New Victory TL 75 grain half outs Review.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to give my opinion and quick review of the new TL outserts. I’ll start by saying I’ve built so many different arrow combinations over the years it’s almost embarrassing. Originally I really loved micros (not just Vaps) until I ran into the true achilles of all micros arrows, the insert/outsert/halfouts and the the durability issues or getting them to spin perfectly. That was over 7 years ago or so when I first started messing with micros. As most know the penetrators were terrible and I’m not shooting an elk with a deep 6. So I went away from them and built 5mm arrows.
Fast forward to 2017-2018 or so and I tried again going micro with Ethics, Firenocks, ballistic, Easton system. I figured I’d try once more with the new TLs this spring.
I built a dozen Vap TKOs with the new 75 SS insert. They are similar to the Shok insert at the front but they completely sleeve over the shaft about 1/2” so I’m glueing not only the inside of my arrow and insert but also the sleeve to the outside of my shaft. It seems to really reinforce the build. Each insert was within 1 grain or less of 75. If I didn’t explain that well I’ll add a picture at the bottom. In the picture I set both shafts at the exact same place so you can see how far it sleeves over the outside of the shaft. Total arrow weight 480 grain. As any decent OCD arrow builder I cut my shafts as straight as possible even though in my experience with the V1s they are crazy straight. Then I squared both sides. I’m a big believe in AAE Max impact for inserts so that’s what I used (it gives you plenty of time to spin test and tweak with it to get it perfect). I dry fit each insert on the shaft with a long field point to amplify any wobble. Honestly getting every single arrow out of my dozen to spin super true was easy. After initially glueing in my insert I typically just rotate a quarter turn as needed until my arrow spins perfectly balanced. I think I only had 1-2 I had to toy with. They came out great.
What really mattered to me was how they held up after lots of shooting, I shot both bales and 3d. If I had to guess I’ve probably shot 2000 plus arrows since building them. They have held up remarkably well. With the old Shok 95 SS inserts or the 34 grain aluminums I’d have a few that wouldn’t spin true by now but not the case thus far with the TLs. I even T-boned the aluminum sleeve that runs up the leg of a deer target which holds it upright and my slick trick mag got tore up and needed replacement but my insert and arrow was fine. Knock on wood cause some day soon I’ll prob forget to move my slider between shots and launch a arrow at the frame of our bales or the angle iron that keeps them compressed.
Bottom line, I’m really impressed with the new inserts Victory came out with. For me it’s not about the money but having gear I can count on. The price isn’t bad though. For guys that like micros due to minimal wind drift, good penetration, but concerned about how the business end is attached to your arrow I’d say give them a try. For the record this is just my opinion I have zero affiliation with any companies, I’m just a tinkerer with a hunting and archery addiction. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about which route to go.
32808052-6F71-43E9-9276-20180FD35D51.jpeg

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
Are those a two part system, insert and collar? Also, what didn’t you like about the Ethics system for micros?
Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BK Ammenwerth

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
The Victorys are 1 piece and that’s what I like about them. Ethics are a good design and tough, however after following ethics advice on how to install it was really a PITA. Im also not crazy about the 2 piece construction. I want to keep it stupid simple if possible. All the sanding and boring out of the shaft to prep it. I’m not opposed to doing whatever it takes but there’s just too many variables sanding like that with a block and tightening your cordless drill around your arrow shaft....no thanks. It’s a fine system but could use some tweaking imo. I know they said they are designed like that but I’m not a fan. They also suggested goat tuff glue (which I would never use again) because it doesn’t have a long enough working time to get an arrow to spin perfectly especially if your OCD about arrows like I am and you need to make an adjustment. Too late it’s already set with a wobble. My first one went great, spun true......second was a total dud. That was the last Goat Tuff any outsert has ever seen. I’m a AAE Max Imoact or 30:06 outdoors insert weld guy because it give you some working time. But sometime us archery nuts are splitting really fine hairs. Naturally we want the best but honestly only the best shooters in the world could maybe shoot well enough to notice the difference we obsess over. Bottom line I enjoy shooting but what I really care about is taking an animal as swiftly as possible.

Unfortunately when I used the stainless Shok inserts I found they were so bad that I'll never try another Victory half out insert again. I found that Easton HIT inserts work much better in the Victory RIP shafts.

OP
BK Ammenwerth

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the old 95 SS Victory half outs and everything before that too. But the new ones are legit

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
These new TL inserts are a huge upgrade from the old 95g SS Shok inserts. I was getting pretty frustrated with the old Shoks not spinning true to the point where I was just about to switch systems (arrows, inserts, etc) all together. I've had zero issues with the TL thus far. Really digging 'em.

mac541

Lil-Rokslider
Weird, I don't have any issues with the 95gr ss outserts. When they come out with ss 95gr in this new outsert design I'll switch to those. but I dont have any issues with the old version ss outserts.

mtnkid85

WKR
Hmm, I might give these a try. Im currently using the ethics system and Im kinda ho hum about them. I wonder what the sanding is doing to the shafts strength. Ive broke three Easton injections with 75gr Ethics outserts right behind the outsert. Two where hitting steel inside of 3d targets and the other was a clean miss into rocky soil.

Im not sure if this is just how these systems fail or if by sanding down the shaft Im creating a pressure ridge of sorts.

TheViking

WKR
Great review, thanks!

How’d you like the Easton Titanium 55 grain ones?

I’m researching my options for a VAP build and really like this option! I’m not the biggest fan of Ethics for the exact same reasons as you stated above. Easton seems alright, but I like how this covers the shaft like a footer.

wysongdog

WKR
I put the tl 75 grain outserts on my arrows and am very impressed. Good solid fit. Very well made. They fly very well and are tough. Had a head up a$$ moment missed the target hit my pipe fence behind target, broke the arrow but the outsert and broadhead were still intact and square on the arrow. With the exception of the tip of broadhead folded over lol.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
I put the tl 75 grain outserts on my arrows and am very impressed. Good solid fit. Very well made. They fly very well and are tough. Had a head up a$$ moment missed the target hit my pipe fence behind target, broke the arrow but the outsert and broadhead were still intact and square on the arrow. With the exception of the tip of broadhead folded over lol.

Did it break right behind the insert?

Great review, thanks!

I’m researching my options for a VAP build and really like this option! I’m not the biggest fan of Ethics for the exact same reasons as you stated above. Easton seems alright, but I like how this covers the shaft like a footer.

Just finished gluing the Easton halfout ive found putting a footer behind it greatly increases durability, this is the VAP 250 50 grain weight footer and halfout 535 grains four fletched with a 100 grain head 560 with a 125

Attachments

• BB0A238F-A916-4D4F-A03A-F99BCD58ABA1.jpeg
    BB0A238F-A916-4D4F-A03A-F99BCD58ABA1.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 182
Just purchased the new style Shok TL 75 grain and they appear to be good quality. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet but it was easy to get them spinning true. Just FYI, the end of the insert shaft has a cavity and can be easily tapped with 5-40 NC threads to add the GT .166 fact weight system or set screw for extra weight. Needed about 30 extra grains up front so this worked out perfect. Thanks for the review BK. I have also tested many micro components without success. Wouldn't have tried these without your review. I really liked the Easton titanium outserts as referenced above but they were also inferior without a footer. Great idea Don, let us know how they perform. What did you use for the footer?

Attachments

• IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Great review, thanks!

The Easton's titaniums. There very expensive 45 for 6 and they do not hold up well. All the pressure is on the end of the Arrow and they will crack.