looking AWD since I will still have my truck.

OP
M
And no I am not looking to be the cool dad. It just has to get to A to B every time. I dont care what it looks like

260madman

WKR
25-30mpg city is asking a bit much for hauling 5 kids around.

ETA I just re read your post. I got nothing I’m familiar with unless it’s a small SUV with AWD.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
25+ will be hard if you’re dealing with city traffic. Our Kia Sorento is close, 22 city 28 hwy, 3rd row, awd, not great clearance or approach angle. It’s a beast on icy roads, good awd that doesn’t kick out of awd too often (Honda crv).

I sold my truck for a Subaru Forester. Compared to our Kia, better mpg, off road capability, icy on road capability, clearance. No 3rd row though. 26city 33hwy.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Toyota 4Runner or Sequoia. MPG, aren’t great but hard to beat the reliability

If MPG is a must then a Toyota Highlander will be a good option. A little less capable than the 4Runner or Sequoia but possibly one of the most reliable vehicles on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Get a suburban or similar (full-size SUV) and don’t complain about gas mileage. You’ll get 3 rows and still have space in the back for luggage. You can tow with it too. Has roof racks.

I’ll be honest, looking at what you want to do, I would not make gas mileage ANY kind of a priority. 5 kids, want to tow, get to backroad spots...yeah, be content with something that gets 18-20 mpg. You have a minivan for around town.

-OR-

Get a midsize SUV that will handle everyone and can reach your spots. Keep truck to tow. Understand you’ll be taking 2 vehicles instead of one to the spot.

Newer but used Toyota 4Runner and be done with it. There gonna be about 2-5 miles shy of your mpg goal, but they have 3 row seat options, 4WD, has the necessaries but not all the frills that break; they are super dependable and they will run 250K+ miles....And, if you want to be the super cool dad, they take a small lift and larger tires very easily.
I'm a 4runner owner, its my DD has been since 07'. I love it but I'm moving up to a land cruiser when I find the right one. I have a 3" lift and 33" (Cool dad status) tires, 16.5 avg mpg mostly city. Its been out west multiple times, & Canada. I get anywhere I need to go where I live(Midwest). Plus the 4runner is very comfortable to sleep in if your into that kinda thing, and has a pretty decent tow rating. 2021 "should be" a new design FWIW.

Depending on the age of your kids and if there are car seats involved it could be a tough fit. But 4 adults can comfortably fit.

I look at it like this, if you look around the world where peoples vehicle choices can literally be life or death (Africa/Australia/etc.) You will find a lot of Hilux/Prado (4runner/Taco chassis) or land cruisers. 200k on a toyota is nothing if properly maintained, I'm a total Toyota fan boy, admittedly.

Just drive your truck. I have a Tahoe with 266,000 miles and won't stop driving it ever. No reason to buy a third vehicle, pay insurance, taxes and all that stuff. Unless you just want to spend money on another car. You won't save any money.

OP
M
Really not looking for something the size of a suburban. Not much money and really don’t need that much room. Most of the time I am only with a few of the kids when we get anywhere to crazy. Most of the time the mini van serves us well enough for family vacations. The few times we have need more room for gear I just drive up a few days early with the truck and set up camp.

The reason for a new vehicle is I am a little worried about putting more day to day miles on my truck when I can use that as just a hunting truck. I am also at the point where I am not sure how much I trust a 15 year old truck traveling across the west.

I think something the size of a 4Runner would be great. Hopefully I can get at least 20mpg around town, decent 4 wheel or awd, possibly a 3rd row but not necessary, can haul my rhino and most important dependable

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I friend also suggested a Subaru Ascent

xziang

WKR
3rd row seat and 4wheel drive plus 25-30mpg and in your price range, ahh god luck sorry. Old subaru but then you risk dependable and even that might not get 25mpg. For DD and a vehicle with great MPG and could use for hunting on GRAVEL road (no 4x4) 2015 TDI (diesel) VW sportwagon manual if you can find it.