Vortex HD LHT

SDHNTR

WKR
The LRHS/LRTS are nice scopes, no doubt, just way too heavy for my preference. I tried one on my 84M and on my Fieldcraft and never liked them. Too big, too heavy...

edit: to add, for those looking to dial for long range, or okay with 20+ oz scopes, there are a multitude of scopes to choose from. It’s us 500 yd max shooters looking for a durable scope that is also relatively light weight, and has a functional reticle for dark timber hunting that have limited options. I’d also prefer no illumination. A good reticle and decent glass works fine, as Vortex demonstrated with their 1.5-8x32 HD LH.
I want that scope too! And actually, this news of Vortx going the other direction with a 30 mill tube saddens me.

bradb

WKR
I dont' think it will be lighter then the LH, I am guessing a few onces heavier

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I’ll hold off the weight judgement until I see what they come up with. Going to a 30mm tube from a 1” doesn’t have to mean heavier. Maybe a 30mm carbon tube! Ha ha, okay, back to reality... I just know that many aluminum bicycle and motorcycle frames are all thinner, but larger diameter to achieve the desired strength with less weight. Relate to a scope design? Who knows. But the fact that it’s 30mm and has parallax adjustment my gut tells me we’ll get yet another 20oz scope. Looks like a 30mm tube and modified dials on the previous 3-15x42 HD LH. I’ve always thought the large brass pieces in the dial seemed like an opportunity to save weight. That and smaller objective lenses. I get the sense that actual engineering to achieve a lighter, yet durable, scope really has not been done in the past. I am very interested in what Vortex comes up with, if anything, but I’m not terribly optimistic it will be what I’m looking for.
Apparently I’m a dinosaur. I hunt dark timber at first and last light and would like to see the reticle (I don’t want anything electrical on my scope); if I’m in the open I keep my shooting to <500 for planning (much, much less has been my reality); I’d like to be able to reliably dial elevation for the many different loads and elevations I hunt/shoot; I hunt very steep terrain, a reasonable distance from the truck, and I’m not getting any younger, so I like my setup to be as light as possible.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Looks like we'll get some info Thursday, and MIL/MIL is a thing per the Vortex rep on Snipers Hide.

Reactions: prm

OutdoorAg

WKR
The weight is going to make or break this debut.

18-22ish and most guys will be pumped.

24 starts to be that line in the sand.

Anything 26 and beyond will get a fair amount of criticism.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
The weight is going to make or break this debut.

18-22ish and most guys will be pumped.

24 starts to be that line in the sand.

Anything 26 and beyond will get a fair amount of criticism.

There are already countless scopes to choose from in those ranges. If it retains the LH moniker I would be pumped if it is under 17.
17-22 Whatever..., I can get an SHV, SWFA SS, etc.
>22 Hard pass. I would have already bought an NXS or LHRS if I wanted one that heavy.

OutdoorAg

WKR
No chance it’s under 17. None. Not without some unseen tech upgrade that puts the scope on Euro alpha level pricing. Or not without a compromise or three. It’s been shown (currently) that in order to be a repeatable erector, there’s some weight involved.

Most likely, vortex made their own version of the LRHS. And mine weighs 25oz. And it’s the best 25oz on my rifle.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider

Looks like this may be it, vortex razor lht. 19.2 oz

ChrisAU

WKR
Zero lock, exposed elevation, adjustable parallax, capped windage, illumination, MIL/MIL, 19.2 oz?

That is intriguing...

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Well, based only on that small amount of info it looks like a nice scope. Perhaps compare with either the SHV or NXS line, or perhaps VX5 or VX6? I’m a fan of the G4 reticle, and the basic set of features seems positive. But I don’t see anything yet to make it really standout from quite a few other scopes. They’ve seemingly chosen to enter into a competitive niche vice bringing something that stands out. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the 1.5-8x36 in terms of size and weight to serve as a true lightweight alternative. I’m not really representative of the bigger market. Regardless, I look forward to reading more about it and seeing some reviews.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Ryan,
Once the embargo date passes, look forward to any thoughts you may have on how the scope dials, retains zero, etc.