New Vortex PRO Binocular Adapter

ldrathman

WKR
Hey All,

Came across this product as I am in the market for a new bino adapter for my tripod. Looks as if this was probably released alongside Vortex's new line of 2021 tripods. I was initially planning on investing in the Outdoorsman bino adapter given it's so well regarded here on the forums. This design looks to be almost exactly the same. The only thing that caught my eye about this design, was the milled portion of the stud's barrel compared to the Outdoorsman's stud which is smooth. Mind you, I've never used the Outdoorsman, but the from reading various forum posts it sounds like the only knock on it is there can be a very subtle amount of play rotationally. I assume the milled perforations on the Vortex stud might be to "lock" it in more precisely when it is placed in the adapter, negating any rotational play.

Given I assume this product was released fairly recently, I doubt anyone has any first-hand experience with it, but if you do I'd love to hear some feedback. The only reason i'd consider trying this adapter out first is that it's selling for $70 on Cabela's and I have a giftcard burning a hole in my pocket. Would love to hear yall's thoughts/opinions. Maybe there is Vortex rep perusing the forums who'd like to step in and speak more to it.

Adapter Link: https://vortexoptics.com/pro-binocular-adapter.html
Stud Link: https://vortexoptics.com/pro-binocular-adapter-stud.html

Thanks,

Last edited:
OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
*UPDATE 1/13* - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one from Cabela's; I figure worst case scenario the adapter isn't up to snuff and I'll return it. Note, unlike the Outdoorsman, the $70 price tag does include the stud which fits a standard 1/4"-20 socket/thread. I'll update here with my initial thoughts when I receive the adapter.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Man, Vortex has been a month too late for me on this too. Had already decided their tripods and adapter weren't good enough and bought promaster tripod and Mutnt bino adapter which is similar to this and the outdoorsmans

snel6424

FNG
Good catch. I wish there were videos of it. Looks like a promising (i.e. cheaper) version of the Outdoorsman!

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
Man, Vortex has been a month too late for me on this too. Had already decided their tripods and adapter weren't good enough and bought promaster tripod and Mutnt bino adapter which is similar to this and the outdoorsmans

Bummer! Looks like Vortex’s 2021 tripod lineup is pretty sweet, but for the money I don’t think you can go wrong with Promaster. Just picked up their SPCH20 pan head used in the classifieds and was blown away by the quality for the $. Saw the Mutnt on Amazon and didn’t look much into it beyond that but looks very similar to the Outdoorsman. If Vortex’s is of similar quality/function it could give outdoorsman a run for their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
Good catch. I wish there were videos of it. Looks like a promising (i.e. cheaper) version of the Outdoorsman!

Agreed. Surprised they didn’t highlight the adapter and their new pan heads with their own product videos. Also odd they aren’t selling the new pan heads by themselves. They look as compact as the outdoorsman, but given the price of the tripod + head I’d assume the head by itself would be quite a bit cheaper than outdoorsman.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
*UPDATE 1/13* - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one from Cabela's; I figure worst case scenario the adapter isn't up to snuff and I'll return it. Note, unlike the Outdoorsman, the $70 price tag does include the stud which fits a standard 1/4"-20 socket/thread. I'll update here with my initial thoughts when I receive the adapter.
Let me know what you think of it and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

That looks like it would get hung up going in and out of a bino harness.

This one slides in and, out slick and easy. It's a bit pricier, but a great option.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
That looks like it would get hung up going in and out of a bino harness.

This one slides in and, out slick and easy. It's a bit pricier, but a great option.

Only the stud would stay attached to the binos, which I don’t see getting in the way when going in and out of your harness. It’s identical to the outdoorsman stud and I’ve seen no such complaints. You are correct however that the adapter is a separate piece you’d have to store elsewhere, not attached to the binos at all times. I’d never seen the one you linked but it looks interesting! My only worry is the lack of clearance between the bottom of the “cinch” and the pan head you’d be sliding it into. With the taller adapters you get some additional height so your face isn’t as close to the head. But I have no experience with the Really Right Stuff cinch so maybe it’s a non-issue.

Foster_65

FNG
i saw this as well and looks to be alternative for the outdoorsman. i thoguht on the website it was about 100 and 29 for the stud, but i assume thats msrp and not what they will hit the shelves for. let us know how you like it, as i am also interested.

Drenalin

WKR
i saw this as well and looks to be alternative for the outdoorsman. i thoguht on the website it was about 100 and 29 for the stud, but i assume thats msrp and not what they will hit the shelves for. let us know how you like it, as i am also interested.
It looks like retail is $70 for the post and the stud.

Only the stud would stay attached to the binos, which I don’t see getting in the way when going in and out of your harness. It’s identical to the outdoorsman stud and I’ve seen no such complaints. You are correct however that the adapter is a separate piece you’d have to store elsewhere, not attached to the binos at all times. I’d never seen the one you linked but it looks interesting! My only worry is the lack of clearance between the bottom of the “cinch” and the pan head you’d be sliding it into. With the taller adapters you get some additional height so your face isn’t as close to the head. But I have no experience with the Really Right Stuff cinch so maybe it’s a non-issue.

Not sure I understand your concern, but your face is actually further from the head than on conventional center stud mounts. You're either totally left or totally right of the head, depending on which barrel you attach the cinch to.

Not trying to pitch a sale here. Just a little clarification on another option. It's always good to have options. ✌️

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
Howdy,

Received the adapter from Cabela's in the mail on Friday, but given it's busy season (public accountant), I didn't get time to set it up and play with it until Sunday night. I've summarized my thoughts and added some photos below. Hopefully this helps those of you who are interested in the adapter! Thanks.

IMG_0728.jpg
Packaging was small and basic. Nothing fancy here.

IMG_0730.jpg
Here's everything that came in the box. Instructions, the adapter + stud, a 2mm Allan wrench for the stud, and a 1.3mm Allan wrench for the set screw on the stud (more on this later).

InkedIMG_0731_LI.jpg
Here is the stud and the adapter. The adapter is milled aluminum, as is the silver screw down knob on top. Right off the bat, I fiddled with the silver knob to determine how the locking mechanism worked. Essentially, there are micro-grooves milled into the barrel of the stud (see next picture). After inserting into the adapter, you screw down the silver knob which lowers a V-shaped piece of aluminum until it seats into one of the grooves of the stud's barrel. One thing I noted was that unlike the Outdoorsman, there is no spring-loaded ball detent in the stud that 'locks' the stud into the adapter when it's inserted. Instead there are two small O-rings on either end of the stud that lock it into place when inserted. into the adapter The O-rings provide a satisfying 'click' when the stud is inserted and from my brief testing (shaking the binos inverted when inserted in the adapter, without the crown screwed down) I am not worried that the stud would come unseated from the adapter when the crown is not fully tightened. I'm sure it could happen, but I don't foresee a realistic situation in which enough force would be created to unseat it.

IMG_0738 (1).jpg
Here is the stud, You can see the milling on the barrel as well as the two O-rings I mentioned above. The stud is made of metal and feels solid.

Now here is where I ran into my issue with the stud. I followed the directions, inserting the stud into the threaded adapter on my Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42's and lightly tightening it using the provided 2mm Allan wrench. Next, per the instructions, I lightly tightened the set screw (see circled in the picture above). This could be a case of user error, but from looking at the set screw placement, it seems its only job is to be tightened, which makes it protrude from the back of the stud, making contact with the hinge surface of the binos and thus holding the stud in place, and not allowing it to rotate. The set screw is pointed, so I see no other way of it doing its job than by tapping a micro indentation into the metal of the bino's hinge? This not only creates a small cosmetic issue, but just seems like an entirely inefficient way of 'setting' the stud. Unfortunately I didn't think too much into the mechanics of the set screw and chose to simply follow the provided directions. If you look at a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42's and adjust the interpupillary distance, you'll notice that the threads where studs are installed actually remain static in their orientation to one of the barrels and the other barrel rotates around the threads. Given the bino's mechanics and the placement of the set screw (which stays fixed), when I adjusted the interpupillary distance, the set screw essentially ground a small semi-circle line into the hinge (see below). Not a huge deal on a $200 pair of binos, but I feel like I followed the directions as they were written, and even after some detailed investigating, I see no other way for that set screw to function in a way that wouldn't dig into the hinge. I ended up just backing out the set screw as the stud was held adequately without it and I wanted to avoid creating any more scratches.

BEFORE:
IMG_0746.jpg

AFTER:

InkedIMG_0740_LI.jpg

Here are some shots of the binos in the adapter on my pan head (Promaster SPCH20).
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Final Thoughts:
- The set screw debacle was frustrating, and led to a minor gouge on the hinge of my binos. They are cheap, so not the end of the world, but nonetheless would have preferred for that to not happen. I totally understand I could be missing the intended function of the set screw and the scratch could be due to user error, I'm sure someone in the comments can speak to that. If however, it is suppose to function in the manner I assume it is, it's a flawed design. I don't think the set screw is even needed, and I'll personally be running the stud without it.

- Once the stud is inserted into the adapter and the crown is screwed down, there is absolutely NO wiggle or movement of the binos. Due to the fineness of the grooves milled into the barrel, when tightened, there is no room for the stud to rotate side to side. I've heard some people experiencing a minor amount of movement when using the Outdoorsman stud; however I experience no such movement on this adapter when locked in place.

- A potential point of failure could be the O-rings. Were they to pop off the stud or deteriorate over time, I don't think the stud would "click' into the adapter and would be able to fall out unless the crown was all the way tightened. It's unlikely this would happen, and O-rings are extremely cheap to replace, but still a thought that crossed my mind.

CONCLUSION: Is the adapter worth the $70? Probably. It seems of good quality and despite the set screw issue will serve its intended purpose for me. What stood out most to me was how solid the binos felt once locked into the adapter. Having zero play once locked in was a big factor for me. At the end of the day the adapter does everything it needs to: the stud is universal, it locks in place solidly, no play in the adapter when glassing, built from sturdy materials, and decently affordable. I still might pick up an outdoorsman adapter just to compare them side by side and see if the Outdoorsman is clearly worth the extra $25 over this. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Howdy,

Received the adapter from Cabela's in the mail on Friday, but given it's busy season (public accountant), I didn't get time to set it up and play with it until Sunday night. I've summarized my thoughts and added some photos below. Hopefully this helps those of you who are interested in the adapter! Thanks.

View attachment 254144
Packaging was small and basic. Nothing fancy here.

View attachment 254145
Here's everything that came in the box. Instructions, the adapter + stud, a 2mm Allan wrench for the stud, and a 1.3mm Allan wrench for the set screw on the stud (more on this later).

View attachment 254238
Here is the stud and the adapter. The adapter is milled aluminum, as is the silver screw down knob on top. Right off the bat, I fiddled with the silver knob to determine how the locking mechanism worked. Essentially, there are micro-grooves milled into the barrel of the stud (see next picture). After inserting into the adapter, you screw down the silver knob which lowers a V-shaped piece of aluminum until it seats into one of the grooves of the stud's barrel. One thing I noted was that unlike the Outdoorsman, there is no spring-loaded ball detent in the stud that 'locks' the stud into the adapter when it's inserted. Instead there are two small O-rings on either end of the stud that lock it into place when inserted. into the adapter The O-rings provide a satisfying 'click' when the stud is inserted and from my brief testing (shaking the binos inverted when inserted in the adapter, without the crown screwed down) I am not worried that the stud would come unseated from the adapter when the crown is not fully tightened. I'm sure it could happen, but I don't foresee a realistic situation in which enough force would be created to unseat it.

View attachment 254150
Here is the stud, You can see the milling on the barrel as well as the two O-rings I mentioned above. The stud is made of metal and feels solid.

Now here is where I ran into my issue with the stud. I followed the directions, inserting the stud into the threaded adapter on my Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42's and lightly tightening it using the provided 2mm Allan wrench. Next, per the instructions, I lightly tightened the set screw (see circled in the picture above). This could be a case of user error, but from looking at the set screw placement, it seems its only job is to be tightened, which makes it protrude from the back of the stud, making contact with the hinge surface of the binos and thus holding the stud in place, and not allowing it to rotate. The set screw is pointed, so I see no other way of it doing its job than by tapping a micro indentation into the metal of the bino's hinge? This not only creates a small cosmetic issue, but just seems like an entirely inefficient way of 'setting' the stud. Unfortunately I didn't think too much into the mechanics of the set screw and chose to simply follow the provided directions. If you look at a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42's and adjust the interpupillary distance, you'll notice that the threads where studs are installed actually remain static in their orientation to one of the barrels and the other barrel rotates around the threads. Given the bino's mechanics and the placement of the set screw (which stays fixed), when I adjusted the interpupillary distance, the set screw essentially ground a small semi-circle line into the hinge (see below). Not a huge deal on a $200 pair of binos, but I feel like I followed the directions as they were written, and even after some detailed investigating, I see no other way for that set screw to function in a way that wouldn't dig into the hinge. I ended up just backing out the set screw as the stud was held adequately without it and I wanted to avoid creating any more scratches.

BEFORE:
View attachment 254256

AFTER:

View attachment 254244

Here are some shots of the binos in the adapter on my pan head (Promaster SPCH20).
View attachment 254251

View attachment 254252

Final Thoughts:
- The set screw debacle was frustrating, and led to a minor gouge on the hinge of my binos. They are cheap, so not the end of the world, but nonetheless would have preferred for that to not happen. I totally understand I could be missing the intended function of the set screw and the scratch could be due to user error, I'm sure someone in the comments can speak to that. If however, it is suppose to function in the manner I assume it is, it's a flawed design. I don't think the set screw is even needed, and I'll personally be running the stud without it.

- Once the stud is inserted into the adapter and the crown is screwed down, there is absolutely NO wiggle or movement of the binos. Due to the fineness of the grooves milled into the barrel, when tightened, there is no room for the stud to rotate side to side. I've heard some people experiencing a minor amount of movement when using the Outdoorsman stud; however I experience no such movement on this adapter when locked in place.

- A potential point of failure could be the O-rings. Were they to pop off the stud or deteriorate over time, I don't think the stud would "click' into the adapter and would be able to fall out unless the crown was all the way tightened. It's unlikely this would happen, and O-rings are extremely cheap to replace, but still a thought that crossed my mind.

CONCLUSION: Is the adapter worth the $70? Probably. It seems of good quality and despite the set screw issue will serve its intended purpose for me. What stood out most to me was how solid the binos felt once locked into the adapter. Having zero play once locked in was a big factor for me. At the end of the day the adapter does everything it needs to: the stud is universal, it locks in place solidly, no play in the adapter when glassing, built from sturdy materials, and decently affordable. I still might pick up an outdoorsman adapter just to compare them side by side and see if the Outdoorsman is clearly worth the extra $25 over this. Hope this is helpful to someone.
Thanks for the feedback and the thorough review - we really appreciate it! As far as the set screw goes, that is meant to be backed out slightly while threading the the stud in. Once the stud is secure you would tighten the set screw just so it makes contact and keeps it from slipping.

I agree that this isn't very clear in the instructions, so we are looking at revising those and will be putting out a video going over it.

If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to reach out!

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks for the feedback and the thorough review - we really appreciate it! As far as the set screw goes, that is meant to be backed out slightly while threading the the stud in. Once the stud is secure you would tighten the set screw just so it makes contact and keeps it from slipping.

I agree that this isn't very clear in the instructions, so we are looking at revising those and will be putting out a video going over it.

If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to reach out!

Right, we get that. But, with this design (and others with very similar designs) that set screw will scratch the binoculars if the screw is set into the pivot side of the bino when IPD is changed. And IPD is often changed inadvertently. The main stud will be stationary with one side of the bino but not the other, and if the set screw is on the side that moves in relation to the main stud then that set screw will scratch the binos, period.