New Virginia member.

Samsara

FNG
Hello all, I am a new member and new hunter from Virginia. I've been trying to get into hunting for at least several years, and am finally set up to actually start this year. I'll be starting out rifle hunting but feel more drawn to archery, especially traditional. Despite knowing plenty of people that shoot and/or hunt, I haven't found anyone eager to buddy up or mentor, so it seems I'll be trying to get it done by any DIY means necessary. Fake it till you make it. I'm in my late 30s and seem to know fewer and fewer people as time goes on, but I'm not going to let that stop me from exploring this interest any longer. Looking forward to learning a lot here.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
From one VA newbie hunter to another, welcome to Rokslide.

Since you are in Virginia, there is a DWR Mentor program that pairs new hunters with mentors. It is a little bit late in the season if you are wanting to hunt deer, but you can try to get paired up now or next year.

I signed up for it this year and my mentor has helped me get my rifle and shotgun ready and we have had several conversations about some good public land spots and what to look for.

Also since you are in Virginia. Depending on where you are hunting in Virginia, the legal firearms might be shotgun and not rifle to take deer. Make sure to check the county restrictions to find out what firearms are legal.

Hi @Samsara and @awasome - fellow adult onset hunter here! Caught the bug out in CO a few years ago (mule deer, elk), and now moved to VA last year. Lots to learn about VA hunting, and I'm excited to go for whitetail, and try waterfowl and more out here. I'm in the NOVA area. Would be glad to connect out here - definitely looking for hunting partners.